Apples are an integral part of daily diet
Who doesn’t want to eat apples? More or less all the people across the globe like to eat apple or cherishes their juice. Apple is full of biochemical compounds like antioxidants, which help to combat free radicals in the body, thus putting away many ailments. The fruit is known for its phytonutrients, antioxidants, and dietary fibre that help fight heart disease, cancer, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, diabetes, and stroke. It is famous for a fibre called Pectin. This soluble fibre is known for innumerable health benefits. This is one of my favourite fruits after Mango. Because of its nutritional facts and surprising health benefits, it is considered a superfood. It is called ‘miracle food’ due to widespread cultivation and consumption. Here, we will discuss some of the fantastic health benefits of eating apples that are generally unknown to many.
This is a single fruit resembling a heart or just like a heart shape. So, eating apples means you are saving your soul.
The tree loaded with apples has aesthetic value. Several poets have written about its magnificence. The beauty of an apple tree or orchard is the cynosure of attraction. That’s why many people, including tourists, like to visit Himachal Pradesh and Jammu & Kashmir of India during the season of apples.
Nine wonder benefits of apple
1. Apple for weight loss: The fruit is rich in fibre. Eating this fruit discourages your longing for food, thus saving you from extra calories. Digestion of pectin requires more time, making your stomach full longer. It may also contain ursolic acid, which reduces the risk of obesity and may be helpful to make you slim and trim. An adequate amount of fibre helps smooth bowel movement and ensures the effective functioning of digestion. Even the doctor suggests a rich fibre diet for obese people. Also read: Amalaki for weight loss
2. Apple for Alzheimer’s disease: The free radicals can degenerate the brain cells and may cause Alzheimer’s. But apple contains a powerful antioxidant called quercetin that prevents the decaying of brain cells. The fruit is also known for flavonoids, suitable for your brain and neurological problems. It helps increase memory and logical reasoning by stimulating the acetylcholine.
3. Apple for a healthy heart: the soluble fibre pectin acts as an anti-cholesterol that works upon it in the intestine and reduces the gravity of cholesterol levels. Soluble fibre reduces the chances of cholesterol formation in the arteries, too. Apple skin contains phenolic and flavonoid substances that prevent plaque accumulation in the artery walls, thus warding off the risk of heart disease. Pectin and a bunch of phenolic compounds reduce total and bad cholesterol. New research at Florida State University has confirmed that older women who eat apples have reduced the risk of bad cholesterol (LDL) by 23 % while increasing good cholesterol (HDL) levels by 4% after six months.
4. Apple prevents cancer: Apple is full of anti-cancer benefits. The American Association for Cancer Research has shown that apple reduces the chances of developing pancreatic cancer as it is rich in flavonol compounds. As researchers at Cornell University recommended, its peel contains triterpenoids that can ward off liver, colon, and breast cancer. Because of its high fibre, the miracle fruit may reduce the risk of colorectal cancer, as the National Cancer Institute, USA, suggested. This is one of the few fruits which is associated with the reduction of lung cancer.
5. Apple controls diabetes: Apple reduces the risk of diabetes, especially type 2 diabetes. The soluble fibre in the fruit is helpful in blood sugar regulation. The presence of quercetin and flavonoid compounds slows down the carbohydrate assimilation process. Polyphenols delay glucose absorption and stimulate the pancreas to secrete more insulin. Please read: Home remedies for diabetes
6. Apple for Parkinson’s protection: It has been proved by the scientific community that eating high-fibre-rich fruits helps to fight against Parkinson’s disease. The fruit helps to stop the breakdown of dopamine-producing nerve cells, which may be the reason for Parkinson’s disease.
7. Apple protects against stroke: Research conducted in the USA has suggested that the intake of apples reduces the risk of thrombotic stroke. Eating apples over a long period powerfully reduces the chances of stroke. Quercetin in apple acts as an anti-stroke, as per the scientists.
8. Apple for respiratory problems: Apple might be used as an anti-asthmatic due to the presence of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds. Several studies have recommended apple’s positive relation in lowering the risk of respiratory problems. A study conducted at Aberdeen University found that food rich in antioxidants and vitamins reduces the chances of asthma and other respiratory problems. For asthmatic kids, if given apple juice, the symptoms decrease gradually. There is less likely to develop respiratory problems in the newborn if the pregnant mother eat apple regularly
9. Apple for skin care and beauty: The fruit is helpful to give a fair complexion and prevent wrinkles, pimples, acne, blemishes, and black spots due to the presence of numerous phytonutrients and antioxidants. These compounds counteract the damage caused by free radicals directly related to premature ageing. Method: The paste of apple and honey is applied on the face and left for 10-20 minutes, then washed with fresh water. When used, the paste of apple and milk is also beneficial to glow your face.
How do you select apples?
The selection of apples is an important aspect. Before purchasing, one should ensure the apple is hard and solid. It should be free from any cutting or any other black spot marks. The soft and pliable apples should be avoided as these may infect with worms or germs. The fruit, supple in nature, could be better in taste. Eating the hard one is crunchy and simultaneously enjoyable.
How to store apples?
After bringing the apple home, they dipped it into the water for 2 to 3 hours. Washing apples with fresh is essential so that their germs, dirt and pesticides can be removed. After washing, it can be kept in an excellent place to maintain its freshness and tastiness. Refrigerator apples can be used or consumed for a more extended period. However, it is better to eat a fresh one.