Why one should start eating dates everyday?
Dates are packed with nutrients and known for many important health benefits and medicinal uses. One should include dates in one’s diet regime because it is an energy-boosting food, full of fiber, packed with iron, and rich in antioxidants and other nutrients. Besides, it is also known for its anti-inflammatory and anti-tumor properties. Dates are the fruit, which is grown in the tropical region of the world. The wrinkled skin color dates are dried whereas the smooth skin one is fresh. There are many varieties of dates, out of which Medjool is the best one and generally used all over the world.
9 amazing health benefits of eating dates
- Hair loss prevention: Dates are rich in iron, which helps to facilitate blood circulation in the scalp region thus good for the health of hair. It also helps with proper oxygenation thereby smoothing distribution of nutrients in the hair follicles, thus good prevention of hair loss, hair greying, and growth of new hairs.
- Skin glowing: The nutritious fruit contains vitamin C & D that is good for the elasticity of the skin. Dates prevent the accumulation of melanin hormone thus protect the skin from dull color. The date palm kernel is associated with phytohormones, which combat anti-aging and wrinkles too.
- Weight Loss: The eating of dates helps to satiate your desire for overeating. The eating of 3-5 dates at a time also discourages more eating and gives you the feeling of a full stomach.
- Full of antioxidants: The fruits are packed with antioxidants that act upon free radicals and good to reduce the risk of various diseases. It contains some important antioxidants such as flavonoids, carotenoids, and phenolic acid and accordingly reduces the risk of diabetes, macular degeneration, and heart diseases.
- Hemorrhoids prevention: Dates are loaded with fiber. The eating of dates helps to prevent hemorrhoids problems, especially during pregnancy.
- Fights inflammation: Inflammation is caused due to weak immune system. Magnesium plays a good role in strengthening the immunity of the body. Dates contain a good amount of fiber if taken on a regular basis, ensure to boost immunity thus prevent you from many diseases and disorders.
- Healthy pregnancy: Pregnant women require more calorie intake. The eating of dates can fulfill this. Besides calorie, dates are also loaded with other important nutrients and if taken at the advanced stage of pregnancy, ensure healthy delivery and a healthy baby. The fruit is also good to strengthen the muscles, thus good for pregnancy.
- Healthy brain: Dates have the ability to fight against inflammation and oxidative stress. In a recent study, it has been confirmed that eating dates reduces the chances of neurodegenerative disorders and good for the development of the brain. The presence of magnesium also ensures to fight inflammation. The eating of dates also slows down the chances of Alzheimer’s disease.
- Bones health: Dates are rich in magnesium, copper, selenium, and manganese. All these micro-nutrients are good for healthy bones and protect you from bone-related disorders such as osteoporosis, arthritis, etc.
5 Evidence based benefits of dates
- Packed with fiber: If you are taking dates, it means you are having more fiber as desired. Much research has been conducted wherein it has been found that eating dates contribute to health in many ways. It helps to prevent constipation and promotes bowel movement. Fiber slows down digestion and regulates blood sugar. The Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry suggested that dates have an adequate amount of fiber and insoluble fiber, which are helpful for healthy digestion and ease constipation.
- Lowers cholesterol: Eating dates are of no risk as virtually, it is free from cholesterol and fat. This good for cardiac health and also assist in weight loss.
- Good source of energy: It is an excellent source of energy. In Islam, people like to eat dates when they break their fast as it gives energy also discourages overeating during the month of Ramadan. A study published in the International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition where it has been shown that it helps to gain energy immediately as it contains glucose, fructose, and sucrose.
- Intestinal disorders: It has a good amount of fiber and amino acid, which are helpful to aid in digestion. A study published in the Journal of Nutrition Reviews shows that it helps to overcome gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Prevents heart disease: A study published in the Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry showed that dates are helpful in reducing triglyceride and intensity of oxidative stress, both are not good for cardiac health.
What are the different types of dates fruit?
- Medjool: It’s the native of Morocco and has a coffee flavor. It is one of the most delicious dates and commonly used across the world.
- Barhi: It originates in Iraq, yellow and thicker.
- Dayri: Slim and black
- Halawy: Small and sweet
- Deglet Noor: Native of Tunisia and Algeria, used in cooking as they are not sweet.
- Hayani: found in Egypt, its color varies from red to black
- Migraf: found in Yemen and comparatively bigger in size
- Iteema: Native to Algeria and sweetest in nature.
Nutritional facts of dates fruit?
Dates have a wonderful nutrition value. Being dried, its calorie content increased considerably. It is also loaded with fiber, vitamins, minerals, carbs, protein, etc. 100 gram of the fruit contains Calories (277), Carbs (75gm), Fiber (7gm), Protein (2gm), Potassium (20% of the RDI), Magnesium (14% of the RDI), Copper (18% of the RDI), Manganese (15% of the RDI), Iron (5 % of the RDI) and Vitamin B6 (12% of the RDI). Besides this, it is also rich in antioxidants.