Pawanmuktasana is an excellent yoga pose for the health of the abdominal region by easing stomach heaviness, increasing blood circulation, nerve stimulation, and by removing trapped abdominal gases as well as harmful toxins. It is an important yogasana for the smooth functioning of the digestive system. Pawan means air or gas, Mukta means release and asana indicates yoga pose. Basically, it’s the yoga pose that helps in releasing excessive gas. It has many benefits like releasing toxins from the body, weight loss, relieves constipation, spinal flexibility, etc. It is also good for sterility and impotence. Pawanmuktasana shouldn’t be performed by those who have neck strain and abdominal surgery. It is pronounced as puh–vuhn-mukt-aahs-uh-nuh. It is known by different names like wind relieving pose, wind liberating pose, wind removing pose.
How to do pawanmuktasana
The simple steps of doing pawanmuktasana are being given below.
- Lie down in a straight position on your back or in a supine position.
- Inhale and raise your legs at 90 degree
- Exhale, bend your legs, and try to bring your knees towards your chest.
- Clasp your knees by interlocking your fingers.
- Raise your head and made touch your forehead with your knees.
- Do normal breathing while maintaining the pose.
- First, bring your head down and followed by your legs.
- This is the one round.
- Do 2 to 3 rounds.
Benefits of pawanmuktasana
- Massage internal organs: Abdominal muscles are compressed and nerves are stimulated, which increases blood circulation thereby helpful in increasing the efficiency of abdominal muscles. In fact, this is an excellent yoga pose to give massage to the abdomen.
- Remove harmful gases: The basic motto of the asana is to release harmful gases, toxins and trapped gases from the body thus enhance the effectiveness of different organs.
- Constipation: It makes digestion smooth and good to overcome constipation.
- Fat burning: Regular practice of this asana is helpful in burning abdominal fat.
- Weight Loss: The regular practice and maintaining it for a certain period of time helps to ensure in reducing belly fat, arms, thighs, buttocks, thus good for weight loss.
- Sterility and impotence: The regular practice of the pose is good to treat sterility and impotence as it exerts adequate pressure on the reproductive organs.
- Lungs & heart: It is good for the lungs and heart.
- Spine flexibility: Its practice helps to make the spine supple and increases its flexibility, especially the lower back.
- Menstrual disorders: It gives suitable massage to the pelvic region and reproductive organs and good for menstrual problems.
- Blood circulation: This asana ensures effective blood circulation to the entire region.
Precautions and contraindications of pawanmuktasana
The following are the contra-indications of gas release yoga pose.
- Abdominal surgery: Skip the asana in case of abdominal surgery.
- Neck strain: One shouldn’t practice having neck pain.
- Pregnancy: Don’t practice in case of pregnancy.
- Hernia: Avoid while having hernia.
- Piles: Those who are suffering from piles shouldn’t perform it.
- Menstruation: The asana should be avoided during menstruation.
- High Blood Pressure
- Heart Problems
- Slipped Disc
- Testicular Disorders
- Weight loss
- Release stomach heaviness
- Back pain
- Supt Pawanmuktasana
- Sulabh pawanmuktasana
Follow up pose
Important points about Pawanmuktasana
- While performing through one leg (Supt Pawanmuktasana), first performed through right leg first followed by the left one.
- Level: Basic
- Style: Vinyasa
- Duration: 10 seconds to 3 minutes
- Stretches: Abdomen, Lower back, Arms, thighs, buttocks
- Strength: Back, digestive system, reproductive system
- Anatomical focus: Abdomen, thighs, hips, buttocks