What is constipation?
Constipation is a condition wherein difficulty is experienced in release of fecal matter due to faulty lifestyle, stress, wrong dietary pattern along with other important factors. The person feels uncomfortable until and unless the bowl gets empty. There are so many reasons of it. One of the most important factors is the excessive water absorption by the colon. If not treated in time, it can lead to hemorrhoids, anal fissure, abdominal pain, etc. Modern medicine is not the solution to treat the condition. However, it can be also managed through Yoga. I got positive result after practicing yoga in constipation. There are the yoga poses, which are helpful in easing constipation.
Causes of constipation
- Less fiber in foods
- Insufficient intake of water
- Least physical activity
- Excessive use of laxatives
- Overdose of medicines
- More absorption of water in colon
- Constipation is also observed in pregnancy and aging
Symptoms of constipation
- Stomach pain
- Abdominal cramps
- Loss of appetite
- Less fiber in food
- Hard passing of stool
- Rectal bleeding
- Excessive gas release
Natural tips to treat constipation
There are the simple and easy home remedies to treat constipation.
- Take adequate amount of fiber and roughage.
- Frequent use of water, especially lukewarm one
- Green and leafy vegetables
- Regular yoga and physical exercise
- Lesser intake of caffeine and beverage
- Do meditation
10 best yoga poses to cure constipation
There are many diseases and disorders, which are associated with constipation. Having constipation for a longer period of time leads to chronic condition, which further deteriorates overall health. The regular practice of yoga can play a pivotal role in relieving constipation.
- Pavan Muktasana (Gas release pose) : This yoga pose is also known as gas releasing pose. It is one of the best yoga asanas to treat constipation. One should keep in mind that the yoga pose should start practicing from left leg followed by right one. Besides this, it is also beneficial for flatulence and burning belly fat.
- Hastottansana (Up-stretched arms): The practicing of this yoga pose is beneficial in constipation. It helps to ease out the fecal matter from the digestive system.
- Vajrasana (Thunderbolt posture): It is said that just after finishing foods, one should sit in vajrasana. The yoga pose ensures to improve the efficiency of the digestive system, thus good in to beat constipation.
- Bhujanghasana (Cobra pose): This yoga pose has its own relevance in yoga asanas. The practice of this posture ensures releasing of gastric juices, which acts upon foods thus facilitates digestion. Besides this, it is the single yoga pose, which should be practiced by all women on regular basis as it prevents many gynecological disorders.
- Trikonasana (Triangle pose): Trikonasana provides adequate massage to the organs associated with digestion. The regular practice of helps to overcome constipation and ensures easy pass of stool.
- Halasana (Plough pose): Plough pose helps to activate the digestive glands and organs. Accordingly, it helps to produce gastric juices, which act upon the food stuff. Besides this, the yoga pose is also beneficial to make the spine supple, keeps the thyroids and parathyroid glands healthy and also prevents diabetes mellitus.
- Ardha Matsyendrasana (Half Lord of Fishes pose): This yoga pose treats constipation scientifically. If this yoga pose performs first from right twist, the faecal matter travels up the ascending colon along the transverse colon, and then downwards in the descending colon before being expelled from the body. Therefore an initial twist to the right followed by a left hand twist compresses the colon and activates the nerves associated with intestinal peristalsis in the same order as the progressive movement of fecal matter. improves digestion and aid in constipation relief.
- Paschimottanasana (Seated Forward Bend yoga): This yoga massages the abdominal organs. The regular practice of it along with proper steps ensures even to remove severe constipation.
- Kapalbhati (Frontal brain cleansing yoga): It stimulates nerves in the abdominal region; massages the abdominal organs and thus improves digestion. It is said, this breathing exercise has the ability to treat even chronic constipation.
- Pranayama (Breathing exercise): Pranayama includes so many yogic breathings. All the pranayamas are helpful in treating of constipation. If it is performed after learning the process or under the supervision of a yoga therapist, the breathing technique is alone enough to eradicate the problems of constipation.