What is constipation?
Constipation is a condition wherein difficulty is experienced in the release of faecal matter due to faulty lifestyle, stress, wrong dietary patterns, along with other important factors. The person feels uncomfortable until and unless the bowl gets empty. There are so many reasons for it. One of the most important factors is excessive water absorption by the colon. If not treated in time, it can lead to hemorrhoids, anal fissures, abdominal pain, etc. Modern medicine is not the solution to treat the condition. However, it can also be managed through Yoga. I got positive results after practising yoga in constipation. There are yoga poses which help ease constipation.
Causes of constipation
- Less fibre in foods
- Insufficient intake of water
- Least physical activity
- Excessive use of laxatives
- Overdose of medicines
- More absorption of water in the colon
- Constipation is also observed in pregnancy and ageing
Symptoms of constipation
- Stomach pain
- Abdominal cramps
- Loss of appetite
- Less fibre in food
- Hard passing of stool
- Rectal bleeding
- Excessive gas release
Natural tips to treat constipation
There are simple and easy home remedies to treat constipation.
- Take an adequate amount of fibre and roughage.
- Frequent use of water, especially lukewarm one
- Green and leafy vegetables
- Regular yoga and physical exercise
- Lesser intake of caffeine and beverage
- Do meditation
10 best yoga poses to cure constipation
There are many diseases and disorders which are associated with constipation. Having constipation for a more extended period leads to a chronic condition, which further deteriorates overall health. The regular practice of yoga can play a pivotal role in relieving constipation.
- Pavan Muktasana (Gas release pose): This yoga pose is also known as the gas-releasing pose. It is one of the best yoga asanas to treat constipation. One should keep in mind that the yoga pose should start practising from the left leg followed by the right one. Besides this, it is also beneficial for flatulence and burning belly fat.
- Hastottansana (Up-stretched arms): Practicing this yoga pose is beneficial in constipation. It helps to ease out the faecal matter from the digestive system.
- Vajrasana (Thunderbolt posture): It is said that just after finishing food, one should sit in vajrasana. The yoga pose improves the digestive system’s efficiency, thus beating constipation.
- Bhujanghasana (Cobra pose): This pose has relevance in yoga asanas. The practice of this posture ensures the release of gastric juices, which act upon foods and thus facilitate digestion. Besides this, it is the single yoga pose, which all women should practice regularly as it prevents many gynaecological disorders.
- Trikonasana (Triangle pose): Trikonasana provides adequate massage to the digestive organs. Regular practice helps to overcome constipation and ensures an easy pass of stool.
- Halasana (Plough pose): The plough pose helps to activate the digestive glands and organs. Accordingly, it helps to produce gastric juices, which act upon the foodstuff. Besides this, the yoga pose is also beneficial for making the spine supple, keeping the thyroids and parathyroid glands healthy, and preventing diabetes mellitus.
- Ardha Matsyendrasana (Half Lord of Fishes Pose): This yoga pose treats constipation scientifically. If this yoga pose is performed first from the right twist, the faecal matter travels up the ascending colon along the transverse colon and downwards in the descending colon before being expelled from the body. Therefore, an initial twist to the right followed by a left-hand twist compresses the colon and activates the nerves associated with intestinal peristalsis in the same order as the progressive movement of faecal matter. Improves digestion and aids in constipation relief.
- Paschimottanasana (Seated Forward Bend yoga): This yoga massages the abdominal organs. The regular practice of it, along with proper steps, ensures even to remove severe constipation.
- Kapalbhati (Frontal brain cleansing yoga): It stimulates nerves in the abdominal region and massages the abdominal organs, thus improving digestion. It is said that this breathing exercise can treat even chronic constipation.
- Pranayama (Breathing exercise): Pranayama includes much yogic breathing. All the pranayamas help treat constipation. If it is performed after learning the processor under the supervision of a yoga therapist, the breathing technique is alone enough to eradicate the problems of constipation.