What is cervical spondylosis?
Today’s office work culture of excessive sitting hours in a particular posture is taking a toll on our health paradigms –mental, physical, emotional, and social. These long hours and overtired work lead to developing neck, shoulder, and cervical problems. Cervical spondylosis is caused due to abrasion and attrition of the spine desk. It is more common with aged people, but in the modern lifestyle, neck pain, shoulder pain, and cervical problems are also rampant with adults due to their hectic schedules. The most important characteristic feature of cervical spondylosis is chronic pain.
Yoga for cervical spondylosis treatment
There is no such effective allopathic medicines are available to cure cervical spondylosis and neck pain but some easy yoga asanas and simple exercises can play a vital role in managing and treating cervical spondylosis and neck pain.
- Surya Namaskar (Sun Salutation): The person who has had the problems of neck pain, shoulder pain, and cervical, should do Sun Salutation very carefully. If they perform it systematically, gains a strong and flexible spine and makes the sufferer free from neck pain, shoulder pain, and cervical spondylosis.
- Matsyasana (Fish Pose): Matsyasana provides strength and flexibility to the entire vertebral column. It is extremely beneficial for the cervical region and helps in overcoming stress and strain caused due to prolong sitting before the computer.
- Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose): Various ailments and general unhealthiness of the body occur through stiffness of the spine. The spine is the major channel, which carries all nerve impulses from the brain to the body. Bhujangasana removes the stiffness of the neck and shoulder and acts as a good remedy for cervical problems too.
- Makarasana (Crocodile Pose): Makarasana is good for the spine to resume its normal shape and releases compression of the spinal nerves. It is effective in treating cervical spondylosis, and pain in the neck and shoulders.
- Bal-Shayanasana (Infant’s Pose): Balshayan asana is extremely beneficial for those patients also who suffer from lower back pain or cervical spondylitis because of stress, tension, and excessive workload.
- Ardha Naukasana (Half Boat Pose): Ardha naukasana is effective for patients with cervical & back problems. Besides, it can help one in managing one’s chronic indigestion, constipation. Even patients of diabetes can find it quite beneficial
- Ardha Salbhaasana: (Half Locust Pose): The gentle back extension is highly beneficial in cervical pain, lumbargo and sciatica. Performing regularly can give you great relief from cervical spondylosis and neck pain. Therapeutically, it has been found useful for alleviating cervical spondylitis, backache and sciatica.
- Shanshank-Bhujangasana (Striking Cobra Pose): Shanshank-Bhujangasana improves flexibility and strength of the spine which can counter all the adverse effects of sedentary life. The combination of Shanshank-Bhujangasana is beneficial in treating backache and cervical pain.
- Kohni Chalana (Elbow Rotations): Kohni Chalana is very useful to improve the mobility and strength of the shoulders and the neck which may prevent cervical spondylitis, frozen shoulder, and bursitis.
- Marjariasana (Cat Pose): Marjariasana provides a gentle massage to your spine and helps to loosen up the vertebral column. It is extremely recommended to those people who have rigid spines and chronic neck pain. Marjariasana gently stretches and stimulates the spinal nerves.
10 Best exercises for cervical spondylosis
In the digital computer era where users are spending long hours sitting before their desktops, cervical spondylosis is a common disorder. Many exercises are beneficial in managing and curing cervical spondylosis. Here some of the important exercises are given, which are effective to solve the problems of neck pain, frozen shoulders, and cervical spondylosis.
- Sit in any comfortable position. Your back and neck should be straight. With inhaling slowly bring your head backward position and with exhaling make it in the straight position. Don’t push it in the forward position. Do it for 10 seconds. It is an effective neck exercise to cure cervical spondylosis.
- Try to push your head with your palm and resist the pressure with your static neck.
- Sit in a comfortable position. Make your back and neck straight. Now, turn your head toward the right side and see your shoulder. Come to the original position, and then turn to the left side. Do this neck exercise for 10 seconds. This exercise helps to relieve neck pain.
- Put both the palms below your chin where pressure will be applied by the chin on the palm, which will be balanced by the palm itself without showing any movement in the entire mechanism. Do it for 10 seconds. The exercise is good to get relief from neck pain.
- Stand erect. Raise your right hand with inhaling and feel the stretch from toes to finger. Bring it down while exhaling. The same thing is repeated with the left hand. It is a good exercise to remove the neck as well as shoulder pain.
- Stand straight. Place your interlock palms on your forehead and try to push the head in the backward direction. This force should be counterbalanced by the head itself in the forward direction so that the head remains in a static position.
- Sit in Padmasana. Interlock your fingers and place them behind your head. Exert a pressure from interlock palms on the head in the forward direction which will be balanced by the head with equal force in the backward direction so that the head remains in the static position. It is good for the neck as well as cervical spondylosis.
- Interlock your fingers and place them behind your head. Now, bring your elbows in front of your head. Does this exercise at least 10 rounds with normal breathing? This exercise is good to help in cervical spondylosis and pain related to the neck and shoulder. ‘
- Inhale and hold your breath. Now, rotate your hands 10 times in a clockwise direction. Exhale while completing the rounds. The same procedure will be continued while rotating your hands in an anti-clockwise direction. It is good to cure shoulder and neck pain.
- Using a cervical collar helps in this direction. The application of ice or heating pad to the neck helps to reduce the pain. Cold and hot therapy alternatively is also effective.
How to cure frozen shoulder?
- Your spine always should be straight either in a sitting or standing position.
- Do practice pranayama and meditation regularly for stress management.
- Eat fresh vegetables and seasonal fruits.
- Forward bending yoga and exercises should be discouraged.
- Avoid jerking and running.
- Don’t lift heavyweight.
- Suitable exercise is the solution instead of using painkillers.
- Do the above-mentioned exercises and Yoga?
Cervical spondylosis symptoms
The following signs of cervical spondylosis are:
- Stiff neck & neck pain
- Decreased neck pain
- Shoulder pain that extended to the chest
- Numbness in the hands and legs
- Coordination problems
- Reflexes difficulties
- The feeling of leg weakness
- Fever due to acute neck pain
Cervical spondylosis causes
- Improper posture and low inclination towards exercise
- Sleeping with more pillows below the head
- Working with the desktop for extended hours
- Sleeping in a particular position
- Highly comfortable modern chairs.
Cervical spondylosis prevention
- Running, jumping and high octane exercise should be avoided.
- A wooden chair should be preferred.
- Avoid sitting for long hours in a particular posture.
13 thoughts on “Top 10 Simple Yoga Poses for Cervical Spondylosis and Neck Pain Cure”
Information is highly beneficial
Highly implementable good info
Thanks A Lot
Really Most Helped Information
This article will help millions who are suffering from Cervical Spondylosis. If practiced in right earnest, the yoga poses helps a lot.
Good information and useful to so many sufferers of back pain, neck pain etc,
Thanks a lot.
it is very useful for who is suffering from Cervical spondylosis & do practice because “practice makes a man ferfect” so need to be practice until get the expected result.
VERY FRUITFUL INFO SINCE MYSELF IS ALSO SUFFERING FROM THE DISEASE .MUCH BENEFICIAL ARE THE YOGAS FOR PAIN RELIEF. THANKS FOR THE GOOD INFO,
very exiting to get cure , who suffers from cervical spondylosis
thanks lot for this healty tips advise
Is this problem genetic of it is caused by the lifestyle you live??
I am suffering for a long time. As me eager to know….Would pl. give me the advice to relief from cervical spondelysis along with vertigo?
nice write up!
My spine has become stiff due to rheumatoid arthritis and I am also a patient od diabetes. So please suggest me the asanas of Yoga which may be performed by me. I am now 58yrs, suggest me accordingly. Thanks & regards
You need Yoga therapy instead of yoga. Kindly consult a good yoga therapist to know the finer technique for better result. The mentioned yoga poses can also be tried but in presence of yoga expert.