Hernia is a condition, when an organ of the body comes out through an opening of the outer muscles of the body. It is happened because of weaker or feeble muscles of the body. The condition of hernia is generally seen with abdomen. However, it may be observed in the belly button area, thighs, upper parts of the body and groin. The bulge or lump part may contain a piece of intestine or fatty layer. Hernia may be seen with birth or can be developed after birth. There are so many treatments methods are available. But it can be also cured through yoga and yoga therapy.
Some common types of hernia are given below:
Inguinal hernia: It is the most common type of hernia where the intestine generally pushes out through a weak spot of the muscles, especially the inguinal region. It is most common among men than women.
Hiatal hernia: Such type of hernia is generally seen in the stomach region, when the stomach protrudes through the diaphragm area. It is a common hernia among the patients who is more than 50 years. The hernia leads to acid reflux.
Umbilical hernia: It is generally seen with children of 1 year in the region of belly button area. But it may also be seen with the adult.
Incisional hernia: It may happen after abdominal surgery when the intestines protrude out through the incision area.
There are so many factors responsible for hernia. Some of the important reasons are given below:
- Muscles weakness
- Straining of muscles
- Chronic coughing
- Surgery or injury
- Pregnant mother who puts excessive pressure on the abdomen
- Chronic constipation
- Rapid weight gain
- Lifting of heavy weight
- Abdominal fluid
- Stress and anxiety
Some of the important symptoms are given below:
- Bulge or lump in the affected region
- Pain the bulging area
- Heaviness in the abdominal region
- Aching in the bulging region
- Acid reflux
10 Yoga for umbilical hernia
Yoga is helpful in the management and treatment of hernia including umbilical one. The following yoga poses listed below is helpful in prevention of umbilical hernia.
- Boat pose (Naukasana)
- Raised leg pose (Uttanpadasana)
- Monkey yoga pose (Markatasana)
- Gas releasing pose (Pawan Muktasana)
- Plow pose (Halasana)
- Legs up the wall pose (Vipritkarni mudra)
- The Abdominal Lock (Uddiyana Bandh)
- Hand under foot pose (Padhastasana)
- Triangle pose (Parivrit Trikonasana)
- Agnisar cleansing yoga
How yoga works for hernia?
Yoga basically is a stretching and straining exercise. Practicing the above mentioned yoga postures help to put suitable pressure on the navel region or the belly button area. Regular practice of yoga ensures in minimizing the size of protruded intestinal or abdominal region part. After certain period of time, it not only cures umbilical hernia, in fact all types of hernia may be successfully managed by it.
- Avoid heavy meals
- Spicy, oily and fried foods should be avoided.
- Healthy body weight should be maintained.
- Avoid lifting weight, which are too heavy.
- Your food habits should be natural and often to vegetarian.