What is Uttana Mandukasana?
Uttana means upright or stretched up and ‘Manḍuka’ means frog. The final position of Uttana Mandukasana resembles an upright frog, hence the name. In Manḍukasana, the head is held by the elbows. This is one of the important yoga pose of the International Day of Yoga common yoga protocol. Uttana Mandukasana comes under Cultural or corrective asana, brings stability and a sense of well-being. This yoga pose helps to correct postural defects, disturbed function of various systems, and improper muscle tone. The stretched up frog yoga pose has been mentioned in so many yogic ancient texts including Gheraṇḍasaṁhita.
How to Uttana Mandukasana step by step?
The simple technique of doing upright frog pose is given below.
- Sit in Vajrasana.
- Spread both the knees wide apart while toes remaining together.
- Raise your right arm, fold it and take it backward from above the right shoulder and place the palm below the left shoulder.
- Now fold the left arm similarly and place the palm from above below the right shoulder.
- Maintain the position. While coming back, slowly remove the left arm and then right arm; bring the knees together as in the initial position.
10 benefits of Uttana Mandukasana
- Throat pain: The practice of the yoga pose gives adequate stretch to the muscles and nerves of the throat region thus good to give relief from throat pain.
- Back pain: Practicing the yoga pose with the technique mentioned above, provide suitable stretching to the entire back muscles including the lower back. Therefore, practicing it on regular basis helps to make the back muscles flexible and supple thereby relieving back-related straining and pain.
- Diaphragm movements: It gives adequate stretching to the diaphragm and lungs regions thus facilitate breathing. Thus practicing the yoga pose is effective in overcoming respiratory congestions.
- Cervical spondylitis: A large number of people are suffering from cervical spondylitis, especially who is working with computer and laptop. The practice of the pose is useful to get relief from shoulder pain and cervical problems.
- Knee strengthening: While practicing the yoga pose, provide suitable stretch and pressure on the knees. Regular practice helps to strengthen the knees and its adjoining muscles.
- Elbow health: It is beneficial for the health of elbows because of adequate stretching in the elbow regions.
- Shoulder pain: If you are facing shoulder pain or discomfort, the practicing o uttana mandukasana will help you to get relief from this problem.
- Side abdominal fat: It gives adequate stretching to the abdominal sides. Regular practice and maintaining it for a certain period of time helps to shed the extra fats from the sides of the abdominal region. This helps to make you slim, especially from the tummy area.
- Reproductive organs: It has been seen that the practice of the yoga pose is helpful for the health of ovaries and testis, and also help to resolve menstrual problems.
- Spinal health: It helps to strengthen the entire spine. It is effective in the case of lumbar thoracic and cervical regions.
Precautions of Uttana Mandukasana
The following contradictions and cautions should be taken while performing this yoga pose
- Those who are having arthritis, hernia, and back problems shouldn’t practice this yoga pose.
- If there are problems in the knee or its adjoining area, skip to practice it.
- It shouldn’t be practice in case of pregnancy and menstruation.
- This asana should not be practiced even if there is pain in the elbow.
- This posture should not be done if somebody is having severe pain in the shoulders.