Knee pain is a very acute and common problem in the modern lifestyle. It is seen in the case of aged adults and teenagers. Knee bursitis, ruptured ligament, torn cartilage, bone degeneration, and drugs like steroids and diuretics are some critical factors leading to knee pain. Stiffness and swelling are joint with knee problem patients.
Knee pain causes
- Knee bursitis
- Rupture ligament
- Torn cartilage
- Torn meniscus
- Anterior cruciate ligament
- Patellar tendonitis
- Iliotibial band syndrome
- Dislocated kneecap
- Knee cartilage
- Bone degeneration
- Septic arthritis
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Highly active individuals, such as soccer athletes
- Use of drugs like steroids, diuretics
Knee pain signs and symptoms
- Unable to straighten the knee
- Odd noises
- Facing problems in bearing weight on the knee
- Problems in flexing and extending the knee
Best Yoga for knee joint pain
For the patient with knee pain, slow and controlled movement is required. If there is no or less movement, the condition may worsen. With the help of Yoga, one can do the possible stretching movements. Yoga is good for avoiding knee injuries by keeping the knees healthy and flexible. In fact, knee pain management through Yoga is possible by stretching and strengthening the surrounding knee muscles. Yoga poses enhance the flexibility of joints, thus helpful in knee injury and lengthening nearby joint muscles. Here is the list of best Yoga poses for relieving knee pain, arthritis, and knee injury.
Yoga stretching exercises for knee pain
There are many Yoga exercises which help control knee pain. Knee pain control through Yoga under the supervision of Yoga experts shows positive results. Baba Ramdev’s Knee pain yoga module is also practical. One can see his module on YouTube. BKS Iyengar yoga therapy for knee pain and arthritis is always beneficial. Here is the list of Yoga poses to prevent knee pain and injuries.
- Pavanmuktasana (with one leg)
- Reclining knee bent twist
Massage therapy for knee pain
Massage therapy and heat treatment are suitable for overcoming knee injuries and making your knee strong and flexible. Massage with ayurvedic herbal oil followed by application of moderate heat with a heat bag; make the movement of joints easier and simpler. Yoga asana’s significance increases when practised after the heat and massage treatment. Steam baths and sunbaths are also effective in strengthening your knees and joints.
Knee pain home remedy
- Drinking a mix of ginger and warm water is good to ease knee pain.
- Castor oil massage on the part, followed by a bath with a little warm water.
- The mix of water (1/2 cup), castor oil (2 tsp), and honey (1 tsp), when taken before going to bed, is good in minimising the impact of knee pain.
Knee pain Diet
- One should take fresh and warm cooked foods.
- Take a light diet.
- Avoid refrigerated and stale foods.
- Wheat or brown bread is good.
- Give weightage to green and boiled vegetables.
- Fasting is practised once a week.
- Lunch and dinner should be taken early.
- Avoid eating Chiku, bananas, mangoes, and grapes.
- One should take fenugreek, garlic, spinach, and dates.
- Avoid fast and junk foods
- One shouldn’t take a hot, spicy, deep-fried, and high-protein diet.
- Avoid cold drinks, soft drinks, and aerated ones.
- Overeating should be avoided.
Best knee exercises
- Moving toes inward and outward while lying on the back
- Rotate your toes clockwise and anti-clockwise
- Bend your knees and drag your heels to and fro
- Bend one of your knees and drag the other leg parallel to the surface
- March passed just like army men.
- Quadricep drill exercise
- Static quadriceps drill exercise
- Lifting of the knee by keeping the pillow just below it
- Dangling exercise
- Static dangling exercise