The juicy and wholesome fruit-Plums are low in calories, low in fat, low in carbohydrate, low in glycemic rating, rich in vitamin C and A, high in minerals thus effective for many diseases. Plums helps to prevent many diseases due to pack of antioxidants and phytonutrients than blueberries. Plums are also used as variety of recipes such as plum wine, plum jam, plum pickles, etc.Image courtesy of -Marcus- at FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Plums Health and Nutrition Benefits
- Plum is a delicious and juicy fruit, low in calories containing no fats but abundant in vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals.
- Plums are called super-food by scientists and known for cancer prevention, digestive health, brain health, blood sugar, macular prevention and weight loss.
- Plum contains dietary fibre, sorbitol and isatin is good for smooth functioning of digestive system and cure constipation because being an effective natural laxative.
- The presence of niacin, vitamin B-6, and patothenic acid is good in the metabolism of carbohydrate, protein and fat.
- Plum has adequate amount of Iron, Potassium and fluoride. Iron is good in the formation of RBC; Potassium helps to regulate heart beat and blood pressure while Fluoride is beneficial for strengthening of teeth.
- Antioxidants like vitamin C, Zea-xanthin, lutein, cryptoxanthin, are health promoting compounds and as scavenger against free radicals which are responsible for many diseases. The ample amount of vitamin C helps to fight infections and increases the resistance power of the body.
- Fresh yellow plum contains vitamin A and beta carotene good for eyesight and skin.
- In a recent study, it has been shown that that dried plums helps to restore bone mass thereby prevent osteoporosis.
- The nutritional facts of plum in 66 grams of the fruit are as follow: protein (0.52g), carbohydrate (56.23g), fat (0.69g), calories (40 cal), fiber (1.98g), sugar (12.55g), vitamin A (213.18 IU), Thiamin (0.03 mg), riboflavin (0.06mg), niacin (0.33mg), vitamin C (6.27 mg), vitamin E (057 mg), pantothenic acid (0.12mg), calcium (2.64mg), Iron (4.62 mg), phosphorous (6.60 mg), potassium (113.52 mg) and including copper, magnesium, selenium and zinc.
- Eating plums helps in the production and absorption of iron thus good for blood circulation and overall health of the body.
- Regular eating of plums is good for vision and macular degeneration.
- In new research, it has been observed that consumption of plums have anti-cancerous effects and prevents the growth of carcinogenic cells. The dietary fiber of plums is beneficial in protection against gastro and respiratory cancers.
- A study conducted at University of Florida and Oklahoma had shown that dried plums are good for bone health, increase bone density thus effective in case of osteoporosis and fractures. It is especially effective with menopausal women.
- Plums help to reduced cholesterol by inhibiting LDL oxidation in human and beneficial for heart diseases. It is also effective to cardiovascular problems due to presence of potassium that helps to maintain body fluid levels.
- Black plums have many medicinal values like the bark, seeds and leaves are used in treatment of diabetes; leaves are used for strengthening of teeth because of antibacterial properties, barks are also good for throat problems.