Meaning of hair loss
Hair loss is a common problem with both men and women. Some experience less hair falls while it is acute with others. Normal hair breaks up is about 50-100 strands per day. Though it is replaced by new ones, however, aging, hereditary and hormonal change contributes to permanent loss of hair.
The problem can be solved through alternative medicine. Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) like yoga, Ayurveda, naturopathy, homeopathy, Unani, Siddha, acupuncture, acupressure, diet, etc. has enough potential and remedial measures in curing it. Home remedies, prevention, and precautions are also important aspects of minimizing it.
Hair Loss Signs & Symptoms
The signs in men, women, children, or adults comprise the following aspects.
- In the case of men: Scalp hair getting thin or complete loss. Horseshoe-shaped is also one of the prominent features.
- In the case of women: Thinning or diffused hair at the crown. Stress plays a greater role.
- In the case of children: Abrupt loss from certain parts of the scalp.
- Loss of hair in patches or Alopecia Areata which is reversible.
- Steady thinning on the top or called Male Pattern Baldness.
- Telogen effluvium: happened after great illness or stress.
- Male baldness (androgenetic alopecia) starts from the hairline.
Hair loss causes
- Lice problem or Pediculosis
- Frequent combing
- Blow dryers
- Hereditary factor i.e. father or grandfather has the tendency of losing hair and leads to male pattern baldness.
- Pregnancy due to hormonal changes
- Childbirth and birth control pill
- Major surgery
- Polycystic ovaries
- Skin diseases like ringworm and psoriasis.
- Thyroid disease –hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism
- Drugs for chemotherapy, depression, bipolar disorder, acne are important causes of it.
- Disease like Addison disease, scarring, seborrheic dermatitis, syphilis, vitiligo too causes hair thinning
- Iron deficiency anemia
- Hypervitaminosis A
- Anticoagulants like warfarin and heparin
- Seizure medication
- Fungal infection
- Nervous habit
- Blood pressure medication
- Drugs like anti-inflammatory one
- Drugs to low cholesterol
- Oral contraceptive and diet pills
- Sickness and infectious diseases
- Toxic chemicals
- Harmful radiation
- Medication for Parkinson’s disease
- Ulcer drugs
- The lower level of estrogen and a higher level of androgen hormone
Hair loss in a woman
Thinning of hair is common among women. About 20%- 50% of women faced it at some stages of her life. In women, the condition is heartbreaking, may affect marital life, career, job opportunities, social networking, etc. Depression, stress, anxiety are also the factor of it. However, baldness among women is rare. Though, the causes of it in women are the same as that of the general causes as mentioned above. Some of the important factors and related aspects are:
- Control of birth pill
- Rapid weight loss
- Prescribed medications
- Lack of proper vitamins and nutrients in the diet
- Hairstyling treatment
- Immune diseases and disorders
- Chemo and radiation therapy
- Hormonal changes
- Not consuming enough protein
- Trichotillomania- thinning is patchy
- Alopecia areata-diffuse hair fall
- Triangular alopecia
- Scarring alopecia-dominant in case of women
- Telogen effluvium-shedding of hair is more common
- Scalp infection
- Low level of estrogen
Pregnancy hair loss
All the ladies face it after pregnancy but the quantum of hair fall is more with some moms. It is happened due to hormonal changes in the body. Falling of hair starts 12 weeks of delivery. Though normal hair fall is 75-100 hairs/ day but after delivery, moms generally lose about 500 hair/day. However, within six months, it is back like pre-pregnancy.
Hair loss diagnosis
The following tests may be done for women:
- Hormone levels-Testosterone, Prolactin, Follicular Stimulating Hormone (FSH), and Luteinizing Hormone(LH)
- Scalp biopsy
- Hair pull test
- Hair pluck test
- Serum iron
- Serum ferritin
- TIBC-Total Iron Binding Capacity
- Complete Blood Count(CBC)
- Thyroid Stimulating Hormone ( T3, T4)
- Screening test for syphilis-VDRL
Questions for your doctor
- What are the symptoms?
- What are the factors and causes?
- Whether the diet is related to it?
- Whether a medication is helpful to prevent it?
- How it can be corrected?
- How damaged hair can re-grow?
- Is this a hereditary factor?
Yoga for hair loss control
The practice of Yoga not only makes you fit and fine, but it also gives your body a beautiful look by protecting your hair and making it internally stronger. Yoga is beneficial for hair growth as it increases blood circulation to the head and scalp region.
- Vajrasana( Thunderbolt Pose) is useful for the treatment of it.
- Stress, tension, and anxiety are common causes of reducing hair. Relaxation techniques and meditation are quite effective to reduce stress.
- Shirsasana( Headstand pose) enhances blood circulation to the scalp and promote hair growth
- Sarvangasana (Shoulder stand pose) is quite effective in increasing blood supply to the scalp region and prevent hair thinning.
- Bhujangasana (Cobra pose) improves blood circulation in the vertebral column thereby facilitates better communication between the brain and body.
- Kapalabhati( Frontal lobe cleansing technique) energizes the mind and clear the frontal lobe of the brain by speeding up the blood flow.
- Anuloma Viloma (Alternative breathing) refreshes your entire body organ, especially the brain part, and helps in the strengthening of hair and hair follicles.
- Pranayama acts like a panacea and quite beneficial for hair care and in curing baldness. It also helps in promoting hair gain.
- The other asanas that are too useful in reducing the gravity are Shashank asana ( Moon pose ), Ushtrasana ( Camel Pose), Pawanmuktasana (Knee to chest pose), and Uttanasana (Bending straight forward pose).
Ayurvedic treatment for hair loss
Due to the effectiveness of Ayurveda, the modern doctor is prescribing alternative medicine too for baldness. Ayurveda can play a greater role in hair fall treatment. Here, some important ayurvedic hair solution, control tips, and treatments are:
- Massage with ayurvedic oil: Massage with coconut oil/ brahmin/ bhringaraj oil on the scalp is preventive measures. It is an effective ayurvedic remedy for hair.
- Natural remedy as Vitamin E oil massage is good in controlling it.
- Ayurvedic diet: Eating white sesame seeds is beneficial.
- Taking of Yogurt to strengthen hair and control the condition.
- Ayurvedic herbs like Dashamoola, Bhringara, and Jatamamsi are used to make hair strong.
- Diet rich in vitamin B and C is good for hair growth.
- Fruits, leafy vegetables, and milk make hair shining and stronger
- Mashed and mixed components of beans +fenugreek are beneficial.
- Sesame seeds and sesame seed oil is used in the treatment of hair remedy.
- Reduced junk food and extra calories make you healthy.
- Massage of camphor + coconut oil makes your scalp healthy and strengthens the follicles.
- Rub the mix of castor oil + mustard oil + coconut oil to make your hair stronger.
- The water of boil neem leaves is useful for hair.
- Eat the mix of ginger + honey.
- Rub the head after washing hair as it stimulates the sebaceous gland thereby improves blood circulation
- Massage of honey + egg yolk on your scalp is an effective ayurvedic remedy.
- Take a mix of lettuce and spinach juice is helpful in prevention.
- The application of coconut + lime juice is good.
- A combination of alfalfa juice + carrot juice + lettuce juice helps to grow hair well.
- Take more and more quantity of water as it flushes out toxins from the body.
- Use mustard oil regularly as it is helpful in curing baldness.
Best homeopathy treatment for hair loss
Hair fall and baldness are caused due to many factors like aging, heredity, testosterone, etc. Homeopathy remedy for baldness and homeopathic medicine and hair thinning is being used by the people worldwide.
- Arsenicum Album-It is prescribed when a condition is caused due to depression and anxiety. This is a suitable homeopathy cure.
- Graphites and Thuja- are useful when hair falls along with stomach disorders.
- Silicea-a beneficial remedy.
- Phosphorous-when hair problems occur due to clump and dandruff.
- Lycopodium-is gave for pre maturing of grey hair. It is an appropriate natural remedy.
- Kali carbonicum-useful in case of thinning hair.
Best hair control tips
- Rinsing your hair with apple cider vinegar + sage tea for proper hair growth.
- The herbal serum is quite effective for hair fall control.
- A paste of Licorice extracts + Milk induces hair growth.
- A mix of lemon seeds + blackberry is useful for bald patches.
- Wash your scalp with Urad Dal + Methi.
Naturopathy for hair loss solution
There are various natural remedies for the conditions are:
- Gentle scalp massage improves blood circulation and stimulates hair re-growth.
- Massage with Amla/Bhringaasava /sesame oil/ coconut oil/ rosemary oil/lavender oil/ cedarwood is a good nature cure treatment.
- Vitamin E oil massage strengthens the fragile hair.
- Intake of pro-inflammatory foods like dairy products, animal products should be avoided.
- Fresh vegetables, sprouts, legumes, soy, etc. should be preferred.
- Minerals like silica strengthen hair follicles therefore one should give more importance to potatoes, cucumbers, and sprouts.
- Acupuncture is too recommended for the treatment.
- Aloe Vera is a good treatment as it heals the scalp and cleansing the pores.
- Henna is superb for shining hair as it repairs the cuticle and protects hair from thinning.
- For the proper growth of hair, grape extract and vitamin B may be used.
- Herbs like ginkgo biloba, bilberry, and palmetto are the natural remedy.
- Buffing of the fingernails of one hand to another may cure related to scalp problems
Best home remedy for hair grows
- Mix Amla + shikaki powder with curd and use it on the scalp for shining hair. This is a homemade remedy.
- Massage with aroma oil is helpful and keeps one away from baldness.
- Rinse your hair with lemon juice as an effective home remedial measure to prevent baldness.
- Dip a towel in hot water, squeeze it, after then cover your hair. It is a helpful home remedy in preventing it.
- The outer cover of lemon and oranges helps to maintain shining hair and remove dandruff too.
- Massage the scalp with soaked fenugreek seeds. Wrap the scalp for about 2 hours to treat the problem. It is a supportive home remedy.
- Apply the mix of curd; lemon and mustard oil on your scalp and wash it after 30 minutes. It is an effective natural remedy for baldness.
- Take more and more quantity of water along with fresh fruits and green vegetables.
- Boil mustard oil + mehndi leaves for protection of the hair and doused as herbal therapy.
- Massage egg yolk on your scalp for healthy hair care.
- The smearing of henna over the scalp is beneficial for hair growth.
- Natural mild shampoo-lemon, titri, rosemary, is preferred.
- The product of amla + coconut oil is helpful in preventing baldness.
- Boil the hibiscus leaves in water and used the same on the scalp before washing hair with a mild shampoo.
- Rubbing of olive oil reduces hair thinning.
- Rub the scalp smoothly to make the sebaceous gland active thereby increases blood circulation.
- A dry piece of Amla + coconut oil acts as a hair tonic.
- Rub the scalp with onion followed by honey application as a natural home remedy for baldness. The application of fresh Amaranth juice to hair follicles makes the hair soft and shining.
- Apply the mix of olive oil + rosemary +lemon juice + egg yolk to strengthen the hair follicles.
- The extract of coriander leaves is useful.
- Rub the scalp with olive oil + cumin.
- Coconut milk is too beneficial.
- Rub the mix of lettuce + spinach is useful.
- Juice of alfalfa + Carrot + lettuce, a wonderful remedy for hair growth.
Diet treatment for hair fall
For proper growth of hair, there is a need for a healthy and balanced diet where the proportion of carbohydrates, protein, fat, vitamin and minerals should be equally balanced. Hair is primarily made up of protein, so more thrust should be towards proteinus products. Here, some of the important diets are given for hair care and hair treatment. To reduce it, weightage should be given on diet therapy, diet chart, and food pyramid.
- Stick to protein-rich diet-fish, yeast, soybean, low-fat cheese, eggs, beans, and yogurt for proper growth of hair. These diets prevent baldness.
- Increase the intake of iron as it is essential for hemoglobin and blood formation. To increase the number of green vegetables, raisins, dates, etc.
- Zinc is related to hair growth. Take zinc-rich items like seafood.
- Restrict burger, fries, cold, spicy, sugary foods, caffeine, fat, carbonated drinks, animal protein, excessive raw food, tofu, tomatoes, etc. as these are the culprits for hair thinning.
- A diet like Atkins, south beach damages hair.
- Top foods that promote hair growth are liver, yeast, fish, eggs, beans, cottage cheese, yogurt, tofu, whole grain cereals, dark green leafy vegetables, eggs, dates, raisins, walnuts, canola oil, soy, avocados, nuts, seeds, olive, legumes, onions, raw oats, dried fruits, cherry juice, beets, brown rice, root vegetables, winter squash, black beans, pumpkin, black pepper, brown rice syrup etc.
Best hair loss prevention tips
- Hair dyes, hairdryers, and curling should not be used excessively.
- Take calcium to your diet to make hair stronger.
- For coloring of hair, there should be a gap of 6-8 weeks.
- Take a sound sleep.
- Manage stress and anxiety.
- Avoid stiff hairstyles like braids, buns, and ponytails.
- Foods that prevent: Fish, eggs, beans, raisins, beans sprout, seafood, etc.
- Take vitamin C for its prevention. Recommended dose is 1,000-3,000 mg/day.
- A protein-rich diet should be preferred as the hair is made up of protein.
- Vitamin B and biotin are necessary for hair growth.
- Iron is needed for proper oxygenation of the blood in the scalp and other regions of the body.
- Vitamin E stimulates hair growth.
- Avoid harsh shampoo and conditioners.
- Alcohol and beverages should be restricted.
- Combing gently.
- Don’t rub your hair strongly.
- Eat a balanced diet.
- Do meditation and exercise regularly.
2 thoughts on “Hair Loss Prevention and Control through Ayurveda, Yoga and Homeopathy”
I must say, I’ really great full to this writer just for remedies told for my crisis. I am not sure what I would’ve done by myself, if I hadn’t come across such a subject like this. I can also at this time look forward to my future. Once again, thanks for your time so much for your high quality and result oriented guide.
Very good and precise article ! Good work