We all are very acquainted with the delicious recipes of pumpkin, but pondering over the health benefits and uses of pumpkin seeds. Whenever, I visited market to purchase vegetables, buying pumpkin is one of my options. But, I hardly keep its seeds. Once, one of my friends who are dietician by profession visited my place for lunch. We have many dishes including pumpkin on our dining table. To my surprise, after finishing our lunch, she only discussed about pumpkin’s nutritional value and moreover its seeds nutritional facts. She told us that pumpkin seeds are having protein, essential fatty acid, vitamins, and minerals. The seeds are rich in iron, magnesium, potassium, sodium, zinc, copper and manganese. It is having important amino acids like arginne, lysine, tryptophan and glumatic acid are present in it. It is also loaded with essential fatty acid such as oleic acid, linoleum acid, etc. On the other hand, it has many useful uses in making of salads, sandwiches, soups, bread, cookies and sweet dishes
Wonder benefits of pumpkin seeds
As far as health benefits are concerned, pumpkin seeds are full of fiber and known for many surprising health benefits. These seeds are used in making many recipes, cookies and dishes.
- Pumpkin seeds for weight loss: Pumpkin seeds are full of fiber, which discourage more eating because of giving the feeling of full stomach. One cup of its seeds has about 600 calories, thus it fulfills your calorie intake to a greater extent of your body. Not only this, it also boosts your fiber intake. Therefore, the regular use of such seeds helps to control as well as management of weight.
- Pumpkin seeds for hair: Pumpkin seeds are enriched in protein, essential amino acids, iron, magnesium and copper. All these important nutrients help your hair health, hair growth and hair shining. If you are having hair problems like hair loss, hair fall, etc., it is suggested to have pumpkin seeds in your daily requirements to counter such problems. How they work?: (i). Proteins and essential amino acids like arginine, glutamic acids and lysine are good for your hair health and also prevent breakage of hair. (ii). Content of iron is responsible for hair strengthening and hair growth. (iii). Magnesium makes your hair strong and healthy. (iv). Massage your scalp with its oil, which easily absorbed and makes your hair follicles stronger. (v).The roasted seeds contain copper which have melanin stimulating properties that lead to make your hair dark. (vi). The adequate amount of fatty acids are good in making your hair strong and hydrated and also prevent dry and dullness.
- Pumpkin seeds for healthy skin: Pumpkin seeds are beneficial to control many skin related diseases. How they work? : (i), The presence of fatty acid like oleic acid and linoleum acid ensures to make your skin glowing. Such acids also make your skins hydrated and moist. (ii). The seeds oil prevents clogging of skin pores thereby helpful to make your skin refreshing and rejuvenating. It also acts against dryness and dullness of skin. (iii). The antioxidants keep your skin fair and smooth.
- Pumpkin seeds for cardiac heath: One quarter of pumpkin seeds has 50% of recommended daily requirement of magnesium. How they work? (i). Magnesium is beneficial in for heart. It prevents sudden cardiac arrest, heart attack and strokes. Magnesium also maintains BP and regulates metabolic reactions in the body. (ii). The presence of arginine amino acid ensures healthy heart. (iii). Omega fatty acids prevent cardiac complications.
- Pumpkin seeds for sexual heath: Eating pumpkin seeds make your’s sexual life enjoyable. How they work? (i). It has vital amino acid known as arginine, which has power to make your sexual life pleasant. (ii). It increases your sperm count because of lycopene pigment.
- Pumpkin seeds for diabetes treatment: Pumpkin seeds are effective in controlling the sugar level thus helpful in diabetes treatment. Method: (i). Take 2 tbsp of Pumpkin seeds and boil it in 1 litre of water until it becomes half. Now, strain and cool it and drink like as tea. Magnesium presence helps to regulate metabolism thus directly or indirectly control sugar.
- Pumpkin seeds for kidney stone: Make the tea of pumpkin seeds. Strain and sip it twice or thrice a day. Being a diuretic in nature, it is helpful for kidney stone, infection in the urinary tract and overall health of kidney.
- Pumpkin seeds cure Marasmus and Kwashiorkor: Pumpkin seeds having some important amino acids, which are essentially important to cure protein deficiency diseases like Marasmus and Kwashiorkor.
- Pumpkin seeds are good source for vitamin B-complex: It is one of few seeds which has better amount of vitamin B-complex. Many important B-Complex vitamins like niacin, riboflavin, thiamine, vitamin B6 and pantothenic acid are part of it.
- Nutritional values of Pumpkin seeds: The nutritional facts of pumpkin seeds are: It is loaded with protein, essential fatty acid, vitamins, and minerals. It has good amount of vitamin B-complex like niacin, riboflavin, thiamine, vitamin B6 and pantothenic acid. The seeds are good source of arginine, tryptophan, glutamic acids and lysine. It contains magnesium, calcium, copper, iron, potassium, sodium, zinc, copper and manganese. It is enriched in essential fatty acids like oleic acid and linoleum acid.
Pumpkin seeds uses
- Roasted and dried pumpkin seeds are used as snacks, soups and sauces.
- It is used to make sprouts.
- It’s oil is generally used in cooking, especially by the people of West African nations.
- It is used in making of tea that helpful in management of diabetes.
- It is used in salads and fried rice.
- Sandwiches are also made of it.
- It can be consumed as soup.
- It is used in making of sweet dishes.
- It is the part of bread and cookies.
Side-effects of pumpkin seeds
One should take some precautions while eating pumpkin seeds. Pumpkin seeds should be chewed properly otherwise it will come out intact along with your fecal matter. Its seeds tea shouldn’t be taken in excess quantity as it may drag you in kidney infection and its associated problems.