The incidence of diabetes is increasing day by day. Being a silent killer is attacking the young generation secretly that increases the burden of the exchequer on the people as well as the government. Two things are common these days- Side effects and Insulin resistance among the people who are taking modern medicines for diabetes treatment. It leads to searching for an alternative system of medicine where Ayurveda has greater application and importance. Ayurveda treats diabetes through drugs, diet, panchakarma, and exercise. The management technique for diabetes in Ayurveda is as follows: Exercise (Vyaayam), dietary regulation (Pathya), Panchakarma (bio-purification procedures), and Medicines. The condition is known by different names such as Asrava, Prameha, Madhumeha, and Maharogya.
Simple Ayurvedic cure for diabetes
- Bitter Gourd Juice: Juice of Bitter melon/Karela (30 ml) may be taken on an empty stomach daily in the early morning. Simple recipes can also be consumed. It is considered one of the best remedies for diabetes. How to prepare:
- Crush the bitter melon into a grinder after separating its seeds. A little bit of water may also be added. Sieve this to have juice.
- Cut the bitter melon into small and thin pieces. Put a small quantity of mustard oil and salt as required into the frying pan. Heat the ingredients along with onion and green chili for about 10-15 minutes.
2. Ground bay leaf & Aloe Vera: The mixture of ground bay leaf (1/2 tbsp), turmeric (1/2 tbsp), and aloe vera gel (1 tbsp) if taken twice a day before lunch and dinner, is helpful to control sugar in the blood thus effective for the problem.
3. Methi Seeds: Fenugreek seeds or its combination with ayurvedic herbs are useful remedies to lessen the signs and symptoms of diabetes. How to prepare:
- Grind seeds of Methi (100 gm) and turmeric (25gm) are taken along with a glass of milk twice a day.
- Soaked fenugreek seeds in warm water overnight followed by chewing it in the morning.
- Soak 4tbsp of the seeds in 300 ml water overnight. Crush them in the morning and strain the mixture. Drink it daily for 3 months.
- Chapattis are also prepared by adding methi powder.
4. Jamun Seeds: The seed powder of Eugenia jambolana (1 tsp) twice a day along with lukewarm water is good in curing it. The chewing of Jamun leaves prevents the conversion of starch into sugar.
5. Amla: The juice of Amla (Embelica officinalis) (20 ml) twice a day is good for diabetic patients. The powder of Amla fruit may also be taken twice a day.
6. Banyan tree bark: The decoction of the bark of ficus bengalensis is consumed (50 ml) twice a day. Preparation method: 20 gm of ficus bark is heated in 4 glass of water. When the mixture remained approx. of 1 glass, it may be taken after make it cold.
7. Cinnamon powder: This is one of the important natural home remedies. How to prepare: First take one liter of drinkable water. Add 3-4 tbsp of cinnamon powder and heat it for 20 minutes. Strain the mixture and made it cool. Drink it every day.
8. Vijaysar Churna: Pterocarpus marsupium is helpful in curing diabetes mellitus: How to use:
- Pterocarpus marsupium bark may be taken in the form of powder twice a day.
- The cube of vijaysar may be kept in water overnight. Drink it in the morning empty stomach.
- Patients also like to take cubes of vijaysar.
9. Triphala: Triphala along with other ingredients are useful in lowering the sugar levels in the blood. How to use: The decoction of equal parts of Triphala, the root of barberry, colocynth, and moth (20ml) may be taken along with turmeric powder (4gm) twice a day.
10. Snake gourd: Decoction of equal part of Patola (a variety of small cucumber-snake gourd), Neem, the fruit of embolic myrobalan, and stem of Guduct (14 to 28 ml.) be taken thrice a day.
Ayurvedic food for diabetes
As per the ayurvedic lifestyle, the following types of food may be taken and permitted by diabetes patients. These wholesome foods are bitter gourd, amla, snake gourd, turmeric, drum stick, barley, wheat, green gram, horse gram, pepper, garlic, blueberry, soybean, cucumber, spinach, fenugreek seeds, Jamun, bel, tulsi,
Ayurvedic food not for diabetes
There are some foods that are prohibited from Ayurveda’s point of view. The list of such food items are: sugar, sugar cane juice, ghee, oil, cakes, jaggery, sour beverages, alcohol, food rich in carbohydrate, curd, root rhizome, junk foods, butter, cold drinks, and biscuits