What is white turmeric?
White or Yellow turmeric is one of the essential ayurvedic medicinal plants, which has been used in the kitchen as a spice since ancient times in the Indian subcontinent. White turmeric is known for its multi-purpose medicinal uses and health benefits. Turmeric is not only a popular spice in the kitchen but also has great significance and reverence in festival rituals and spirituality.
Yellow turmeric description and production
Yellow turmeric, or Zedoary, is a rhizome, yellowish in colour, grown underground. It’s a sensitive plant that needs care for its sapling. It doesn’t require water accumulation while increasing. Simultaneously, to get good quality turmeric, one has to make its soil loosen at regular intervals and also take care of termites and fungus. Some turmeric become rounded or oblong, but generally, they are long and slender. The two essential varieties of it are Curcuma zedoaria (round) and Curcuma zerumbet (long or thin)
Different names for turmeric
- Hindi: Haldi, amb, halad
- English: White or Yellow turmeric
- French: Zedoaire
- German: Zitwer
- Italian: Zedaria
- Spanish: Cedaria
- Indonesian: Kentjur
- Botanical name: Curcuma zedoaria
- Family: Zingiberaceae
Turmeric preparation and storage
Raw turmeric is grown by a farmer on a large scale. They dig it out from the ground and remove its dirt and soil. Sometimes, proper processing is not done by the farmers; the wholesaler or the purchaser is executing it. For household use, it should be washed and dried correctly. Make a fine powder of it and keep it in a tight jar to make use of the same from time to time.
How to cook with turmeric?
Because of its innumerable benefits, turmeric is used for various types of dishes, including both vegetables as well as non-vegetables. As far as the preparation method is concerned, it should be used along with the cooking substances, just as we used salt, chilli and other spices. It shouldn’t be used singly over hot oil as it makes the dishes blackish. It is one of the main ingredients in fish making or non-veg. Preparations. One should also remember that powder is preferable in cooking instead of its whole part. However, the dishes, which require adequate time, its fundamental part can also be used.
15 Medicinal uses of yellow turmeric
- Antiseptic: It is used as an herbal antiseptic, applied over cuts and wounds. It helps to promote local healing and reduces pain and swelling.
- Blood purifier: There are many problems caused due to blood impurities. The use of turmeric acts as a panacea to combat various blood-related problems.
- Flatulence and Colic: One of the primary essential uses of zedoary is to smooth digestion, thus giving excellent relief from gases, flatulence, and colic.
- Sexual problems: Because of its antioxidant properties, it is said that using turmeric is beneficial to cure sexual issues both in the case of males and females. The regular use of Haldi helps cure erectile dysfunction.
- Facilitates childbirth: It is said that using turmeric is good for strengthening the uterus and helpful in delivery.
- Beauty: Turmeric powder has been used in ceremonies, primarily marriages, for a long time to make the bride and bridegroom fairer. The application of the paste of turmeric helps to improve facial glow.
- Pimple remover: Applying turmeric paste and lime juice is practical in controlling pimples and wrinkles.
- Improves immunity: It is suitable for cell regeneration and helps to improve the immunity of the body.
- Painkiller: It is one of the effective herbal pain. It may be taken with vegetables, or people also take it with milk. It can also be taken with jaggery.
- Combat skin allergy: The paste of turmeric and margosa leaves helps to prevent skin allergies, including eczema and ringworm.
- Hair fall: The regular application of the paste of turmeric and shikakai over the scalp helps to prevent hair fall. It is also beneficial for those who are facing the condition of dandruff.
- Cracked heels: Applying turmeric powder and castor oil over the cracked heel ensures its smoothness.
- Burning fat: The mix of turmeric, ginger, and honey is beneficial for those who are obese. It helps to burn fat.
- Strengthens the respiratory system: Using this ayurvedic medicine helps to clear phlegm, mucous, and other watery substances from the nasal passage, thus helping to energise the respiratory system.
- Arthritis: It contains a biochemical substance called curcumin, which helps to reduce inflammation and also fights pains like arthritis.