Drumstick is full of nutritional values and considered as one of the important medicinal herbs in Ayurvedic medicines. Some of the amazing benefits of this herb is that it is anti-oxidant, anti-diabetic, anti-cancerous and anti-asthmatic.
Nutritional facts of Drumstick
The entire plant of drumstick such as pods, leaves, flowers, barks, roots and seeds are loaded with various minerals and nutrients. The 100 grams of this medicinal plant contain Energy (37 kcal), Protein (2.1g), Fat (0.2g), Carbohydrate (8.53g), Fibre (3.2g), Calcium (30mg), Iron (0.36 mg), Magnesium (45mg), Phosphorous (50mg), Potassium (461mg), Sodium (42 mg), Zinc (0.45 mg), Copper (0.084mg), Manganese (0.259mg), Selenium (0.7 µg), Vitamin C (141mg), and other vitamins.
Drumstick recipe ingredients
- Drumstick leaves: 250 grams, Moong dal: 1/3 Cup
- Turmeric powder: 1/4 tsp, Mustard oil: 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds: 1/2 tsp, Urad dal (split black gram): 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli: 1-2 , Cumin seeds: 1/2 tsp
- Salt, pepper and lemon juice to taste
Method of drumstick recipe
Soak moong dal for at least 1-2 hours. Soaking of dal helps in digestion but also reduces the time of cooking. However, if you are in hurry, you can start cooking without soaking it.
Easy steps to make drumstick recipe
Drain water and add this to a saucepan. Add enough water (about a cup) along with turmeric. Cook in med-high flame, allow it to boil and cook until soft. It should not be over cooked to make a paste of it. Take a cooked moong dal and press it with fingers, it should be soft enough to press easily. At this stage, remove the cooked moong dal from flame and drain the retain water if leftover.
Remove the drumsticks leaves from the stem. Wash and give it a rough chop. Now, heat oil in a pan and also add mustard seeds. After sometime, add split urad dal and broken red chilli. Keep all these on the fry pan till the dal turns golden brown. Add cumin and when the aroma hits, add the chopped leaves along with and add salt and mix well. Pour one cup of water so that the leaves cook properly
Add dal to the leafy curry, mix well and season with additional salt if needed and lots of pepper powder. Now switched off the flame and cool it. For taste, one can use fresh lemon juice. The same can be prepared with Chana dal or grated coconut can be added to the leafy curry. It can be eaten with roti, rice or even plain as boiled veg. curry.
Benefits of drumstick recipes
The benefits of eating drumstick leaf are many as it is packed with plenty of nutrients. It is used in the treatment of following conditions and diseases.
- Chronic inflammatory condition
Wonder properties of drumstick
The greenish medicinal herb is full of medicinal properties. Drumstick is anti-oxidant, anti-diabetic, anti-cancerous, anti-seizure, anti-asthmatic, anti-inflammatory, anti-parasitic, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-pyretic, anti-ulcer, anti-spasmodic and anti-allergic.
Unknown uses of drumstick
- The leaf extract of drumstick is used to cure diabetes.
- It helps in lowering blood pressure
- Use in removing of kidney stone.
- It is used as anti-cancerous herb.
- Helps to lower cholesterol.
- It acts as a laxative and diuretic too.
- Swelling of underneath skin
- Low blood pressure
- Skin irritation
- Excess of drumstick should be avoided.
- Pregnant lady better to skip it as it mat act as anti-infertility agent.
- The seeds of the herb are associated with skin irritation, and skin swelling.
Different names of drumstick
- Horseradish tree or drumstick tree
- Subhanjana (Sanskrit)
- Haritashaaka or Akshiva (Ayurveda)
- Sainjna or Saguna (Hindi)