15 Top facts of Tulsi
- Tulsi or holy basil has hundreds of medicinal values and it is said that no disease visit a house, which has Tulsi plant at its doorstep.
- Tulsi has been found to possess extraordinary powers of healing and promoting health. This fact has been confirmed by the modern science, which clearly states that Tulsi possesses a special capacity of killing harmful micro-organisms. Thus the wind that carries the fragrance of Tulsi spreads health and well-being wherever it blows.
4. Tulsi has the power of purifying the atmosphere and acts as a de-polluting agent for the atmosphere. Raising Tulsi plants help to check the proliferation of mosquitoes, flies, and other harmful insects.
5. A special kind of vapour is released by a Tulsi plant into the atmosphere, which purifies the atmosphere. This is actually an essential oil present in the Tulsi plant, which evaporates and spreads through the air, rendering it free from bacteria and other substances likely to cause diseases.
6. Tulsi has a salutary effect not only on the body, but also on the thoughts, tendencies and inclinations of the mind. Tulsi helps in curing physical ailments such as fevers, coughs, colds, and also ensures purity, sanctity and faith.
7. Tulsi has the peculiar quality to kill germs. A number of household remedies for common daily use are prepared by mixing Tulsi with dry ginger, pepper, the tender shoots of the neem tree and cardamom other curative ingredients.
8. Tulsi improves the efficiency of all the organs of the body in a natural way and thus helps in the cure of diseases.
9. The two main varieties of Tulsi are Ram Tulsi and Shyam Tulsi. The leaves of Ram Tulsi are lighter in colour while Krishna Tulsi, is darker in nature, which helps to eradicate Kapha (phlegm). Thus Krishna Tulsi is more of medicinal values.
10. Chewing of few leaves of Tulsi destroys the poisons that areresponsible for malaria disease.
11. Tulsi’s sharp, bitter, hot flavor benefits the heart, stimulates appetite, causes a burning sensation and increases the secretion of bile. It helps to cure leucoderma, dysuria, toxaemia and pain in the flanks, and neutralizes phlegm and gas.
12. The juice of Tulsi is sharp, bitter, and ensures proper formation of semen.
13. As per allopathy, Tulsi acts as an expectorant, and useful in cold-induced disorders such as coughs, backache, bronchitis, pneumonia, influenza and cholera. Tulsi seeds are also used as diuretics and for facilitating urination.
14. In case of severe cold spasms preceding fevers, it is suggested that rubbing the body with Tulsi leaves help to ease out the symptoms of fever and cold.
15. The fragrant qualities of Tulsi have been described in detail in almost all scriptures. Tulsi is surely considered and occupy the top most position among plants. It is also largely used to flavour items of food and drink.