Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia) is known as queen of all herbs. It is supposed to be the nectar of god Indra, that’s why, it is considered Amrita (pious liquid or nectar). It is used in the treatment and curing of many diseases and known as panacea for all the diseases and disorders. Giloy is useful in the promotion and restoration of health and make you ready for holistic well-being. It is helpful in de-stress and anxiety and having immunomodulatory effects. Besides, it has many unknown health benefits and uses. It is also very very useful in Dengue because it helps to increase the count of platelets.
Medicinal benefits of Giloy
Giloy is used in multiple drug formulations. It has many health benefits such as anti-inflammatory, anti-arthritic, anti-allergic, anti-malarial, anti-diabetic and anti-impotency. In the modern medical science, it is known as an antioxidant. It is proven anti-endotoxic potential, bolsters host defence and decreases incidence of sepsis, stimulates phagocytosis, and proven efficacy inimmuno-compromised condition
Giloy is found throughout the tropical regions of India. The creeper is traced its origin in India and widely used as medicinal herb both in Ayurveda as well as Unani. Its medical importance is known since the ancient times; especially the ancient physicians who used it to cure a number of diseases.
Different names of Giloy
- English: Tinospora
- Hindi: Giloy, Gulancha
- Sanskrit: Amrita, Guduchi, Chchinna, Amritavalli, Amritavallari,
- Punjabi: Batindu, Garham, Garum
- Marathi: Giloya
- Bengali: Gulancha
- Gujrati: Gilaya
- Kannada: Giloy
Nutritional facts of Giloy
It is abundant in alkaloids. Diterpenes are of great interest for their number and chemistry. The other biochemical substances, which are found in giloy are steroids, flavonoids, lignans, carbohydrates, etc. Its biochemical products are used in the manufacturing of many herbal, ayurvedic and modern medicines.
Giloy and Ayurveda
As per ayurvedic science, giloy is full of health and medicinal benefits. In Ayurveda, lots of things have been written regarding the relevance and significance of Giloy. Giloy is an anthelmintic, anti-arthritic, anti-periodic, anti-pyretic, anti-pruritic, aphrodisiac, cardiotonic, carminative, bitter tonic, blood-purifier, digestant, diuretic, expectorant, anti-diabetic, anti-gonorrhoea anti-emetic and anti-icteric.
Giloy and Unani
A number of diseases are cured and treated by Unani physicians using giloy and its formulations with other unani herbs. Some of the diseases and conditions where Tinospora are effective are appetizer, stomachic, antipyretic, diabetic, expectorant, emetic, hematinic, and blood purifying. It is good to manage every type of fever. It subsides burning sensation in heart, liver and stomach. It is good for sperm as it thickens the semen. If you have sexual problems, start taking giloy after consultation with a physician.
Top 10 uses of Giloy
- It is used to cure all type of fevers, particularly the chronic fever.
- When giloy decoction is taken with ghee on empty stomach, daily in the morning helps to cure all types of skin diseases.
- Using giloy delays the time of ejaculation and thus it acts as aphrodisiacs. Giloy is one of the best remedies for the management of premature ejaculation.
- It is given to lactating mothers, who are experiencing a lack of milk.
- It is used as rejuvenative, especially in the ayurvedic system of medicine.
- It is quite effective for gastro-intestinal disorders like dyspepsia, acid dyspepsia, gastritis, etc.
- It is known as Indian Quinine and widely used in Infective hepatitis, spleenomegaly and in the last stage of syphilis.
- The alcoholic people should take giloy on regular basis as it helps to vitalize the liver tissues thus safeguards the liver, kidney and heart.
- Tinospora being a powerful medhya rasayana, helps to enhance grasping power as well as memory.
- Giloy stimulates the immunity and increases the antibody-producing cells
and circulating antibody throughout the body.
Top 10 benefits of Giloy
- Full of immunogenic properties: It is great for the immune system. It helps to cure infectious diseases of bones, lungs, intestines, blood disorders, intermittent fever and dysfunctions of the liver.
- Skin diseases: When giloy is taken with ghee on empty stomach in the morning, helps to cure all types of skin diseases including, acute & chronic dermatitis, prickly heat, sunburn, pruritus associated with urticaria, all forms of cosmetic allergy, ringworm, psoriasis, leucoderma and leprosy.
- Cure gastro-intestinal disorders: Giloy has a bacteriostatic effect on cornebacterium tuberculosis and E. coli thus helpful in gastro-intestinal disorders like dyspepsia, acid dyspepsia, gastritis, oesophagi flatulence, thirst, chronic diarrhoea, chronic dysentery, liver disorders, jaundice, biliary disorders, gastric and duodenal ulcer or in any gaster-intestinal colic.
- Panacea for liver diseases: It helps to vitalize the liver and prevent any further damage to this vital organ. Its decoction is also good for kidney and heart.
- Prevent cancer: It stimulates the proliferation of stem cells and increases in total white blood
cells and bone-marrow cells thus enhance antibody-producing cells and phagocytic activities. Giloy extract proved useful in reducing the chemotoxicity induced by free radical forming chemicals. The oral administration of rasayanas along with other indigenous herbal drugs were found to protect from Cyclophosphamide.
- Stress management: The aqueous, alcoholic, acetone and petroleum ether extracts of the stem of Tinospora Cordifolia have shown anti-stress activity and Pyrrolidine isolated from the ethylacetate extract of T. Cordifolia showed central nervous system .depressant and hypoglycemic activity.
- Diabetes control: Giloy gives immediate and beneficial effect in glucose tolerance and adrenaline induced Hyperglycaemia. It helps in the production of insulin and enhances the capacity to burn glucose. It decreases the blood sugar level.
- Arthritis treatment: The giloy extract and decoction is helpful in the treatment and management of gout, gouty arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, clinical conditions or excess urate deposition.
- Heart disease:Giloy along with piper nigum has positive impact on cardiac conditions such as angina pectoris, myocardial infarction, ischemic heart diseases and certain arrhythmias. It will help clear the obstruction in the arteries as well as in the heart and act as cardioprotective agent.
- Giloy for urinary infections: Giloy is used to cure all type urinary infections such as uricouria, ketonuria, glycouria, haematuria, albuminuria, dysuria, crystaluria, burning micturition in cystitis, urethritis and particularly in diabetes mellitus.
Parts used: fresh and dried stem.
15 thoughts on “Top 10 Wonder Benefits of Giloy(Tinospora Cordifolia)”
Its a unique herb and it is called AMRIT its no wrong.
A refined favorable, knowledgeable,helpful and healthful information if one thinks deeply.
In Kannada it is Amrita balli
Very useful information and beneficial too
In assamese it is called Amar Lota/Saguni Lota
I hv taken for years. Very beneficial.
INIDAN GOVT SHOULD DWELL ON THE MOST POPULAR AND PROVEN HERBS AND POPULARISE SAME ACROSS THE MASSES TO INCREASE THEIR IMMUNITY
WE SHOULD NOT LET GO OFF THE NECTAR OF OUR VEDA & AYURVEDA ! LIKE WISE YOGA SHOULD BE ENCOURAGED IN ALL FORMS OF MEDIA
Wonderful wonderful information.
Giloy has plethora of benefits.
I AM DOING MY BEST TO PROMOTE IT.
I am doing my best to promote and provide it to people.
Keep it up as it is beneficial for immunity.
In KANNADA, it is called as AMRUTH BALLI.