Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia) is known as the queen of all herbs. It is supposed to be the nectar of the god Indra; that’s why it is considered Amrita (pious liquid or nectar). It is used in treating and curing many diseases and is known as a panacea for all conditions and disorders. Giloy helps promote and restore health and prepares you for holistic well-being. It is helpful in de-stress and anxiety and has immunomodulatory effects. Besides, it has many unknown health benefits and uses. It is also beneficial in Dengue because it helps increase platelet count.
Medicinal benefits of Giloy
Giloy is used in multiple drug formulations. It has many health benefits, including anti-inflammatory, anti-arthritic, anti-allergic, anti-malarial, anti-diabetic and anti-impotency. In modern medical science, it is known as an antioxidant. It has proven anti-endotoxic potential, bolsters host defence, decreases sepsis incidence, stimulates phagocytosis, and has demonstrated efficacy in immune-compromised conditions.
Giloy is found throughout the tropical regions of India. The creeper is traced to its origin in India and is widely used as a medicinal herb in Ayurveda and Unani. Its medical importance has been known since ancient times, especially the ancient physicians who used it to cure several diseases.
Different names of Giloy
- English: Tinospora
- Hindi: Giloy, Gulancha
- Sanskrit: Amrita, Guduchi, Chchinna, Amritavalli, Amritavallari,
- Punjabi: Batindu, Garham, Garum
- Marathi: Giloya
- Bengali: Gulancha
- Gujrati: Gilaya
- Kannada: Giloy
Nutritional facts of Giloy
It is abundant in alkaloids. Diterpenes are of great interest for their number and chemistry. The other biochemical substances found in giloy are steroids, flavonoids, lignans, carbohydrates, etc. Its biochemical products manufacture many herbal, ayurvedic and modern medicines.
Giloy and Ayurveda
As per Ayurvedic science, giloy is full of health and medicinal benefits. In Ayurveda, many things have been written regarding the relevance and significance of Giloy. Giloy is an anthelmintic, anti-arthritic, anti-periodic, anti-pyretic, anti-pruritic, aphrodisiac, cardiotonic, carminative, bitter tonic, blood-purifier, digestant, diuretic, expectorant, anti-diabetic, anti-gonorrhoea anti-emetic and anti-icteric.
Giloy and Unani
Unani physicians cure and treat several diseases using Giloy and its formulations with other Unani herbs. Some diseases and conditions where Tinospora are effective are appetisers, stomachic, antipyretic, diabetic, expectorant, emetic, hematinic, and blood purifying. It is good to manage every type of fever. It subsides a burning sensation in the heart, liver and stomach. It is good for sperm as it thickens the semen. If you have sexual problems, start taking giloy after consultation with a physician.
Top 10 uses of Giloy
- It is used to cure all types of fevers, particularly chronic fever.
- When giloy decoction is taken with ghee on an empty stomach daily in the morning, it helps cure all skin diseases.
- Using Giloy delays the time of ejaculation, and thus, it acts as an aphrodisiac. Giloy is one of the best remedies for the management of premature ejaculation.
- It is given to lactating mothers who are experiencing a lack of milk.
- It is used as rejuvenating, especially in the Ayurvedic system of medicine.
- It is effective for gastrointestinal disorders like dyspepsia, acid dyspepsia, gastritis, etc.
- It is known as Indian Quinine and is widely used in infectious hepatitis, splenomegaly and the last stage of syphilis.
- The alcoholic people should take giloy regularly as it helps to vitalise the liver tissues, thus safeguarding the liver, kidneys and heart.
- Tinospora, a powerful medhya rasayana, helps to enhance grasping power and memory.
- Giloy stimulates the immunity and increases the antibody-producing cells
and circulating antibodies throughout the body.
Top 10 Benefits of Giloy
- Full of immunogenic properties: It is excellent for the immune system. It helps cure infectious diseases of bones, lungs, intestines, blood disorders, intermittent fever and liver dysfunctions.
- Skin diseases: When giloy is taken with ghee on an empty stomach in the morning, it helps to cure all types of skin diseases, including acute & chronic dermatitis, prickly heat, sunburn, pruritus associated with urticaria, all forms of cosmetic allergy, ringworm, psoriasis, leucoderma and leprosy.
- Cure gastro-intestinal disorders: Giloy has a bacteriostatic effect on cornebacterium tuberculosis and E. coli thus helpful in gastro-intestinal disorders like dyspepsia, acid dyspepsia, gastritis, oesophagi flatulence, thirst, chronic diarrhoea, chronic dysentery, liver disorders, jaundice, biliary disorders, gastric and duodenal ulcer or in any gaster-intestinal colic.
- Panacea for liver diseases: It helps vitalise the liver and prevent further damage to this vital organ. Its decoction is also suitable for the kidney and heart.
- Prevent cancer: It stimulates the proliferation of stem cells and increases total white blood
cells and bone marrow cells, thus enhancing antibody-producing cells and phagocytic activities. Giloy extract reduced the chemotoxicity induced by free radical-forming chemicals. The oral administration of rasayanas and other indigenous herbal drugs was found to protect from Cyclophosphamide.
- Stress management: The aqueous, alcoholic, acetone and petroleum ether extracts of the stem of Tinospora cordifolia have shown anti-stress activity, and Pyrrolidine isolated from the ethyl acetate extract of T. cordifolia showed central nervous system .depressant and hypoglycemic activity.
- Diabetes control: Giloy gives immediate and beneficial effects on glucose tolerance and adrenaline-induced Hyperglycaemia. It helps produce insulin and enhances the capacity to burn glucose. It decreases the blood sugar level.
- Arthritis treatment: The giloy extract and decoction are helpful in the treatment and management of gout, gouty arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, clinical conditions or excess urate deposition.
- Heart disease: Giloy and Piper nigum positively impact cardiac conditions such as angina pectoris, myocardial infarction, ischemic heart diseases and certain arrhythmias. It will help clear the obstruction in the arteries and heart and act as a cardioprotective agent.
- Giloy for urinary infections: Giloy is used to cure all types of urinary disorders such as urticaria, ketonuria, glycosuria, haematuria, albuminuria, dysuria, crystalluria, burning micturition in cystitis, urethritis, particularly in diabetes mellitus.
Parts used: fresh and dried stem.