Unani system of medicine and arthritis
The word arthritis derives from the Greek word arthron means ‘joint’ and the Latin word itis means ‘inflammation’. The condition of arthritis may be found to any age however it is more severe in the case of 50 plus people and especially in the developed world. As per data from WHO, about 0.8% population of the world experiencing arthritis condition. Unani can play an important role in the treatment and management of arthritis. In the Unani system of medicine, arthritis is known as Waja-ul- mafasil, which includes pain in all joints. The different joints pain descried in Unani as Waja-ul- mafaasil aam (arthritis), Waja-ul- zuhr (back pain), Niqras (gout) and Irqun Nisa (sciatica). As per Unani, arthritis happened due to weak immunity and a weak digestive system. Unani physicians have been well versed in treating all types of arthritis (Waja-ul- mafaasil). Unani drugs are highly popular, easily available anywhere, cost-effective, and have the least side effects on the body.
Causes of Waja-ul- Mafaasil (Arthritis)
There are many thinkers and ancient philosophers such as Ali Ibn-e- Abbas Majusi, Ibn-e- Sina, Samarqandi, who have narrated about the causes of arthritis. According to them, some of the important causes are:
- Psychic factors
- Joint weakness
- Balgham (Phlegm)
- Dam (Blood)
- Safra (Yellow Bile) and Sauda (Black bile)
- Lack of exercise (tarke riyazat)
- Weakness of stomach (zo’f-e- me’da)
- Derangement (su-e- tarteeb)
- Sedentary life style
- Voluntary habitual excretion (tarke istifragh-e-aadati)
Symptoms of Waja-ul- Mafaasil (Arthritis)
Some of the important symptoms are:
- Joint pain
- Weight loss
- Inflammation and stiffness in the fingers, arms, and legs.
Unani preventive tips for arthritis
- Regular exercise is of utmost importance.
- Exposure to sunlight is very useful.
- One should avoid extreme exertion, mental stress, anxiety, and depression.
- Positive thinking itself may ease the symptoms of arthritis.
- Asbab-e- sitta zarooria (Six essentials of life) viz. Hawa (Air), Maakool wa Mashroob (Food and drink), Harkat wa sukoon-e- badani (Body movement and rest), Harkat wa sukoon-e- Nafsaani (Mental work and rest), Naum wa Yaqza (Sleep and Wakefulness) and Istifraagh wa Ehtabaas (Retention and Evacuation)
Unani principles for arthritis management
As per Unani philosophy, the basic principles followed for the management of the arthritis are:
- Maintaining humoral imbalance
- Good hygienic practices
- Flush out toxins from the affected joints
- Use of proper diet
- Digestion and appetite improvement
Derangement of humours is responsible for arthritis. The humours, which are responsible for the development of Waja-ul- mafaasil are Phlegm (Balgham), Yellow Bile (Safra), Blood (Dham), and Black Bile (Sauda).
Unani management of arthritis
As per Unani system of medicine, the following treatments are advised for arthritis.
- Dieto therapy (Ilaj bil ghiza)
- Regimental therapy(Ilaj bil tadbeer)
- Pharmaco therapy(Ilaj bil dawa)
- Surgery (Ilaj bil yad)
In Unani system of philosophy, the first priority is given to Regimental therapy along with dieto therapy. If these treatment doesn’t work, then switched over to to pharmacotherapy and Surgery is the last option for arthritis patients.
Regimental therapy(Ilaj bil tadbeer) for arthritis
The regimental therapies include the following sub-therapies for joints pain treatment. All these treatments individually or collectively give required result for the disease.
- Turkish bath
- Purgation as per requirement of the condition.
Diet therapy for arthritis
As per Unani, diet plays an important role in the management and prevention of arthritis. Diet, which is good for arthritis are Bird meat, Fish. Wheat, Bengal gram, Indian millet, Big Beans, French Beans, Palak, Onion, Beetroot, Carrot, Red chilly, Black pepper, Ficus carica, Almond, Pista (Pistacea vera), Walnut, Dates, Apricot, Grapes, Pure ghee, Menthi and papaya.
However, some diet should be avoided. Food items, which are having hot temperament, cold temperament drugs, red meat, protein-rich diet, kidney beans, curd, butter mixed with milk, banana guava, and brinjal may be skipped.
Unani medicine for arthritis ( Waja-ul- Mafaasil)
- Make a fine powder of ajwain (25g), Madar flower (25gm), sonth (25gm), Suranjan talkh (25gm), and sesame oil (300ml) and boil till the powder is brunt. Strain and kept it in a bottle. Massage gently with lukewarm oil on the joints.
- Boil Arand root (50gm) in 2 litres of water and reduce to half a litre. Strain and mix with oil (250ml). Boil till the water evaporates and only the oil remains. Massage gently with lukewarm oil on the joints.
- Boil Dathura (4gm) in mustard oil (250 ml) till the fruits are brunt. Strain and keep it in a bottle. Massage gently with lukewarm oil on the joints.
- Make a fine powder of 30 gram each of Asgand, Suranjan, Ispand and Khulanjam. Now take it 3gm of it daily with water.
- Make a fine powder of Sonth (30gm), Jeera (30gm), Black pepper (15gm), Podina (30gm) and preserve it. Take 3gm of it daily with water.
- Make a fine powder from 20 gram each of ajwain, black pepper, Elva, burnt suhaga and mix with a sufficient quantity of pulp of Gheekuwar. Now make Bengal gram size pills and take 4 pieces with water twice a day.
- Suranjan Sheirein (Colchicum autumnale)
- Zanjabeel (Zingiber officinale)
- Khulanjan (Alpinia galanga)
- Turbud (Operculina turpethum)
- Charela (Pemalia perlata)
- Majeeth Irani (Rubia cordifolia)
- Kaiphal (Myrica nagi)
- Sa’d koofi (Cyperus rotundus)
- Qaranfal (Syzygium aromaticum)
- Narkachoor (Zingiber Zerumbet)
- Majoon Suranjan
- Iyarij feeqrah
- Roghan-e- surkh
- Qurs-e- mafaasil
- Arq-e- ushbah
- Habb-e- mafaasil
- Dalook bara-e- waja-ul- mafaasil
- Matbook bara-e- mafaasil
- Nutool bara-r- mafaasil
- Tila bara-e- mafaasil
- Nuskh-e- zimaad
- Habb-e- suranjan
- Roghan-e- chaub chini
- Dalook-e- mom
- Zimaad-e- aak bara-e- waja- ul- mafaasil
- Joshanda bara-e- waja- ul- mafaasil
- Latookh-e- suranjan
- Majoon jograj googal