National Institute of Siddha
National Institute of Siddha (NIS) is a pioneer Siddha institute in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, under the Ministry of AYUSH, Govt. of India. It is a premier institute, known for quality health care services and education. The Siddha institute has 200 bedded hospital and about 2300 patients visited its OPD daily. It offers postgraduate courses and Ph.D. in Siddha. The institute is also known for treating many diseases through its special therapies.
Photo Source: getmyuni.com
National Institute of Siddha courses
National Institute of Siddha offers two courses: MD in Siddha and Ph.D. in Siddha
MD Siddha degree course
It is affiliated with Dr. MGR Medical University, Chennai and the curriculum is in accordance with Central Council for Indian Medicine, New Delhi. There are six post-graduate programs namely:
- Maruthuvam-8 seats
- Gunapadam-8 seats
- Sirappu Maruthuvam-8 seats
- Kuzhandai Maruthuvam-8 seats
- Noi Nadal-7 seats
- Nanju Noolum Maruthuva Needhi Noolum-7 seats
The basic requirements for the above courses are as follow:
- Qualification: Siddha graduates with BSMS/BIM
- Entrance exam: Common for all the six disciplines
- Duration: 3 years
One seat is reserved in any of the above six disciplines for Siddha graduates from BIMSTEC countries.
Point to remember:
- Total seat is 46 including 1 seat reserved for BIMSTEC student.
- Notification is made in the month of July.
- Entrance and counseling held in the month of October.
Ph.D Siddha course
Ph.D. in NIS is offered in the given six specific disciplines
- Sirappu Maruthuvam
- Kuzhandai Maruthuvam
- Noi Nadal
- Nanju Noolum Maruthuva Needhi Noolum
The basic requirements for a Ph.D. in NIS
- Total seats: 12
- Qualification: MD in Siddha
- Selection: through entrance exam
National Institute of Siddha treatments
- The institute is attached to Ayothidoss Pandithar Hospital where OPD services are provided free of cost to the common people.
- OPD services are available 365 days of the year.
- OPD timings: General OPD: 8 am to 12 noon, Geriatric OP: 3 pm to 5 pm (every Tuesday), Vanmeegam-cancer clinic: 3 pm to 5 pm (every Wednesday), Magavinmai-infertility clinic: 3 pm to 5 pm (every Friday) and Yoga OP: 8 am to 12 noon (every Friday).
National Institute of Siddha IPD
The various departments under IPD are
- Varmam, Puramaruthuvam and Sirappu Maruthuvam
- Kuzhandhai Maruthuvam
- Noi Nadal
- Nanju Maruthuvam
- Aruvai Thool Maruthuvam
- Sool & Magalir Maruthuvam
General ward in National Institute of Siddha In-Patient Department (IPD).
- Male ward in the ground floor
- Female Ward in the first floor
- Pediatric ward: Second floor
- Treatment facility as well as food is free of cost.
Medical tourism in National Institute of Siddha
Following diseases and disorders are covered under medical tourism.
- Metabolic disorder, lifestyle disorders
- Renal failure
- Geriatric diseases
- Autoimmune disorders
- Skin diseases
- Obesity, Diabetes and Cholesterol
- Eye and ENT
- Musculoskeletal disorders
- Respiratory disorders
- Central Nervous System disorders
Special OPD in National Institute of Siddha
- Geriatric OPD: It is for senior citizens of more than 60 years every Tuesday between 3-5 pm. Medicine is given free of cost.
- Infertility OPD (Magavinmai): It is organized every Friday between 3 pm -5 pm.
- Cancer Clinic (Vanmeegam): This opd is functioning from 3 pm-5 pm every Wednesday.
- Yoga OPD: Every Friday between 8 to 12 Noon.
- Aruvai Thol Maruthuvam: For diseases like skin, fistula, hemorrhoids, tumour, etc.
Special therapies in National Institute of Siddha
There are many special therapies are given in NIS. A detailed description of such special therapies are given below.
- Varmam: The therapy Varmam is used to treat cervical spondylosis, lumbar spondylosis, frozen shoulder, paraplegia, and hemiplegic. Varmam therapy is the pressure manipulation on the said points with particular force for a specific time. It leads to the flow of pranic energy, which is obstructed due to some factors. The different methods are used in Varmam therapy such as energy-based treatment, vital air-based treatment, nervous system based treatment, bone-based treatment, muscles based treatment, and internal organ-based treatment. These treatments are executed by experts in the field.
- Karnool Therapy: This therapy is used for the management of fistula. One of the best advantages is that it prevents the recurrence of the condition.
- Thokkanam (Physical manipulation therapy): It is given to those patients who have deranged vaatham and humors. It is done by trained professionals.
- Attai Vidal (Leech Therapy): It is a special therapy is used to remove toxins from blood by using leech. It is helpful in arthritis, eye diseases, dysmenorrhoea and traumatic swelling, etc.
- Suttigai (Cauterization): It is removing of swelling/bleeding or burning tissues. It is used to treat scrotal swelling, abdominal swelling, and Kaph disorders.
- Patru (Poultice): Its soft moist mass of herbs often heated or medicated. It is used to treat aching, painful parts of the body, skin diseases like emollient, anti-microbial, and anti-allergic.
- Ottradam (Fomentation): This therapy is used in contusion, swelling, and dermatological conditions.
- Poochu (Anointing): Application of liquid or medicated oil locally. It is helpful to reduce Pitham, eczema, and diseases related to Vaatham.
- Pugai (Fumigation): Pugai is an inhalation therapy with medicinal herbs. The main motto of this therapy is used to control infection. Fumigation is helpful in cases of sinusitis, bronchitis, allergies, ear diseases, dental caries, and asthma.
- Kattu (Bandage dressing): It is the of herbs or medicinal or inorganic substances on the affected area. It is useful in case of inflammations, wounds, and other painful conditions.
- Nasiyam (Nasal Drops): It is drug administration through nasal or nasal instillation. This is useful in case of diseases like sinusitis, nasal blocks, migraine, etc.
- Vethu (Steam Inhalation): It is helpful to treat anorectal diseases, tremors and, rheumatoid arthritis.
- Seelai (Medicated Gauze/Plaster): It is used in case of a wound so that it heals up easily. Useful in case of wound healing, chronic ulcers, abscess, neoplasm, fistula, etc.
- Kombu Kattal (Bone setting): Herbal bone setting material is used. It is helpful to reduce pain, swelling, contusion on fractures.
- Pottanam (Medicated packs/pouch): Heated packs of herbal powder. It is used in case of eye diseases, tridosham, spondylosis.
- Pasai (Cream): It’s a resin-based application where fats or vegetable oils are used for treatment purposes. It is used in headache or other painful conditions.
- Kalimbu (Ointment): It’s a vicious semi-solid products used in case of ulcers and eczema
- Peechu (Enema): It is to clear the rectum with the help of medicated water or medicated oil.
- Ennai Kattu (Oil Pooling): Holding warm medicated oil at a particular area for a particular period of time so that oil penetrates into the deeper level of the tissues. This therapy is beneficial in loosening the muscles, spondylosis, sciatica, etc.
- Physiotherapy: It is also given at NIS.
4 thoughts on “National Institute of Siddha Treatments and Courses in Chennai”
i want to become an ayurvedic or sidha doctor how it is possible pls guide me
I am diabetic advice remedy
You can do Yoga i.e. Trikonasana, Surya Namaskar, Twisting Yoga, Pranayam, Uddyana Bandha, Dhyan, etc. under the supervision of a therapist.
I live overseas, and I have 10 years of diabetes, I would like to try out siddha medical treatment. Do you do online consultation?