Siddhars are known for some hidden powers that led to them attaining ‘God like’ state. They used such powers to control time and space, body transformation and achieving immortality. These siddhars yogis contributed a lot for the betterment and welfare of the society. Their approach was holistic and believed on “Food is Medicine, Medicine is Food”. They had also said “Sound mind makes the sound body”. Siddha medicine reached at zenith during Tamil siddhars. All the 18 South Indian Siddhars gave solid platform to ancient system of siddha medicine. Their contributions are well known in the field of Vaithiyam (medicine), Vatham (alchemy), Jothidam (astrology), Manthirigam (tantric practices), Yogam (meditation and yogic practices) and Gnanam (knowledge and almighty). They have written many important books on medicine, alchemy, spirituality, etc.
18 Siddhars of South India
- Agathiyar-father of Tamil literature
- Agathiyar is the most renowned siddhar in the history of Tamil.
- He was the father of Tamil literature.
- The compiling of first Tamil grammar Agathiym went to him.
- He had the mastery over language, medicine, alchemy and spirituality.
- He authored as many as 96 books and some of his famous books are Vaidiya Sigamani, Chendhooram-300, Mani-400, Sivajalam and Sakthijalam.
- It is considered that he was the direct disciple of Lord Siva.
2. Thirumoolar-the Prince of Mystics
- Thirumoolar is known as the prince of mystics.
- Nandhidevar was his Guru.
- The compiling of the magnum opus ‘Thirumanthiram’ went to him that deals with body and soul.
- The book ‘Thirumanthiram’ is regarded as the Bible of Tantrik Yoga.
- His famous literary works are ‘Thirumanthiram’ and Saiva ‘Siddhantham’ which contributed a lot in the field of Siddha system of medicine.
- He was the great philosopher of atomic theory or nanotechnology.
- His physiological principles are of great importance.
- He gave much more thrust upon ‘sound mind in a sound body’.
3. Bogar-the propagator of spirituality
- He spread the message of spirituality and propagated the same in China.
- He is known for his contributions in the field of alchemy, medicine and yoga.
- His works for the synthesis of mercury and arsenic compounds was praiseworthy.
- He authored more than 42 books on Siddha medicine.
- The statue of Lord Muruga which he created contains Nava Pasana (nine arsenic compounds).
4. Konganar- the son of Bogar
- Konganar is the son of Bogar.
- He is credited with more than 40 books based upon alchemy and elixir.
- He had also expertise on philosophy, medicine and spirituality.
- Kongunado is his birth place.
5. Therayar-master of astrology
- He had mastery over astrology, mysticism, alchemy, medicine and language.
- His scholarly aptitude and command over language were exceptional.
- He had command over many languages such as Telugu, Kannada, Malayalam, Tamil and Sanskrit.
- His works on diseases and disorders are praiseworthy.
- He was the disciple of Dharmasowmiyar.
- Korakkar’s known works are Korakkar brahma gnanam 1, Korakkar brahma gnana soothiram and Korakkar karpa choothiram.
- Korakkar mooli used by him in the preparations of poorna lehyam.
- The masterpiece of Karuvurar is Karuvurar vadha kaviyam, Karuvurar sive gnana bodhakam and Thiruisaippa.
- Karuvurar had given great contributions in the construction of Tanjore Temple.
- Owing to this, a special shrine has been made in the Tanjore temple itself.
- His major contributions are rasavatham and kayakarpam
- Chattamuni is known for his contributions in the field of alchemy and 96 thathuvas.
- Sattamuni pini gnanam100, Sattamuni vadha kaviyam 1000, Sattamuni vatha soothiram 200, Sattamuni gnana vailakkam 51 are his main masterpiece works.
- Sundaranar is known for his contributions in Sundaranar siva gnana yogam 32 and Sundaranar vakkya sutram 64.
- He made surprised everyone by making of chunnam.
- Ramadevar’s major work is Ramadevar1000.
- He was the disciple of Pulathiyar.
- He has made major contributions in the development of Kayakalpa.
- Attama siddhis (eight unique powers) of siddhars are enumerated in his works.
- His major contributions are gnana siddhi that is having Aadu pambe means dancing snake.
- His major contribution is Machendhra nadhar endra nondi siddhar padal
- He is known for his works that are related with spiritual bliss and gnana yoga.
- His major contribution is Kudambai siddhar padalgal.
15. Azhuganni Siddhar
- His major work is Siddhar gnanakovai.
16. Agapai siddhar
- His major work is Gnana siddhi
- His place of Samadhi is considered to be Thiruvalankadu.
- He was the disciple of Korakkar.
- He is considered as the direct disciple of Lord Siva.
- His major contribution is Nandhi kalai gnanam 1000.
- He is regarded as the guru of gurus.
- He was the disciple Agathiyar.
- His major contributions are Pusundar mei gnana vilakkam-80, and pusundar gnanam-19.