Skip to content
Mill Churning pose yoga meaning
- Mill Churning pose yoga is the simple yoga exercise to loosen up the body and prepare one to perform other yoga practices easily.
- Chakki Chalanasana comprises Chakki means ‘Grinder’, Chalana means ‘drive’, and Asana indicates ‘yoga posture’.
- It is pronounced as ‘Chuh-key-Chuh-LAANA-AAHS-uh-nuh’.
- The movement of this yogic exercise seems to be like a hand-moved wheat grinder, which was quite common some years back in villages and still found in few villages.
- It is a movement which many Indian ladies use when they grind corn between two grinding wheels.
Mill Churning pose benefits
- One of the best yoga poses to burn lower belly fat.
- This is an excellent exercise for shoulders, lower back, lower abdomen and waist.
- It helps to tone up the back and prevents sciatica.
- It is also beneficial to reduce post-delivery fat.
- It is good for sexual organs such as ovary and testes.
- It helps to stimulate and sensitize the abdominal organs thereby curing constipation and indigestion. Also read: Best yoga to relieve constipation
- It is a complete body exercise. Thus prevents fats accumulation in the body.
How to do Mill Churning pose step by step
- Sit on the floor with the legs outstretched, feet apart.
- Interlock your fingers.
- Straighten your arms at shoulder height.
- Rotate your hands in as big a circle as possible on a horizontal plane.
- Keep your arms straight throughout the whole exercise.
- Lean forward and try to make your interlocked hands pass over the top of the feet at the outer stroke of the circle.
- Then try to lean backwards as far as possible, keeping your feet on the ground, so that your hands pass over the top of your thighs.
- Rotate your hands 10 times clockwise, then 10 times anticlockwise.
- Lie back and relax yourself completely.
- Breathe in as you lean backwards.
- Breathe out as you lean forwards.
- When you can easily perform the physical movement alone, coordinate your breathing with the movement.
- When the practice has been mastered with the breathing added, then become aware of the movement of the muscles of the lower back as the exercise is performed.
- It shouldn’t be practice during pregnancy. Please read: Yoga poses for normal delivery.
- Low blood pressure
- Lower back pain
- Slipped disc
- Abdominal surgery
- It should be done before practicing the yoga session so that the muscles loosen up easily.
- Legs should be suitable apart while performing it.
- Try to make big circle while practicing it.
- Your arms should be straight and stretched during the movement.
Modifications and variations
- The beginners can perform it with some modifications and variations.
- Initially, it is not necessary to make the interlock fingers cross over the toes.
- Better to it by doing small circle instead of bigger circumference.
- As the body loosens ups, the circumference will atomically increases.