Unani principles of health and well-being involves cleanliness of body, cleanliness of clothes, personal cleanliness, cleanliness of home, unani diet, etc.
Top 5 unani principles for healthy living
Cleanliness of Body
- Takes bath everyday as it helps to clean the body.
- One should bath through fresh cold water but children and old
people should use lukewarm water.
- Bathing is not advisable immediately after or before exercise, tiresome work or sexual intercourse.
- Pregnant women should not spend more time in bathroom as it causes weakness and saps the energy.
- After bath, use soft clean towel to dry the body.
- Lukewarm water is preferable for bathing throughout the year.
- One may spent five to fifteen minutes in bathing.
Cleanliness of Clothes
- Undergarments must be changed and washed everyday.
- Clothes should be changed and washed every three to four days in all seasons.
- All tight clothes should be avoided as they interfere with circulations, respiration, digestion and action of muscles.
- Personal cleanliness means cleanliness of skin, mouth, nails,
hair and other parts of the body.
- The best way of cleaning the teeth is to brush them with a Miswak, a soft branch Neem or Babool as it cleans and keeps the gums strong.
- The tongue should be cleaned every morning.
- Nails should be trimmed regularly at least once in a week.
- Hair in the armpits and on the pubic region should be removed at least once in a month.
Cleanliness of Home
- The windows and doors must be kept open to allow fresh air.
- Room dampness should be avoided.
- Take special care to keep bathrooms and lavatories clean.
- Diet for Children: It should be liquid, semi-liquid, easily digestible, rich in protein such as milk, cream, eggs, meat and vegetable soup, fruits and easily
- Diet for Young Persons: Heavy meals of mutton, dry fruit, butter, vegetables, bread, rice and almost all types of food are easily digested at this age.
- Diet for Old Persons: Light and easily digestible food should be taken.
- Mutton and eggs better to take in winter while curd, milk and vegetables are good in summer.
- In rainy season, heavy fluid containing foods such as milk, curd, watermelon and vegetables should be avoided.
- Moderation in eating is of great importance.
How to eat as per Unani?
- Eat only whenever you feel hungry.
- Overeating eating should be discouraged.
- Take well cooked and comparatively hot foods but not too hot foods.
- Stale foods should be avoided, especially in the rainy season.
- While eating foods, your mind should be calmed and relaxed.
- Fruits and vegetables should be taken with meals everyday.
- One shouldn’t take same type of foods always.
- Avoid eating rice continuously as it encourages excess of fluid in the body.
- Excess using of citrus foods leads to weakening the body and hasten aging.
- Continuous use of sweet meats leads to weakening the nerves and upsetting the stomach.
The following combinations of food should be avoided while eating.
- Rice and watermelon
- Rice and Sattoo
- Pomegranate and Hareesa
- Kalla Paye and grapes
- Fish and milk