5 Best Unani principles for healthy living
Unani principles of health and well-being involve cleanliness of the dry body with a soft, clean towel body, cleanliness of clothes, personal cleanliness, cleanliness of the home, Unani diet, etc.
Cleanliness of Body
- Take a bath every day as it helps to clean the body.
- One should bathe through fresh, cold water, but children and older adults should use lukewarm water.
- Bathing is not advisable immediately after or before exercise, tiresome work, or sexual intercourse.
- Pregnant women should not spend more time in the bathroom as it causes weakness and saps energy.
- After the bath, dry the body with a soft clean towel.
- Lukewarm water is preferable for bathing throughout the year.
- One may spend five to fifteen minutes in bathing.
Cleanliness of Clothes
- Undergarments must be changed and washed every day.
- Clothes should be changed and washed every three to four days in all seasons.
- All tight clothes should be avoided as they interfere with circulation, respiration, digestion, and action of muscles.
- Personal cleanliness means cleanliness of skin, mouth, nails,
hair and other parts of the body.
- The best way of cleaning the teeth is to brush them with a Miswak, a soft branch Neem or Babool, as it cleans and keeps the gums strong.
- The tongue should be cleaned every morning.
- Nails should be trimmed regularly, at least once a week.
- Hair in the armpits and on the pubic region should be removed at least once a month.
Cleanliness of Home
- The windows and doors must be kept open to allow fresh air.
- Room dampness should be avoided.
- Take special care to keep bathrooms and lavatories clean.
- Diet for Children: It should be liquid, semi-liquid, easily digestible, rich in protein such as milk, cream, eggs, meat and vegetable soup, fruits, and easily
- Diet for Young Persons: Heavy meals of mutton, dry fruit, butter, vegetables, bread, rice, and almost all types of food are easily digested at this age.
- Diet for Old Persons: Light and easily digestible food should be taken.
- Mutton and eggs are better in winter, while curd, milk, and vegetables are good in summer.
- In the rainy season, heavy fluid-containing foods such as milk, curd, watermelon, and vegetables should be avoided.
- Moderation in eating is of great importance.
Eating According to Unani
- Eat only whenever you feel hungry.
- Overeating eating should be discouraged.
- Take well-cooked and comparatively hot foods but not too hot foods.
- Stale foods should be avoided, especially in the rainy season.
- While eating food, your mind should be calmed and relaxed.
- Fruits and vegetables should be taken with meals every day.
- One shouldn’t take some food always.
- Avoid eating rice continuously as it encourages excess fluid in the body.
- Excess use of citrus foods weakens the body and hasten aging.
- Continuous use of sweetmeats weakens the nerves and upsets the stomach.
The following combinations of food should be avoided while eating.
- Rice and watermelon
- Rice and Sattoo
- Pomegranate and Hareesa
- Kalla Paye and grapes
- Fish and milk