What is Kesar?
Saffron is known as Zafaran or Kesar. The thread-like part of the Zafraan flower is used for many health and medicinal purposes. Zafraan is one of the most expensive spices in the world as a maximum of its processing work is done through the hand. Saffron is an extremely valuable spice because of its distinct flavor, health, and medicinal properties.
Zafraan is used in many culinary recipes worldwide due to its unique flavor which is happened due to the presence of chemical compounds such as picrocrocin and safranal. The most sought after herbal product is used in diseases like asthma, cough & cold, stomach ailments, insomnia, uterine bleeding, cancer, Alzheimer’s disease, infertility, depression, cholesterol, flatulence, etc. Zafraan contains more than 150 volatile compounds that are good for the overall well-being of the body. Saffron is widely grown in Iran, Turkey, Greece, France, Italy, and Jammu & Kashmir of India.
Amazing benefits of Zafaran
- Saffron for hair loss: The application of Zafraan over the scalp is good in treating baldness (alopecia). The mix of saffron, milk, and licorice, when applied over the scalp, is good in the prevention of hair loss and hair growth. The application is also helpful in stimulating hair growth.
- Saffron for radiant skin: Saffron is highly beneficial for radiant skin. It is suggested that one should make a face pack mixing saffron (2 to 3 strands), milk (3 tsp), and sandalwood powder (1 tsp). Apply the paste on your face, massage gently, and left it for 15 minutes followed by washing with fresh water. It should be done once a week to have a smooth and glow face.
- Saffron for glowing skin: Take 4-5 strands of saffron and soaked it in the water for 2-3 hours. Now, use this mix over your face and massage gently. Wash it after 5 minutes. The process may be repeated twice or thrice a week for fairer skin.
- Saffron good for pimples: Make a paste of Zafraan ( 10 strands) and basil leaves (6-7 leaves). Apply the paste over your face and wash the same after 10 minutes. This application is good in the prevention of acne, blemishes, pimples, wrinkles, and other black spots from the face.
- Saffron as anti-oxidants: Saffron is having many antioxidants that are beneficial in the contending of free radicals thereby helps in the prevention of diseases and the promotion of health.
- Saffron controls heart rate: Potassium in saffron is good in controlling the heartbeat by allowing it to slow down thus protect the heart.
- Saffron for blood pressure: The zafaran spice contains many minerals such as copper, potassium, calcium, manganese, iron, magnesium, zinc, and selenium. Some of these are helpful in controlling blood pressure as well as in the formation of hemoglobin.
- Saffron for cancer prevention: Saffron is containing biochemical compounds such as zeaxanthin, lycopene, α- and β- carotene; all these act as an immune modulators and protect the human body from cancer.
- Saffron as stress buster: The presence of carotenoids is beneficial in boosting the level of immunity and reduces oxidant-induced stress.
- Saffron as an antidepressant: Zafraan contains safranal and alfa-crocin, a volatile oil compound, effective in controlling depression and acts as an anticonvulsant. Kesar brings cheerfulness and wisdom to the body.
- Saffron for disease prevention: Saffron contains many bio-chemical compounds as antioxidants, which are good in the contending of various diseases by controlling free radicals thus promotes the overall well-being of the body.
- Saffron for detoxification: It has many therapeutic applications and in the detoxification of the body. It is also used in body healing, cramps, spasms, and spas.
- Saffron good for digestion: Saffron is good for digestion due to the presence of multiple medicinal compounds and an anti-convulsant. It stimulates digestion. It is suggested that one should make a mix of water (1 liter) and saffron (1g) for strengthening the function of the stomach. Saffron is also beneficial when the liver and spleen get enlarged.
- Saffron good for cellular functioning: Due to the presence of many macro-micro nutrients, especially potassium and magnesium, it is helpful in the growth of cells and tissues. It is also helpful in repairing cells in the body.
- Saffron for hemoglobin formation: saffron contains iron that is good in the hemoglobin in the blood.
- Saffron for overall health: The presence of minerals such as copper, potassium, calcium, manganese, iron, magnesium, zinc, and selenium, promotes optimum health.
- Zafrran for fair complexion: Bathing with zafraan stands (soaked saffron strands for 20-30 minutes in water), is in improving your complexion.
- Saffron for pain management: Since ancient times, zafraan is used as a pain reliever. Periods related pains can be eased by taking tea or milk along with saffron.
- Saffron for toothache: Massaging the tooth with saffron and honey, helps to relieve pain from gums. It may be also applied with honey as well as glycerin to relax the toned parts of the mouth.
- Saffron for healthy lips: Saffron is among the few plant products, which is the biggest source of vitamin B2 (riboflavin). Taking of saffron on a regular basis is helpful in the prevention of throat soreness, swelling of tongues, cracking of lips, skin cracking, and skin irritation.
- Saffron as an analgesic: Saffron contains a sedative compound called safranal, which has a greater impact on the nervous system and very helpful as an analgesic.
- Saffron for colds: When saffron (0.5 g to 1 g) is mixed with warm water (1 liter) and drinking the same is helpful in curing cough and cold.
- Saffron develops immunity: Saffron is having an appropriate percentage of vitamin C, which acts as an immunity booster and saves you from various ailments.
- Refreshment: Due to its unique taste, it is used in many food recipes as well as refreshment purposes.
- Saffron nutritional value: 28 grams of saffron contains the following nutrition: Calories (87), carbohydrate (18g), protein (3g), and fiber (1g).
- Saffron for muscular problems: Saffron is used in curing age-related muscular degeneration. Saffron not only reduces the degeneration process but also helps in healing the damaged cells.
- Saffron for male vitality: Saffron is used to enhancing men’s vitality. Even this magical herb has the ability to provide vigor to older people.
- Saffron for neurological problems: Since ancient times, saffron is used on the forehead because of its neurological benefits.
- Saffron for menses: Zafran is used to controlled blood loss during the menstrual cycle.
- Saffron for arthritis: The ayurvedic physicians prescribed saffron for arthritis patients. It is also good at controlling asthma. Saffron helps to clear breath.
- Saffron for pregnancy: Saffron during pregnancy with milk is good for enhancing pelvic blood flow and reduces the occurrence of cramps, which is common during pregnancy. Drinking of saffron milk helps to stimulate the production of serotonin that control mood swings, tension, stress, and depression among pregnant mother.