Why eating of onion is must for everyday?
I have spent my childhood with my grandparents in the village. I have seen the farmers and laborers hardly fall ill. Might be there are some other reasons. But I had observed them that they are taking onion regularly throughout the years at breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Now, I feel that onions had also protected them from many diseases and disorders. Onions are known as the protector of all diseases because of its numerous health benefits and medicinal uses. Onions are abundant with vitamins, minerals, and other phyto-chemicals. The eating of onion is good for arthritis treatment, regaining consciousness, cures headache, prevents cataract and also known for disinfectant. Besides these, it is an appetizer, treats earache, stomach pain and also effective in case of the common cold. It also acts as anti-viral, anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial and its use gives relieves amoebic dysentery.
12 wonder benefits of eating onion
Onions are known for many potential health benefits viz. cancer prevention, skin and hair health, improving moods, etc. Since the ancient times, it has been known to treat heart disease, headaches, arthritis, and mouth sores. Here, we will also discuss its nutritional facts.
- Reduces the risk of cancer: In many researches, it has been shown that eating of onion helps to prevent stomach and colorectal cancers. As per a study in the Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Oncology wherein it has been found that the eating of onion reduces the risk of cancer up to 80%. Onions also contain antioxidants, organosulphurs, and quercetin, which prevents cancer too.
- Good for skin and hair: The eating of onion helps to build collagen because it contains Vitamin C. The protein collagen is beneficial for skin elasticity and hair health. VitaminC also helps to boost your immunity. Vitamin C is also good for tissue repair and iron absorption.
- Bad cholesterol: The eating of raw onion helps to lowers the production of LDL (bad cholesterol) thereby helps in heart health and its efficiency.
- Cure fever: A mixture of honey and onion helps to cure fever, common cold, and allergies.
- Stop Nose bleeding: The person who is facing nose bleeding can keep onion under the nostril and inhale. It will help to stop nose bleeding.
- Prevent tooth decay: Onion has anti-bacterial properties. The chewing of onion a daily basis helps to kill the oral bacteria and thus prevents tooth infection due to bacteria and also good for gums health.
- Parkinson’s disease: Onion has an adequate amount of phytochemicals, phytonutrients, and antioxidants. These bio-chemicals helps to fight against Parkinson disease.
- Lowers heart disease risk: Recent studies have confirmed that onion contains antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds that decrease triglycerides, reduces cholesterol levels, and reduces high blood pressure. It contains quercetin, which is anti-inflammatory and decreases heart disease risk. The eating of onion is beneficial in reducing cholesterol levels and bad LDL cholesterol.
- Packed with antioxidants: Onions are full of antioxidants like anthocyanin, quercetin, etc. There are about 25 types of antioxidants are present in onion. All these antioxidants help to protect you from dreaded diseases like cancer, diabetes, and heart disease.
- Lowers sugar levels: In many studies, it has been confirmed that eating of onion can lower the levels of sugar in the blood thus beneficial in case of diabetes or prediabetes. Antioxidant quercetin and sulphur compounds have antidiabetic effects.
- Strengthens the bones: Onion enhances bone mineral density and reduces the risk of hip fracture. The eating of onion reduces oxidative stress thereby decreases bone loss and prevent osteoporosis.
- Strong immune system: The important vegetable is full of polyphenols, which act against free radicals. In fact, they eliminate these radicals and help to build the immunity of the body. The presence of quercetin stops your body to produce histamines, which are the culprit of sneezing, running nose, itching, and other allergic reactions.
Nutritional facts of onion
Onion is loaded with vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients. One cup of chopped onion provides the following nutrients. Energy (64cal), carbohydrate (14.9grams), fat (0.16g)m cholesterol (0g), fiber (2.72 g), sugar (6.78g), protein (1.76g). It also contains calcium, iron, folate, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium besides multiple antioxidants.
Top 11 facts about onion
- While cutting or peeling of an onion, one leads to tears. This is because of the presence of isophenylpropide.
- China is the biggest producer of onion worldwide, followed by India and the United States.
- The phyto-chemicals like flavonoids are more concentrated on the upper skins of an onion. So try to peel as minimum as possible to the outer skin of the onion.
- About 105 billion pounds of onions are produced worldwide every year.
- Onions are an excellent source of vitamin C, sulphuric compounds, flavonoids, and phytochemicals.
- Onions are considered as one of the most significant sources of antioxidants in the human diet.
- In the United States, 87% of yellow onions, 8% of red, and 5% of white onions are used.
- According to Guinness Book of World Records, the largest onion ever produced is about 5 kg of weight.
- The leading producers of onions in the United States are Washington, Idaho, and Western Oregon.
- The average American eats about 9 kg of onion every year.
- To avoid the bad breath of onion, chew the citrus fruits peel or rinse your mouth with lemon water.
Side effects of onion
- One shouldn’t eat in excess as it may cause gas and bloating.
- Some people also experience allergies.
- It may increase heartburn if the patient is associated with gastric reflux disease.
- The eating of a large amount of green onion may counteract with blood thinning. These onions have a high amount of vitamin K, which can reduce blood thinning.