How to boost immune system naturally?
There are so many ways through which, one can boost one’s immune system without side effects. But boosting the immune system through natural ways are the best to follow. To make your immunity stronger through home remedies are without side effects and long-lasting. There are some natural ways and means viz. Yoga, diet & foods, Ayurveda, exercise, sound sleep, acupressure, sunbath and laughter therapy are extremely beneficial to boost the immunity of COVID-19 patients. These natural ways not only strengthen your weak immune system but also make you ready to fight against flu and varied infections. Let’s have a glimpse of natural ways that will help you to prevent from falling sick.
10 natural ways to boost your immunity
- Foods: It is said in naturopathy that food is both medicine as well as poison too. It depends upon how are you eating what are you eating?. A person who has a weak immune system, should be hydrated well and extra focus should be given on nutritious foods, which are rich in protein, vitamins, minerals, glucose, fiber, antioxidants and roughage. There are food items like chicken soup, mutton, pulses, citrus fruits including Gooseberry (Amla), garlic, ginger, broccoli, spinach, yogurt, green tea, turmeric and papaya are effective, especially to make the immune system strong thereby prevent you from viral infections including COVID-19. Therefore, it is advisable for these foods in the time of the corona epidemic.
- Yoga: Stress, fear, depression, anxiety and negative emotions are the best culprits to weaken our immune system while Yoga, pranayama (breathing exercises), meditation, mindfulness, positive emotions, and relaxation strengthen it. Yoga plays a pivotal role to overcome such negative health factors thereby helping to boost the immune system. Regular practicing of Yoga includes cleansing techniques (Kriya), Asanas, Pranayama, Dhyana, Yoga Nidra followed by yogic diets which helps to boost our immune system, enhance the functions of the respiratory system which ultimately helps to fight infections, including the COVID-19.
- Healthy lifestyle: A healthy lifestyle reduces the risk of stress and depression thereby enhances the chances of strong immune system. A healthy lifestyle includes achar: healthy physical activities & exercise; vichar: right thoughts and the right attitude towards life that is vital for well-being; Ahar: healthy, nourishing diet with adequate intake of freshwater; balanced intake of fresh food, green salads, sprouts, unrefined cereals & fresh fruits; Vihar: proper recreational activities to relax body and mind are essential for good health and Vyavahar: healthy interpersonal relationships enhancing psycho-social health; all are essential components to give fresh life to the body immunity thus have the ability to combat infections including COVID 19 virus.
- Ayurveda: Ayurveda medicines and formulations are known since ancient times to boost the immune system. There are many ayurvedic components and formulation such as Chyavanprash, herbal tea, golden milk, dry ginger, raisin, cinnamon, Giloy, Ashwgandha, clove, and Triphala are effective to make the immune system strong thereby prevent you from viral infections including COVID-19 virus. The basic concept of Ayurveda for the prevention of viral infections and boosting immunity revolves around the concepts of “Dinacharya” – daily regimes and “Ritucharya” – seasonal regimes to maintain healthy life.
- Exercise: Regular exercise of moderate intensity is good to ward off different diseases and disorders by making your immunity strong. It reduces the risk of infections, flu, etc. including the coronavirus. The recommended means of aerobic exercise is walking, running and brisk walking (though it is not recommended during corona time) on a daily basis for 20 to 30 minutes help to boost your immunity and strengthening the immune system.
- Sleep: There are many researches have been conducted wherein it has been shown that taking sound sleep helps to boost the immunity of the body. On the other hand sleep deprivation affect the immunity of the body and makes one susceptible to common cold, pneumonia and other viral infections.
- Acupressure and acupuncture: These ancient systems of alternative therapies are quite common in China but now spread across the world because of its health efficacy. The application of manual pressure with the thumb or certain roller on a certain point of the body helps to improve immunity and also facilitates respiratory efficiency. People should know how to apply intermittent pressure over acupressure points LI-4, LI11, SP6, TW 5, CV17, ST36.
- Heliotherapy (Sunbath): It is said that sunlight is the remedy of all diseases. If somebody takes a sunbath in the morning on a daily basis for 20-30 minutes, it helps to reduce stress and also good to boost immunity. In the time of coronavirus epidemic, it is especially recommended that one should take sunbath at least for one hour every day.
- Laughter therapy: It is a good exercise for the chest, neck, face and abdomen. It induces sweating and gives relief in Cervical Spondylosis. Overall it is a good exercise as well as a holistic relaxing technique. It is useful in depression, anxiety, Insomnia, Hypertension, Diabetes, Asthma and other respiratory diseases and also stress-induced diseases, etc. Laughing together brings a better social impact of positive attitudes for others. So let’s make a habit of laughing at all the time.
- Hygiene: Hygiene is of utmost importance to ward off infections and diseases and also play an important role, especially among the children and the old age group to strengthen the immunity. It is suggested that in the time of viral or bacterial infections like coronavirus, one should wash one’s hand from time to time for 20 seconds. It is also important to maintain cleanliness around the surroundings. Take extra precautions for washing hands and surrounding before eating foods. It is also important that while coughing, sneezing, using the bathroom, or touching public surfaces, etc. utmost precautionary measures should be taken.
Natural tips to boost your immune system
- Drink plenty of lukewarm warm water, lemon or fresh citrus juices with honey or jaggery
- It is wise to add spices in your daily food (Jeera, turmeric, ajwain, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom etc.).
- It is better to take foods that are low on oils and fats (Dhalia, Idly, Kichidi).
- Take a balanced diet.
- Give much more focus upon high protein diet (Dal Kichidi, boiled legumes, soups, chicken, mutton) and fiber-rich foods, millets, (vegetable soups).
- Take more and more quantity of colored fruits and vegetables.
- Consume Alkaline rich foods.
- It is also suggested to take Zinc and Selenium rich foods- Oats, spinach, beans, milk, cheese, pumpkin seeds, cashews, etc.
- Drink at least one glass of Yogurt/day (probiotics) to improve gut flora.
Foods and diet that weaken your immune system
- It is better and wise to skip cold beverages, canned juices, and aerated drinks and coffee.
- The use of refined sugars also not recommended.
- Avoid confectionery and bakery products.
- It is not advisable to take sweets, chocolates, ice creams.
- Avoid snacking on oily and junk foods
- Reduce salt intake
- Reduce the amount of trans- and omega-6 fatty acids in the diet (Vegetable oils)
- Food in eateries
- Smoking and alcohol