Why Unani medicine for immunity (Quwat-e- Mudafe’at)
Unani system of medicine is Herbo-animo- mineral in origin with a rich storehouse of principles and philosophies of medicine. A larger population of the world relies upon Unani medicines and drugs for health care. In fact, Unani drugs have been used for a long time for the betterment of mankind and are serving to cure different ailments. The use of Unani medicines and drugs helps the body to protect the host from invading pathogens. It also helps the body to neutralize and eliminate the pathogenic micro-organism & their toxic products, thus providing protection to the individual. These Unani medicines are also helpful to enhance the body’s immunity and enable the body’s resistance power more efficient to prevent the body from various kinds of infections and immunodeficiency diseases.
Weak immune system responsible for
- Infectious diseases.
Unani medicine and immunity
In the Unani system of medicine, much more emphasis is given to strengthen the immunity of the patient to fight against viruses and bacterial infectious diseases. Immunostimulant drugs were used widely by great Unani physicians like Hippocrates (460-377 B.C.), Galen (131-201 A.D.), Rhazes (850-925 A.D.), Avicenna (980-1037 A.D.), and Ibu Baitar as an immunity booster of the body.
Unani medicine benefits for immunity
- The use of Unani medicine recovers the patients in a powerful way and ensures a greater resistance for future infection.
- These drugs help to enhance the immunological responsiveness of an individual by interfering with its regulatory mechanism.
- Unani medicine ensures to eliminate the infectious agent.
- The use of these drugs causes the least side effects.
- Unani medicine not only neutralizes the infection, in fact, but it also enhances the natural resistance of the body.
- Unani drugs are also known for anti-inflammation, anti-stress and anti-cancer thereby contribute in strengthening the immune system
10 Unani medicines for stronger immunity
- Asgand (Withania somnifera L.): This Unani medicine is useful to enhance the immunity of the body naturally. The main biochemical constituents of Asgard responsible for increasing antibody titer are steroidal Lactones (Withanolides), polysaccharides, lectins, proteins, and peptides, which work wonder to boost immunity.
- Aloe vera: It has been confirmed through research that the use of aloe vera extract at the dose of 100 mg/kg helps to produce a stimulatory effect on the body.
- Fowah (Rubia cordifolia L.): A research has been conducted wherein it has been shown that the administration of ethanolic extracts of the leaves of fowah resulted in enhanced immune responses. It also helps to increase the counts of WBC and RBC cells.
- Kalonji (Nigella sativa): This is an excellent Unani medicine and formulation for boosting your immune system due to the presence of phytochemical substances like constituent’s thymoquinone, nigellone, and d-limonene. The use of the seeds is reported to increase the phagocytic activity by stimulating the immune cells and increase the activity of immune potential.
- Gudhal (Hibiscus Rosa sinensis L.): Gudhal contains many biochemical substances viz. cyanidin, quercetin, flavonoids, hentriacontane, thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, and ascorbic acid. The presence of these antioxidants has significant immunostimulatory action on the immune system.
- Haldi (Curcuma longa): Turmeric is quite effective to increase the immunity of the body. Even, it has been recommended widely by the AYUSH ministry to use it more and more during coronavirus conditions so that the immunity of the person can be enhanced to protect against infections. The presence of Curcumin in turmeric helps to produce the monocyte colony-stimulating factor or granulocyte monocyte stimulating factor.
- Neem (Azadirachta indica): Neem has full of medicinal values. People are using it for a long time without knowing the numerous benefits of this marvel plant. Through many studies, it has been confirmed, that the use of neem flowers helps to enhance the immunity of the body. The aqueous extract of Neem flowers is a potential immunostimulant against cytotoxic drugs and can be used as an immune booster supplement.
- Bargad (Ficu benghalensis L.): It has been found that the use of aerial shoots of ficus bneghalensis showed a significant increase in percentage phagocytosis. It has also contained many biochemical substances such as flavonoids, phenolics, steroids, glycosides, carbohydrates, and proteins, which act as natural immune booster injection.
- Musli Safed (Chlorophytum borivilianum): The crude C. borivilianum extract as well as the polysaccharide help to enhance the antibody.
- Satavar (Asparagus recemosus wild.): Studies have shown that the oral administration of aqueous extract of Satavar with or without milk resulted in a significant increase in percent phagocytosis, proliferation of lymphocytes, reduced glutathione content, and decreased lipid peroxidation. The Unani herb also contains antioxidant vitamins, saponins, glycosides, polyphenol, and flavonoids, which are effective to boost and strengthen the weakened immune system of the body.
Unani medicine (single drug) for immunity
There are many Unani herbs, which can be used as a single drug to naturally boost immunity and protect patients from viruses and bacteria. In fact, these are the home remedies, which increases your immunity. The name of such drugs is Amla (Emblica Officinalis Linn.), Aam (Mangifera indica Linn.), Aloe vera, Gurhal (Hibbiscus rosa Sinensis), Anar ( Punica granatum Linn.), Maveez ( Vitis vinifera Linn.), Papita (Carica papaya Linn.), Raihan (Ocimum sanctum Linn.), Unnab (Zizyphus vulgaris L.), Zafran (Crocus sativus Linn.), Tulsi (Ocimum sanctum Linn.), Neelofer (Nelumbo nucifera Gaertn.), Kutki (Picrorrhiza kurroa Royle ex Benth.), Aslus-soos (Glycyrrhiza glabra Linn.), etc.
Compounds unani medicines for immunity
- Khamira Abresham Hakim Arshad Wala
- Khamira Gaozaban
- Khamira Marwareed
- Jawarish Shahi
- Laboob Kabeer
- Majoon muqawwi
- Majoon Aarad khurma
- Maa-ul- laham