Definition of Naturopathy
Naturopathy is one of the important drugless disciplines of an alternative system of medicine. Naturopathy doesn’t use medicines. In Naturopathy, Food is Medicine and considered nature as the greatest healer.
In naturopathy, diseases are treated from a holistic point of view as it is absent in other components of alternative medicine, where specific treatments are more common. Naturopathy has great health promotive, disease preventive, curative as well as preventive potential. Our diet should comprise 20 per cent of acidic and 80 per cent of alkaline foods for maintaining good health.
Naturopathy medicine information
- The most vital difference between Naturopathy and with other systems is that Naturopathy’s practices are based on the holistic dimension (the totality of factors responsible for the diseases) while other systems follow a specific approach.
- According to Naturopathy, the cause of all diseases are one-morbid matter, elimination of morbid matter from the body is the treatment.
- The primary factor of the disease is not the bacteria or viruses, but the morbid matter. Bacteria and viruses are secondary factors.
- Naturopathy doesn’t use medicines. According to Naturopathy, Food is Medicine. In Naturopathy, the patient has treated not the disease.
- Naturopathy treats the body as a whole instead of giving treatment to each organ separately.
- Acute diseases are the self-healing effort of the body. Hence they are our friends, not the enemy. Chronic diseases are the outcome of wrong treatment and suppression of acute diseases.
- Naturopathy treats physical, mental, social and spiritual, all the four aspects at the same time.
- Nature is the greatest healer. Body has the capacity to prevent itself from disease and regain health if unhealthy.
- The Naturopath helps in nature’s effort to overcome disease by applying correct natural modalities and controlling the natural forces to work within the safe limits.
- All diseases, their causes and treatment are one.
Naturopathy remedies through diet
In Naturopathy, Diet is one of the vital components of managing diseases. Food rich in vitamin–B complex and Vitamin C helps the body bounce back from stressful situations. Carbohydrates contain neurotransmitter serotonin produces a soothing effect and increases a sense of well-being. According to naturopathy, all the foods should be taken in fresh forms. Naturopathic Diets are divided into three parts.
Eliminative Diet: Juices and soups come under eliminative diet. The example of eliminative diets is lemon juice, citric fruits, tender coconut water, vegetable soups, buttermilk and wheat grass juices.
Soothing Diet: The best example of soothing diet is fruits, salads, steamed vegetables, sprouts, vegetable chutney, etc.
Constructive Diet: Diets such as wholesome flour, unpolished rice, little pulses, sprouts, curds, etc come under this group.
Fasting means abstinence from food. As per naturopathy, initially, one should take small duration fast and gradually, increases its time spell. One should breakfast through juice, vegetable juice, soups, and fruits. But the best and the safest way of fasting is the line juice fasting. Before fasting, the bowel should be emptying completely. Fasting helps to excrete accumulated poisons, toxins and waste materials. Dead cells are removed and new cells formation is speeded up. Fasting provides rest to the different organs of the body, especially the digestive and assimilative one. Fasting is good in treating disorders like indigestion, constipation, gas formation, obesity, asthma, high blood pressure, and digestive disorders. Rest is advised during fasting.
Mud therapy medicine for headache
Mud therapy is one of the important treatment modalities. The mud used in mud therapy is from 3 to 4 ft depth of the ground without any contamination. Mud pack local application has many health benefits. Mud provides cooling when applied over the body due to moisture retention. When mud applied to the abdomen, eases to indigestion. Headache can be lower down by mud pack to head. Application of mudpack over the eyes is useful in cases like conjunctivitis, eyeball haemorrhages, itching, allergy, and errors of refraction like short slight and long slight and especially useful in glaucoma where it helps to reduce eyeball tension. Mud to face improves skin complexion, removes pimples and open pores. The effects of mud are refreshing, invigorating and vitalizing. Before applying mud, it should be dried, powdered and sieved so to remove the unwanted particles.
Hydrotherapy: water as medicine
Hydrotherapy means treatment of diseases through water. Water forms-solid, liquid, vapour, and steam are used to manage diseases and disorders. Water as a healing agent opens up the pores and makes the body light and fresh. Hydrotherapy enhances blood circulation. Drinking of water helps in the elimination of uric acid, urea, salts, excessive sugar, and many other blood and food chemicals that are waste products. Colon Hydrotherapy is greatly used to de-toxify and flushing out the faecal matter from the colon. Colon Hydrotherapy helps in washing out the faecal matter, bacteria, undigested food, and other waste products from the alimentary clean.
Massage good for joint pain
Massage is one of the important treatment modalities used to improve blood circulation, provides strength to body organs, Massaging with oil is very useful and has therapeutic benefits. The oils that are generally used in massage are mustard oil, sesame oil, coconut oil, olive oil and aroma oil. Massage exercises movements like touch, stroking, friction, kneading, vibration, percussion and joint movements. When massage is performed with electric massager, it is called Vibro massage. The process of massaging activates the entire body organs. It is beneficial in high and low blood pressure, joint disorders, paralysis, depression, weakness, indigestion and obesity.
Naturopathy disease information
Naturopathy with the help of some diagnostic tools enables the naturopathy physicians to know or recognised diseases. One of the methods is Iris-Diagnostic where iris of the eye is analysed. Iris is the centre to tell the nature of various body parts. The right side is represented on the left iris and vice-versa. Changes in iris constitution colour and the markings can get explanations of diseases. Facial Diagnosis, which account the form of the body, the carriage, colour and the movements help the physicians to diagnosis physical appearance, presence of toxins and other impurities and waste products in the body that indirectly gives an idea about diseases.
List of 23 naturopathy treatments
- Mud pack, Mud Application, Mud bath
- Hip Bath
- Spinal bath, Spinal Spray bath
- Immersion Bath, Friction bath
- Footbath, Arm bath
- Steam bath
- Sauna Bath
- Sun Bath,
- Green Leaves Sun Bath
- Hot and Cold Fomentation
- Wet Sheet pack, Chest pack, Abdomen Pack, Trunk Pack
- Knee Pack, Neck Pack, Wet Girdle pack
- Enema-Warm Water, Buttermilk, tender coconut water,
- Circular Jet Bath
- Colon Irrigation
- Deluxe hydro massage
- Hot and Cold water Douches, Effusion
- Whirlpool Bath
- Magnet Therapy
- Colour Therapy
- Physiotherapy Treatments-Exercise Therapy, Electro-Therapy