Hastottanasana is consisted of two words: Hasta means ‘Arms’ and Uttana means ‘Stretched up’. In this yoga pose, the arms are stretched upwards followed by side bending, therefore, it is also known as Up-stretched arms posture. Here, the easy steps of doing hastottanasana have been described. The asana has many health benefits from toes and head. However, it is also associated with some precautions, which should be taken care of while practicing the pose.
How to do hastottanasana step by step
The five simple and easy ways of doing this yoga pose is given here. Following these technique, anyone can practice it at home.
- Stand in Tadasana
- Inhale and raise arms over the head. Interlock the fingers.
- Exhaling, bend to left side from the waist.
- Maintain the position as long as you can. Come back to Tadasana.
- Do this 2-3 times or as per your convenience.
10 best health benefits of hastottanasana
- Yoga for height: This is one of the effective yoga poses to increase height as it gives suitable stretch from toes to fingers. Therefore, it should be practiced by those who are desire to increase height.
- Back pain: It gives appropriate stretch to the muscles, especially the finer muscles of the back. The regular practice of this yoga is good to overcome back pain.
- Spinal health: It is beneficial for spinal health. After focusing on the alignment of the body and spine, it helps to improve the curvature of the spine.
- Weight loss: It is known as yoga for waist slim, yoga to remove fats from hips and buttocks due to adequate stretch in these regions.
- Asthma control: It provides stretch to the chest region, thus, helps to increase the intake capacity of lungs. All these ensure for betterment of lungs health and give relief from asthma too.
- Constipation relieve: It ensures proper movement to the alimentary canal, especially the stomach, intestine and large intestines, which result in relieving of constipation.
- Abdominal sides’ fat: This is one of the best yoga poses to burn the fats from abdominal sides because of experiencing extra stretching in these areas.
- Nerves health: Practicing the yoga pose on regular basis will facilitate stretching from toes to fingers. If it is maintained with breathing, can show its impact upon efficiency of nerves.
- Strengthening of legs: The asana is good for the health of toes, feet, ankles, knees, buttocks, etc.
- Sciatica:If it is practiced under the supervision of yoga expert, sciatica pain can be reduced drastically.
Some of the contradictions of hastottanasana are being given below:
- Pregnancy: The asana should be avoided during pregnancy.
- Legs pain: The patient suffering from legs pain should skip in performing the yoga pose.
- Dizziness: In case of dizziness, it should not perform.
- Varicose vein: A person suffering from varicose vein should take the help of a yoga expert.
- Headache: Don’t perform during headache.
- Insomnia: During insomnia, yoga therapist should be consulted before practicing of the yoga pose.
Hastottanasana beginner’s tip
Though, it’s an easy and simple yogasana to practice. However, to get perfection in the yoga pose, it requires practice and concentration. Initially, it is not easy to stand erect with feet together therefore have a distance between your feet and gradually minimize the distance. Those who are practice it for the first time, can take the support of wall. Do it for few seconds and gradually increases the duration of the pose.
Preparatory pose of hastottanasana (Yoga should be done before hastottanasana )
Follow up pose of hastottanasana (Yoga should be done after hastottanasana)