What is the meaning of Yastikasana?
The stick pose consists of two Sanskrit words Yastik and Asana. The meaning of Yastik means stick and Asana are indicating a yoga posture. It is one of the important preparatory yoga poses to be practiced before performing the advanced yoga postures in supine (laying on back) and prone (laying on stomach) conditions. It gives stretching to the entire body thus good for stability and strength. Therapeutically, it is effective to relax the tense abdominal muscles, pelvic muscles, and overall provides relaxation to the body. It can also be practiced to tone the body as well as for weight loss. It toned up the entire nervous system and also stretches the muscles and joints of the body. It is beneficial in combating fatigue and stress. Here, we will discuss its easy steps to practice, health benefits and the precautions associated with it. Please Read: Best yoga to fight stress
Breathing in stick pose
The breathing mechanism is important for all yoga postures; the same case happens with Yastikasana also. With inhale stretch your body and feel the stretching from toes to finger. Maintain the pose with slow inhaling and exhaling. Come to the original position with a deep exhale.
How to do stick yoga pose step by step
How to do stick yoga technically right is utmost important to extract the maximum of its benefits. The different steps in doing of stick pose are being enumerated below.
- Lie down in a supine position (straight on the mat).
- Extend your arms beyond your head and legs are straight and stretched (outstretched).
- Ensure, there should be the least gap between your legs and arms.
- Inhale and feel the stretching from toes to fingers.
- Maintain the pose as long as you can.
- Exhale and come to the original position and have relax.
- Perform it 3 to 5 times.
Stick yoga pose for weight loss
The regular practice of stick pose will be helpful in losing extra fats from the body. It is one of the few yoga poses that can burn fats from toes to fingers as it gives suitable stretching to the entire body. It helps to give slim look and toned shape to your body if practice on regular basis. It will give better results if performed under the supervision of a yoga expert or therapist. Also read: wonder yoga for weight loss
Stick yoga pose for height increase
Practicing stick yoga poses can be helpful to increase height up to a certain limit. Yastikasna gives suitable stretching to the entire body from toes to fingers and can be practiced to increase the height of the growing children. Since, it gives maximum stretching to the body, thus can be included in the yoga regime for height increment. Please read: Best yoga for height increase
11 Health benefits of stick pose
Yastikasana has many advantages. Some of the few health benefits of this stretching yoga pose are given below:
- It can be practiced to burn fat, this will be helpful for those who are longing for weight loss, burning of belly fat, stomach flat and obesity.
- It can be performed for pain management in the body and helps to ease joints pain.
- It can be also used to increase the height of growing children.
- Since it’s a stick asana; therefore, it has the ability to make the body as flexible as a bamboo stick.
- It provides adequate stretch to the spine.
- One can feel proper stretching in arms and thighs.
- It is also good for those who have tennis elbow.
- It can be practiced by those who have knee problems.
- It is helpful in de-stressing.
- It gives relaxation to abdominal and pelvic muscles and provides overall relaxation to the body.
Stick pose contraindications
The various contraindication cautions and side effects of stick pose yoga are
- Avoid this asana, if you have chronic back pain.
- In case of high blood pressure and cardiac condition, avoid this asana.
- A person with spinal injuries should perform with due care.
- Avoid during kyphosis.
Stick pose precautions
- While practicing the pose, one should ensure the surface where one practicing should be straight flat.
- Feel evenly stretching from toes to fingers.
- While maintaining the pose, focus on breathing. It should be deep and slow one.
- While performing the pose, do maximum stretching forward from your fingers and also maximum stretching from toes downward.