Asthma is a universal chronic airway inflammatory disease of the air passage characterized by recurring symptoms, excessive air sensitiveness, and airflow obstruction. Wheezing, prolonged expiration, and fast heart rate are some of the common features. The asthmatic attack generally gets exaggerated in the morning and night. The person may turn blue in severe condition. About 2.5 lakh people die every year due to this disease. The disease can be managed, controlled, and cure by alternative medicine like Yoga, Naturopathy, Ayurveda, Homeopathy, and Unani. Diet regulation, home remedy, prevention, and precautions, proper exercise are some of the natural treatments and natural remedies that play a vital role in the treatment of the condition.
Symptoms of asthma
- Shortness of breath
- Breathlessness at the time of the attack
- Wheezing, a hissing sound at exhalation (breathe out)
- Chest tightness and pain
- Distended abdomen
- Suffered from severe anxiety
- Itchiness to throat and chin
- Frequent cough at night
- Uneasy in body and increase in palpitation
- Mucus production
- Tiredness after exercise and enhance pulse movement
- Sign of cold like sneezing, nasal congestion, and sore throat are common, and some comfort during sitting
- Sleeping disorder
- Recurrent coughing
- The lower part of the eyes may be darkening
- Difficult in speaking
- Moodiness, Headache, running nose, etc.
- Sweating is also common
- May difficult in hearing
Causes of asthma
- Allergy due to natural tendency/ airborne allergens (house dust, cockroaches) and irritants (tobacco smoke) trigger it.
- Childhood respiratory infection
- Environmental and biologic triggers like infections, dietary patterns, hormonal changes in women, etc.
- Hypersensitivity from allergens like molds, animal dander, grass, pollens, hair, lint, and grains.
- Some drugs and medications are also responsible for it. Ex. aspirin and nonsteroidal drugs.
- Fluctuation/Change in weather.
- Digestive disorders
- Affliction in the gastrointestinal tract
Complications of asthma
- Lower the standard and quality of life
- About 80% to 90% of have sleeping disorders
- Blocking of the bronchial tube
- Severe asthma in pregnant women leads to hypertension, gestational diabetes, and hemorrhage problems
- Underweight and breathing problems with babies
- Heart disease
- Leaking of air from lungs
- Skin bruising, osteoporosis, and skin dystrophy
- Severe coughing may lead to a shortage of breath that needs an inhaler
- Asthmaticus-failed to respond to asthma treatment
- Blocking and narrowing of the bronchial tubes
- Side effects from powerful drugs
- Reduces daily life work
- School absenteeism due to severity of the disease
- Home custody for adults
Risk factors of asthma
A large number of people are suffering from Bronchial Asthma both in the developing and developed hemisphere. The condition is becoming chronic in developing countries due to ignorance and low-level of awareness.
- Hereditary factor-chances increase when immediate blood relatives have the condition.
- Suffering from obesity
- Being a smoker
- Being a passive smoker
- Pregnant mother addicted to smoke
- Pollutants, mites & molds, dust, aspirin, pollen grain, etc.
- The certain chemical used in farming and manufacturing
- Kids born with a below-average weight
- Kids respiratory infection
- heart and lungs congestion, pneumonia, tuberculosis, lung cancer, and cystic fibrosis
- Children age group 2-16 are more vulnerable
- The wheezing tendency of infant flare-up asthmatic symptoms.
- Psychological factors like despair, depression, separation, problems in interpersonal relationships are too induced it.
Tests and diagnosis of asthma
- Bronchial provocation test
- Pulmonary Function test diagnose it and its severity too
- Bone Density Test
- CT Scan
- Bone Scan
- Spirometry diagnosis measures inhalation and exhalation
- Bronchoscopy examine the sensitiveness of airways
- Chest X-ray is done to observe chronic inflammation caused result in fibrous tissue
- Sweet Test to know about cystic fibrosis
- Skin Test is used to know allergens easily
- Allergy Test: to find out the relevant allergens
7 Best tips to cure asthma
Here are the descriptions of 7 surprising steps are being. Out of which, any treatment can be used to manage asthma.
1. Yoga for asthma cure
According to Yoga, the main cause of Asthma is digestive disorders and allergens. Food if not digested properly, produces toxic juices in the system and causes obstructions in the respiratory tract resulting in a state of breathlessness. Yoga has in-depth potential to prevent such attacks without using drugs. Here, some of the best yoga information on the condition and bronchitis treatment is giving.
- Sirsasana (the headstand pose): The lungs gain the power to resist any situation and stand up to any work, which may relieve one from cough and tonsillitis.
- Sarvangasana (shoulder stand pose): Sarvangasana improves respiration and helps in treating bronchial problems.
- Utthanasana (the squat and rise pose): Utthanasana helps to empty impurity from the lungs and gives the feeling of supercharge of energy.
- Paschimottanasana (the fierce or powerful pose): Paschimottanasna improves the efficiency of spinal nerves and has beneficial repercussions throughout the body.
- Dhanurasana ( the bow pose) stretches the chest and puts suitable pressure for the expansion of the lungs as well as alveoli thereby increases the intake capacity of the bronchial.
- Bhujangasana (the cobra pose): Bhujangasana expands the chest more than usual, thus helps to improve breathing and lungs capacity.
- Salabhasana (the locusts pose): Salabhasana improves the functions of the lungs.
- Urdhva Mukha Sanasana helps to chest expansion thereby increases lung elasticity.
- Virasana( the hero’s pose) is good for asthmatic patients.
- Uttan Padasana( the raised foot pose) Uttanpadasana gives full expansion to the chest wall and keep the bronchial healthy.
- Ardha Matsyendrasana (the half spinal twist pose): It is one of the important asanas for the proper functioning of the lungs thereby helps in controlling the condition.
- Kriyas like Jala neti and Suta neti control sneezing though reducing the sensitiveness of the nasal path.
- Backward bending and forward bending postures help in exhaling and inhaling respectively.
- Pranayama keeps the lungs healthy due to the free flow of fresh air into the air alveoli and bronchial.
- Kapalbhati (frontal brain bellowing) this yoga pose is useful in making respiratory muscles stronger and improves the general tone of the muscles.
- Bhastrika Pranayama(the bellow Pranayama): It opens up the air cells of the lungs.
- Surya Bheda Pranayama( the psychic supercharger) is too useful for it.
- Uddiyana Bandha and Agnisara are beneficial for bronchial problems.
- Kunjal (vomiting) is prescribed with saline lukewarm water if the person facing chronic coughs. It removes excess cough instantaneously.
- Meditation relieves asthma.
2. Ayurveda for asthma treatment
Due to modern faulty lifestyle, uncontrolled pollution, and rapid industrialization, allergy, allergens, bronchial asthma has become common among children, adult,s and aged people. Ayurvedic herbal supplements, natural remedies, and dietary treatments are good for the disorder. This disease comes in the paroxysm of dyspnoea and during the attack; the patient goes in extreme agony, perceives darkness, feels thirst, and becomes motionless. On account of frequent coughing and expectorant, the patient faints and remains in extreme distress till phlegm is coughed out.
- To strengthen the lungs, mix some cloves with peel banana and take the same product with honey after leaving it overnight. This a good herbal remedy for bronchitis.
- Herbal medication like the juice of the whole plant of yellow berried night shade-7 to 14 ml. may be taken twice a day to relieve and ease from the condition.
- Herbal tea made up of Trchyspermum, (Ajwain), Ocimum sanctum (Tulsi), pepper, and ginger is a useful natural expectorant for it.
- Panchakarma is very useful for asthmatic patients.
- Vasa, an Indian herb, controls bronchitis, a boon, and known for cough remedy.
- Turmeric, a bronchial herb, is highly useful for the chronic condition.
- Glycyrrhiza glabra (Yashtimadhu), soothe the trachea and prevent airways obstruction.
- Herbs like albezia lebbeck, clove is useful for bronchitis.
- For a natural cure of the condition and to get some relief, rub brown mustard oil on the chest.
- To minimize congestion and reduce breathlessness, drink some pepper + 1 teaspoon honey + little onion juice. It is one of the natural Ayurveda remedies.
- More intake of fluid should be taken if one suffered from dryness of it.
- Massage with sesame oil on the chest is a very useful alternative treatment.
- To reduce asthmatic trigger, grind 2-3 grams of nagar and Bharangi, take this medicine mixture thrice a day with lukewarm water.
- To ease the severity of bronchitis, take a mixture of Sitopladi Churna + liquorices+ borax powder and honey, thrice a day.
- Herbs like Elecompane, Mullein, Thyme, Black Pepper, Flax seed, Ginger, Manna, Myrrh also used for the treatment of it.
- The seed of Celery is used in the treatment of it.
- A solution of Ephedra provides relief to asthma attacks by clearing the congestion of the respiratory tract.
- Chewing of the fruit chebulic myroblan at night allay asthmatic attack.
- Arjuna bark is helpful in treating it.
- Powdered bayberry bark an effective remedy for bronchial patients.
- Euphorbia facilitates easy breathing.
- Aniseed has expectorant characters so helpful for asthma patients.
- Gum of Asafetida + Honey is useful for the patients.
- Trachyspermum ammi has expectorant properties and eases chronic phlegm.
- Garlic reduces asthmatic severity.
- Ginger can be used for bronchial asthma for its expectorant properties.
3. Homeopathy medicine for asthma
Homeopathy treatment shows a positive result for bronchial asthma and it is safe in the case of children who are suffering from this condition. Homeopathic remedy reduces asthma medication (steroids) in children. In the case of the tolerance factor, homeopathy is well enough to fight against allergens like pollen grain, dust, pollutants, etc. Some of the homeopathy treatments and homeopathy remedies are given below
- Treatment with Antimonium tartaricum is useful for children who face severe cough.
- Arsenicum album is given to a person who is suffering from the cyclic nature of cough. Perennial thrust, restiveness, and anxiety are associated with it.
- Blatta Orientalis- given in case of severity.
- Ipecac- takes it during chronic cough.
- Kali Carbonicum is useful homeopathic medicine in case of an aggravated condition.
- Phosporus-Good remedy for breathlessness.
- Spongia tosta- an effective remedy for dry coughs, especially with children and reduces the role of inhalers where harmful chemicals like steroids are used.
- Pulsetila facilitates breathing and helpful in preventing suffocation and asthma attack.
- Carbo vegetable relieves chest congestion and spasmodic asthmas and a bronchodialator.
- Kali bic is helpful when one experiences no air in the chest.
- Natrum mur treats aggravated problems.
- Antimonium tartaricum is given when the patient feels crackling sounds in the chest.
- Spongia tosta is prescribed for rattling asthma.
- Chamomilla may be used when during dry and hard cough.
- Nux vomica is recommended when the chest is congested.
- Asthmatic homeopathic common medicines used for the disease are Lachesis, sulphur, ignatia, hepar-sulph and tuberculinum.
- Note: One should take professionals/Doctors/Experts advice before taking these medicines.
4. Naturopathy for asthma control
Asthma is an allergic condition and the most troublesome respiratory disease. Patients suffering from the condition appear to be gasping for breath. Modern medical science has not been able to find a cure for this crippling disease. Drugs and vaccines have only limited value. The following nature cure treatments are suggested to prevent, control, and cure asthma, asthmatics, and bronchitis.
- The patient should be given an enema to clean the colon and prevent auto-intoxication.
- Mud pack applied to the abdomen will relieve the fermentation caused by undigested food and will promote intestinal peristalsis.
- The wet pack on the chest relieves congestion of the lungs and strengthens the alveoli.
- Hip bath, Hot Footbath, and Chest pack, all stimulate the skin and relieve the congested lungs.
- A hotfoot bath is quite beneficial.
- Fasting with lemon juice and honey, thereby switch to fruit juice nourish the system and eliminate toxin.
- It is better to have dinner before sunrise and should be light in nature.
- Use warm drinking water before, after, and during the meal.
- 1/2 tsp bishop’s weed + buttermilk twice a day an effective remedy for the case.
- Gooseberry + Honey provides instant relief.
- Karela root + Honey acts as an expectorant.
- Figs provide comfort by draining off the phlegm.
- Indian gooseberry + honey, a useful product for the treatment of the ailment.
- Dry seeds of safflower+ honey are helpful in the treatment of bronchial problems.
- Inhaling of honey makes breathing easier as it contains alcohol and ethereal oil.
- Early stages of asthma can be cured by giving boil garlic along with milk.
- Ginger tea with garlic cloves keeps the symptoms under control.
- 1 tsp of turmeric powder with 1 glass of milk is an effective remedy.
- Massage of mustard oil with camphor at the back of the chest loosen phlegm and ease breathing.
- Inhaling the steam of boil water and caraway seeds dilate the bronchial passage.
5. Home remedies for asthma relief
Millions of people are suffering from asthma, bronchial asthma, and bronchitis. Home remedies have the capability of such attacks and reduce the symptoms like wheezing, coughing, sneezing, and breathlessness. Here are given some home remedies that can be tried at home safely without any complications.
- Lemon juice is a good natural remedy.
- A combination of Bitter gourd root + Honey + Tulsi leaves brings unique results to the patients. It is one of the best home remedies for such patients.
- Boil drumstick leaves + Salt+ Pepper + Lime juice, an effective herbal remedy for the condition.
- Taking and inhaling honey is one of the widespread treatments for the case.
- Inhalation of eucalyptus oils opens up airways.
- Ginger juice + Methi + honey, a very effective home remedy for the chronic condition.
- Juices of carrot and spinach provide relief.
- Onion + honey + some black pepper provide relief from congestion and ease breathlessness.
- Garlic+ milk is a beneficial remedy.
- Honey + warm water takes out phlegm from the throat and used for treatment purposes.
- Massage of mustard oil and camphor over the chest provides relief in breathing.
- Take the steam of carom ajwain to get respite.
- Use basil + honey every morning to keep away from the condition.
- Chew basil leaves + salt for natural treatment to cure it.
- Use roasted gram and milk at night to free flow of airways.
- Turmeric (grind) + honey is unique for it.
- Chewing of black pepper at night is also good.
- Lemon juice + ginger once a day is fine with the condition.
- Chewing Chebulic Myroblan gives reprieve from asthmatic attacks.
6. Diet for Asthma
Chew your food properly and eat slowly with a relaxed mind. To avoid over-fullness on the chest, always eat less than your capacity and avoid an imbalanced diet. If diet changes as per complementary and alternative medicine, there is a greater chance to bring relief in asthma. One should take diet as per COPD guidelines. Children are also at greater risk of the condition because some foods are the biggest trigger of asthma attacks among children. Children with obesity are prone to it, so diet, weight loss regime, and fitness is a must here to reduce cholesterol.
- Green leafy vegetables, fresh fruits, and herbs are quite effective for the condition due to its antioxidant features.
- Onion contains ‘quercetin’, an anti-inflammatory compound, and considered the most effective remedy.
- Hot pungent may make breathing easier by opening air passages.
- Citrus fruits due to its greater content of Vitamin C have inherent power to fight it.
- A predominately vegetarian diet is a good option for patients.
- Foods rich in Vitamin A play a vital role in curing it.
- The oxygen-carrying capacity of blood increases owing to the antioxidant property of Vitamin E.
- Essential fatty acids, particularly omega-3 oils reduce inflammation and alleviate attacks.
- The therapeutic aspects of Tulsi can’t be ignored.
- Flavonoids of apples reduce inflammation.
- Nasal acuteness can be minimized by taking turmeric along with honey.
- Eating ginger and black pepper is advisable.
- Take more and more lukewarm water.
- An asthmatic diet should contain a limited quantity of carbohydrates, protein, and fats. He should also take more and more quantity of alkaline foods like fresh fruits, green vegetables, and Bengal gram.
Foods not for asthma
- Avoid sugar, rice, pickles, ice cream, cold drinks, curds, etc. as all those help in phlegm formation.
- Spicy and pungent foods should also be avoided.
- Foods like cider, wine, beer, and cheese may provoke an asthma attack.
- Allergen foods that are responsible for it are meat, eggs, fish, shellfish, milk, chocolate, food preservatives, etc.
7. Asthma prevention and precautions
There are so many ways to control and prevent asthma. First of all, your surroundings should be neat and clean. It is a wise decision to keep himself away from asthmatic triggers like pollutants, dust, smoke, medications, pollen, etc. Foods such as rice, sugar, lentils, and fried ones should be skipped as these items help to form phlegm.
- Bronchitis patients should always eat less than their capacity.
- Keep away from cold and damp places.
- Eat slowly and chew your food properly.
- Give much more thrust on Yoga.
- Avoid dusty places.
- Keep yourself away from mental worries and stress.
- Pranayama should be in your everyday routine.
- Take 10-12 glasses of water daily but not along with meals.
- Walking, especially a brisk walk should be preferred.
- Spices, pickles, tea, and coffee should be avoided.
- During an asthmatic attack, the taking of warm water is preferred.
- Excessive eating should be avoided.
- Take light dinner.
- Avoid Tobacco, alcohol, Gutka, Pan Masal, etc.
- Smoking invites severity, acuteness, and chronicity.
- Air conditioners and coolers are also harmful.
- Evade perfumes, repellents, deodorants, aftershave, and air fresheners.
- Don’t drink cold water.
- Do moderate exercise.
- Avoid overindulgence in sex.
- The bedroom should be free from allergens.
- Wash your mattresses regularly.
- Avoid cleaning the house with the broom.
- Do swim to ease your chest.
- Cold and heavy meals should be avoided.