Asthma is a universal chronic airway inflammatory disease of the air passage characterized by recurring symptoms, excessive air sensitiveness and airflow obstruction. Wheezing, prolonged expiration and fast heart rate are some of the common features. Asthmatic attack generally gets exaggerated in the morning and night. The person may turn blue at severe condition. About 2.5 lakh people die every year due to this disease. The disease can be managed, controlled and cure by alternative medicine like Yoga, Naturopathy, Ayurveda, Homeopathy and Unani. Diet regulation, home remedy, preventions and precautions, proper exercise are some of the natural treatments and natural remedy that play vital role in the treatment of the condition.
Symptoms of asthma
- Shortness of breath
- Breathlessness at the time of attack
- Wheezing, a hissing sound at exhalation (breathe out)
- Chest tightness and pain
- Distended abdomen
- Suffered with severe anxiety
- Itchiness to throat and chin
- Frequent cough at night
- Uneasy in body and increase in palpitation
- Mucus production
- Tiredness after exercise and enhance pulse movement
- Sign of cold like sneezing, nasal congestion and sore throat are common, and some comfort during sitting
- Sleeping disorder
- Recurrent coughing
- Lower part of eyes may be darkening
- Difficult in speaking
- Moodiness, Headache, running nose, etc.
- Sweating is also common
- May difficult in hearing
Causes of asthma
- Allergy due to natural tendency/ airborne allergens (house dust, cockroaches) and irritants (tobacco smoke) trigger it.
- Childhood respiratory infection
- Environmental and biologic triggers like infections, dietary patterns, hormonal changes in women etc.
- Hypersensitivity from allergens like molds, animal dander, grass, pollens, hair, lint and grains.
- Some drugs and medications are also responsible for it. Ex. aspirin and non steroidal drugs.
- Fluctuation/Change in weather.
- Digestive disorders
- Affliction in gastrointestinal tract
Complications of asthma
- Lower the standard and quality of life
- About 80% to 90% of have sleeping disorders
- Blocking of bronchial tube
- Severe asthma in pregnant women leads to hypertension, gestational diabetes, and hemorrhage problems
- Under weight and breathing problems with babies
- Heart disease
- Leaking of air from lungs
- Skin bruising, osteoporosis and skin dystrophy
- Severe coughing may lead to shortage of breathe that needs inhaler
- Asthmaticus-failed to respond to asthma treatment
- Blocking and narrowing of the bronchial tubes
- Side effects from powerful drugs
- Reduces daily life work
- School absenteeism due to severity of the disease
- Home custody for adults
Risk factors of asthma
A large number of people are suffering from Bronchial Asthma both in the developing and developed hemisphere. The condition is becoming chronic in the developing countries due to ignorance and low-level of awareness.
- Hereditary factor-chances increase when immediate blood relatives have the condition.
- Suffering from obesity
- Being a smoker
- Being a passive smoker
- Pregnant mother addicted to smoke
- Pollutants, mites & moulds, dust, aspirin, pollen grain etc.
- Certain chemical used in farming and manufacturing
- Kids born with below average weight
- Kids respiratory infection
- heart and lungs congestion, pneumonia, tuberculosis, lung cancer and cystic fibrosis
- Children age group 2-16 are more vulnerable
- Wheezing tendency of infant flare up asthmatic symptoms.
- Psychological factors like despair, depression, separation, problems in interpersonal relation are too induced it.
Tests and diagnosis of asthma
- Bronchial provocation test
- Pulmonary Function test diagnose it and its severity too
- Bone Density Test
- CT Scan
- Bone Scan
- Spirometry diagnosis measures inhalation and exhalation
- Bronchoscopy examine the sensitiveness of airways
- Chest X-ray is done to observe chronic inflammation caused result in fibrous tissue
- Sweet Test to know about cystic fibrosis
- Skin Test is used to know allergens easily
- Allergy Test: to find out the relevant allergens
7 Best tips to cure asthma
Here are the descriptions of 7 surprising steps are being. Out of which, any treatment can be used to manage asthma.
1. Yoga for asthma cure
According to Yoga, the main cause of Asthma is digestive disorders and allergens. Food if not digested properly, produces toxic juices in the system and causes obstructions in the respiratory tract resulting in the state of breathlessness. Yoga has in-depth potential to prevent such attacks without using drugs. Here, some of the best yoga information on the condition and bronchitis treatment is giving.
- Sirsasana (the head stand pose): The lungs gain the power to resist any situation and stand up to any work, which may relieve one from cough and tonsillitis.
- Sarvangasana (shoulder stand pose): Sarvangasana improves respiration and helps in treating bronchial problems.
- Utthanasana (the squat and rise pose): Utthanasana helps to empty impurity from lungs and gives the feeling of supercharge of energy.
- Paschimottanasana (the fierce or powerful pose): Paschimottanasna improves the efficiency of spinal nerves and has beneficial repercussions throughout the body.
- Dhanurasana ( the bow pose) stretches the chest and put suitable pressure for the expansion of the lungs as well as alveoli thereby increases the intake capacity of the bronchial.
- Bhujangasana (the cobra pose): Bhujangasana expands the chest more than usual, thus helps to improve breathing and lungs capacity.
- Salabhasana (the locusts pose): Salabhasana improves the functions of lungs.
- Urdhva Mukha Sanasana helps to chest expansion thereby increases lungs elasticity.
- Virasana( the hero’s pose) is good for asthmatic patients.
- Uttan Padasana( the raised foot pose) Uttanpadasana gives full expansion to the chest wall and keep the bronchial healthy.
- Ardha Matsyendrasana (the half spinal twist pose): It is one of the important asana for proper functioning of lungs thereby helps in controlling the condition.
- Kriyas like Jala neti and Suta neti control sneezing though reducing sensitiveness of nasal path.
- Backward bending and forward bending postures help in exhaling and inhaling respectively.
- Pranayama keeps the lungs healthy due to free flow of fresh air into the air alveoli and bronchial.
- Kapalbhati (frontal brain bellowing) this yoga pose is useful in making respiratory muscles stronger and improves the general tone of the muscles.
- Bhastrika Pranayama(the bellow Pranayama): It open up the air cells of the lungs.
- Surya Bheda Pranayama( the psychic supercharger) is too useful for it.
- Uddiyana Bandha and Agnisara are beneficial for bronchial problems.
- Kunjal (vomiting) is prescribed with saline lukewarm water if the person facing chronic coughs. It removes excess cough instantaneously.
- Meditation relieves asthma.
2. Ayurveda for asthma treatment
Due to modern faulty lifestyle, uncontrolled pollution and rapid industrialization, allergy, allergens, bronchial asthma has become common among children, adult and aged people. Ayurvedic herbal supplement, natural remedy and dietary treatments are good for the disorder. This disease comes in the paroxysm of dyspnoea and during the attack; the patient goes in extreme agony, perceives darkness, feels thirst and become motionless. On account of frequent coughing and expectorant, the patient faints and remains in extreme distress till phlegm is cough out.
- To strengthen the lungs, mix some cloves with peel banana and take the same product with honey after leaving it for overnight. This a good herbal remedy for bronchitis.
- Herbal medication like juice of whole plant of yellow berried night shade-7 to 14 ml. may be taken twice a day to relieve and ease from the condition.
- Herbal tea made up of Trchyspermum, (Ajwain), Ocimum sanctum (Tulsi), pepper, and ginger is useful natural expectorant for it.
- Panchakarma is very useful for asthmatic patients.
- Vasa, an Indian herb, control bronchitis, a boon and known for cough remedy.
- Turmeric, a bronchial herb, is highly useful for the chronic condition.
- Glycyrrhiza glabra (Yashtimadhu), soothe the trachea and prevent airways obstruction.
- Herbs like albezia lebbeck, clove is useful for bronchitis.
- For natural cure of the condition and to get some relief, rub brown mustard oil on the chest.
- To minimize congestion and reduce breathlessness, drink some pepper + 1 teaspoon honey + little onion juice. It is one of the natural ayurveda remedies.
- More intake of fluid should be taken if one suffered with dryness of it.
- Massage with sesame oil on the chest is a very useful alternative treatment.
- To reduce asthmatic trigger, grind 2-3 gram of nagar and Bharangi, take this medicine mixture thrice a day with lukewarm water.
- To ease the severity of bronchitis, take a mixture of Sitopladi Churna + liquorices+ borax powder and honey, thrice a day.
- Herbs like Elecompane, Mullein, Thyme, Black Pepper, Flax seed, Ginger, Manna, Myrrh also used for the treatment of it.
- Seed of Celery is used in the treatment of it.
- A solution of Ephedra provides relief to asthma attacks by clearing the congestion of respiratory tract.
- Chewing of the fruit chebulic myroblan at night allay asthmatic attack.
- Arjuna bark is helpful in treating of it.
- Powdered of bay berry bark an effective remedy for bronchial patients.
- Euphorbia facilitates easy breathing.
- Aniseed has expectorant characters so helpful for asthma patients.
- Gum of Asafetida + Honey is useful for the patients.
- Trachyspermum ammi has expectorant properties and ease chronic phlegm.
- Garlic reduces the asthmatic severity.
- Ginger can be used for bronchial asthma for its expectorant properties.
3. Homeopathy medicine for asthma
Homeopathy treatment show positive result for bronchial asthma and it is safe in case of children who are suffering from this condition. Homeopathic remedy reduces asthma medication (steroids) in children. In case of tolerance factor, homeopathy is well enough to fight against allergens like pollen grain, dust, pollutants, etc. Some of homeopathy treatments and homeopathy remedies are given below
- Treatment with Antimonium tartaricum is useful for children who face severe cough.
- Arsenicum album is given to person who is suffering from cyclic nature of cough. Perennial thrust, restiveness and anxiety are associated with it.
- Blatta Orientalis- given in case of severity.
- Ipecac- takes it during chronic cough.
- Kali Carbonicum is useful homeopathic medicine in case of aggravated condition.
- Phosporus-Good remedy for breathlessness.
- Spongia tosta- effective remedy for dry coughs, especially with children and reduces the role of inhalers where harmful chemicals like steroid are used.
- Pulsetila facilitates breathing and helpful in preventing suffocation and asthma attack.
- Carbo vegitable relieves chest congestion and spasmodic asthmas and a bronchodialator.
- Kali bic is helpful when one experience no air in the chest.
- Natrum mur treats aggravated problems.
- Antimonium tartaricum is given when the patient feel crackling sounds in the chest.
- Spongia tosta is prescribed at rattling asthma.
- Chamomilla may be used when during dry and hard cough.
- Nux vomica is recommended when the chest is congested.
- Asthmatic homeopathic common medicines used for the disease are Lachesis, sulphur, ignatia, hepar-sulph and tuberculinum.
- Note: One should take professionals/Doctors/Experts advice before taking these medicines.
4. Naturopathy for asthma control
Asthma is an allergic condition and the most troublesome respiratory disease. Patients suffering from the condition appear to be gasping for breath. Modern medical science has not been able to find a cure for this crippling disease. Drugs and vaccines have only limited value. The following nature cure treatments are suggested to prevent, control and cure asthma, asthmatics and bronchitis.
- The patient should be given enema to clean the colon and prevent auto-intoxication.
- Mud pack applied to the abdomen will relieve the fermentation caused by undigested food and will promote intestinal peristalsis.
- Wet pack on the chest relieves congestion of the lungs and strengthens the alveoli.
- Hip bath, Hot Foot bath and Chest pack, all stimulate the skin and relieve the congested lungs.
- Hot foot bath is quiet beneficial.
- Fasting with lemon juice and honey, thereby switch to fruit juice nourish the system and eliminate toxin.
- It is better to have dinner before sunrise and should be light in nature.
- Use warm drinking water before, after and during meal.
- 1/2 tsp bishop’s weed + buttermilk twice a day an effective remedy for the case.
- Gooseberry + Honey provide instant relief.
- Karela root + Honey acts like as an expectorant.
- Figs provide comfort by draining off the phlegm.
- Indian gooseberry + honey, a useful product for the treatment of the ailment.
- Dry seeds of safflower+ honey are helpful in the treatment of bronchial problems.
- Inhaling of honey make breathing easier as it contains alcohol and ethereal oil.
- Early stages of asthma can be cured by giving boil garlic along with milk.
- Ginger tea with garlic cloves keeps the symptoms under control.
- 1 tsp of turmeric powder with 1 glass of milk is an effective remedy.
- Massage of mustard oil with camphor at the back of the chest loosen phlegm and ease breathing.
- Inhaling the steam of boil water and caraway seeds dilate the bronchial passage.
5. Home remedies for asthma relief
Millions of people are suffering from asthma, bronchial asthma and bronchitis. Home remedies have the capability to such attacks and reduces the symptoms like wheezing, coughing, sneezing and breathlessness. Here are given some home remedies that can be tried at home safely without any complications.
- Lemon juice is good natural remedy.
- Combination of Bitter gourd root + Honey + Tulsi leaves brings unique result to the patients. It is one of the best home remedies for such patients.
- Boil drumstick leaves + Salt+ Pepper + Lime juice, an effective herbal remedy for the condition.
- Taking and inhaling honey is one of the widespread treatments for the case.
- Inhalation of eucalyptus oils open up airways.
- Ginger juice + Methi + honey, a very effective home remedy for the chronic condition.
- Juices of carrot and spinach provide relief.
- Onion + honey + some black pepper provide relief from congestion and ease breathlessness.
- Garlic+ milk is a beneficial remedy.
- Honey + warm water take out phlegm from the throat and used for treatment purposes.
- Massage of mustard oil and camphor over the chest provides relieve in breathing.
- Take the steam of carom ajwain to get respite.
- Use basil + honey every morning to keep away from the condition.
- Chew basil leaves + salt for natural treatment to cure it.
- Use roasted gram and milk at night to free flow of airways.
- Turmeric (grind) + honey are unique for it.
- Chewing of black pepper at night is also good.
- Lemon juice + ginger once a day is fine with the condition.
- Chewing Chebulic Myroblan gives reprieve from asthmatic attacks.
6. Diet for Asthma
Chew your food properly and eat slowly with relax mind. To avoid over-fullness on chest, always eat less than your capacity and avoid imbalanced diet. If diet changes as per complementary and alternative medicine, there is a greater chance to bring relief in asthma. One should take diet as per COPD guidelines. Children are also at greater risk of the condition because some foods are the biggest trigger of asthma attack among children. Children with obesity are prone to it, so diet, weight loss regime and fitness is must here to reduce cholesterol.
- Green leafy vegetable, fresh fruits and herbs are quite effective for the condition due to its antioxidant features.
- Onion contains ‘quercetin’, an anti-inflammatory compound and considered as most effective remedy.
- Hot pungent may make breathing easier by opening air passage.
- Citrus fruits due to its greater content of Vitamin C have inherent power to fight it.
- Predominately vegetarian diet is the good option for the patients.
- Foods rich in Vitamin A play a vital role in curing it.
- Oxygen carrying capacity of blood increases owing to antioxidant property of Vitamin E.
- Essential fatty acids, particularly omega-3 oils reduce inflammation and alleviate attacks.
- The therapeutic aspects of Tulsi can’t be ignored.
- Flavonoids of apples reduce inflammation.
- Nasal acuteness can be minimized by taking turmeric along with honey.
- Eating of ginger and black pepper is advisable.
- Take more and more lukewarm water.
- Asthmatic diet should contain of limited quantity of carbohydrate, protein and fats. He should also take more and more quantity of alkaline foods like fresh fruits, green vegetables and Bengal gram.
Foods not for asthma
- Avoid sugar, rice, pickles, ice cream, cold drinks, curds etc. as all those help in phlegm formation.
- Spicy and pungent foods should also be avoided.
- Foods like cider, wine, beer and cheese may provoke asthma attack.
- Allergen foods that are responsible for it are meat, eggs, fish, shellfish, milk, chocolate, food preservatives etc.
7. Asthma prevention and precautions
There are so many ways to control and prevent asthma. First of all, your surrounding should be neat and clean. It is a wise decision to keep himself away from asthmatic triggers like pollutants, dust, smoke, medications, pollen etc. Foods such as rice, sugar, lentils and fried one should be skipped as these items helps to form phlegm.
- Bronchitis patients should always eat less than their capacity.
- Keep away from cold and damp places.
- Eat slowly and chew your food properly.
- Give much more thrust on Yoga.
- Avoid dusty places.
- Keep yourself away from mental worries and stress.
- Pranayama should be in your everyday routine.
- Take 10-12 glasses of water daily but not along with meal.
- Walking, especially brisk walk should be preferred.
- Spices, pickles, tea and coffee should be avoided.
- During asthmatic attack, taking of warm water is preferred.
- Excessive eating should be avoided.
- Take light dinner.
- Avoid Tobacco, alcohol, Gutka, Pan Masal, etc.
- Smoking invites severity, acuteness and chronicity.
- Air conditioners and coolers are also harmful.
- Evade perfumes, repellents, deodorants, aftershave and air fresheners.
- Don’t drink cold water.
- Do moderate exercise.
- Avoid over indulgence in sex.
- Bedroom should be free from allergens.
- Wash your mattresses regularly.
- Avoid cleaning of house through broom.
- Do swim to ease your chest.
- Cold and heavy meal should be avoided.