What is the meaning of AUM?
As per old scriptures, AUM or OM is a meditational practice has its own importance, significance and health benefits. It is said that AUM is king of all Mantras. If you learn the chanting of it, the rest mantras can be recited easily well. It can be chanted by everyone.
Correct method of OM chanting
- To get the maximum benefits of AUM, the practitioners should know how to pronounce OM.
- The best way of OM chanting is A-A-A-A-A-A-U-U-U-U-U-U-M-M-M-M-M-M.
- Aum can be chanted slowly or quickly.
- If it is chanted quickly, then it is a powerful method to synchronize it with the heartbeat thereby resonating throughout the whole body in tune with the natural heart rate.
- If Aum is chanted slowly it can be made to last for many seconds, depending on the capacity of the individual.
- The pronunciation of each of the syllables ‘A’, ‘U’ and ‘M’ is as follow: The syllable ‘A’ is pronounced like ‘AH’ or ‘a’ in the word ‘palm’. The syllable ‘U’ is pronounced ‘oo’ as in the word ‘room’. The syllable ‘M’ is sounded after ‘A’ and ‘U’ like a humming sound: ‘m-mm-m-m-m-m-m-m’.
Health Benefits of AUM Chanting
- The chanting of OM brings with innumerable benefits. Its benefits get manifold if someone experiences its reciting.
- If you desire to reach the highest stage of meditation, the best part of it is to chant OM and personal realization.
- It unites the limited existence with the unlimited. It is Aum that merges the microcosm with the macrocosm, the individual with the universal.
- It is the best and powerful tool to relax the mind and body.
- It helps to combat many psychosomatic disorders.
- Those who are having depressed/negative emotions should practice it.
Top facts about OM
- According to the Mandukya Upanishad, “The syllable Aum is the universe.
- It is the absolute.
- It is past, present and future in perspective of time.
- The syllables A, U, M represent Brahma (the creator), Vishnu (the sustainer) and Shiva (the dissolver).
- It is said that OM meaning can’t be explained. It is beyond intellectual concepts.
- It has been mentioned in many ancient texts such as Mandukya Upanishad, Dhyanabindu Upanishad, Shweteswatara Upanishad, Maitri Upanishad, Bhagavad Gita and Yoga Vashishtha.
- It is not only confined to Indian spiritual systems. It is found in the Islamic faith in the modified form of Amin; it is also found in the religions of Judaism and Christianity in the form of Amen.
The duration of practicing OM depends upon person to person. Some people practice it for hours. There are the people who practice it continuously, whether they are working, playing, eating or sleeping.
Steps of AUM chanting
- Sit in a comfortable position by closing your eyes.
- Start reciting Aum, either slowly or quickly with full awareness.
- Let’s feel the sound comes from your whole being.
- Maintain this position as long as you can. Preferably, it should be 15 minutes.
- During this state, one can also focus on the pulse at the eyebrow centre.