Everything you need to know about Sutra neti
- What is Sutra neti?
- Sutra neti preparation
- What should be used in sutra neti?
- Sutra neti practice time
- How to do sutra neti: Steps of doing rubber neti
- Top 15 health benefits of Sutra neti
- What are the precautions for sutra neti?
- Scientific explanation of the Sutraneti
What is Sutra Neti?
Sutra neti is a nasal cleansing yoga exercise wherein the nasal area and outer respiratory regions are decongested with the help of soft thread. Initially, the soft thread is inserted through one nostril and tries to bring out through the mouth. The same process should be repeated with another nostril. After having mastery of the process, it can be inserted through one nostril and try to make it out through another nostril. But one thing should be kept in mind that it always should be practiced under the supervision of a yoga expert.
Sutra neti preparations
- First of all, take a sutra neti cotton thread or rubber catheter that can be easily inserted into the nostril.
- One teaspoon of salt may be added into half a litre of lukewarm water.
- Now, fill the neti pot with this water.
- Put the sutra neti into water for more softening.
What should be used in sutra neti?
For the practice sutra neti, it is better to use cotton thread, which should be carefully twisted. Before practicing, it should be observed minutely regarding the presence of a knot or dust particles in it as it can harm the soft nasal region and bleeding can also cause. Before using it, it should be soaked properly in water. A thin rubber catheter can also be used as a sutra.
Sutra neti practice time
- The best time to perform sutraneti is the morning.
- One must do in the presence of a Yoga expert.
- Initially, it should be practiced continuously for 40 days. After then, it should be practiced once a week.
How to do sutra neti: Steps of doing rubber neti
- Sit in Kagasana.
- Tilt the head slightly back and insert thread or rubber catheter into one of the nostrils, whichever is more active at the moment. Gently push it through the nostril using both hands.
- When the thread has come through to the back of the throat, put the index and middle fingers into the mouth; catch hold of the thread, and take it out carefully and slowly through the mouth.
- Leave a few inches of the thread hanging out of the nose.
- Now, slowly and gently pull the thread out and do it twice or thrice initially.
- The same process can be practiced through other nostril.
- After becoming mastering of the process, the thread can be moved forward and backward as per convenience and take out slowly through the mouth.
- After becoming an expert of it, the thread can be inserted through one nostril and can be taken out through other nostrils.
Top 15 health benefits of Sutra neti
- Nasal congestion: This is one of the best yoga exercises to clean the nasal region.
- Sinus: Sutra neti along with jalneti has the power to cure all nasal related disorders like sinusitis, blockage of nasal passage, etc. It massages the membranes and sinus glands thereby strengthening them. It is also good for nose and throat, tonsillitis and catarrh.
- ENT cleansing: The regular practice of this cleansing yoga ensures to rejuvenate the entire ENT region thus prevents many diseases of this region of the body.
- Brain cells: Sutra neti also makes the brain cells fresh and refreshes, improves the function of the tear duct and olfactory zone of the brain.
- Eyesight: It helps to stimulate the nerves and improves the functions of the eyes and eyesight.
- Protects from viruses and bacteria: It increases resistance to invasion by viruses and bacteria.
- Mucous deposit: It clears away the dried up mucus deposits and foreign particles and removes stagnation of the blood.
- Balances the nostrils: This practice greatly assists in balancing the airflow of the two nostrils.
- Stimulates the Ajnacakra: The practice of this yoga engages the Kosas and stimulates the Ājñācakra, the psychic center in the midbrain.
- Cough and Cold: The practicing of sutra neti is good in the prevention and management of cold, cough, and sneezing.
- Headache: It is one of the effective cleansing yoga processes to clear the ENT region. It helps to remove all the complications and facilitates in relieving of headaches and migraines.
- Insomnia: Sutra neti also plays a vital role in sorting the problems of insomnia.
- Drowsiness: Drowsiness and sleeping disorders also can be cured through it.
- Hair problems: Due to cough and cold and nasal congestion, many people experience the conditions of grey hair. The practice of it helps to combat such issues.
- Memory: The practice of the pose is good to boost memory.
What are the precautions for sutra neti?
- It should be practiced only and only before the yoga expert.
- Sutraneti should be performed before asana and pranayama to unblock the passage of air.
- The thread should be clean and soft and free from unwanted particles.
- It should be inserted and pulled out very slowly and gently.
- It is better to perform jalneti first sutraneti so that the nasal region becomes clear of all the unwanted substances.
- Initially, it should be practiced for forty days, after then it can be practiced on a weekly basis.
- A person having nose bleeding shouldn’t perform it.
- It should be avoided during sinus.
- Make sure that the water is lukewarm and free of all the dust particles.
- After performing the practice, Bhastrika Pranayama should be performed.
- The proportion of salt and water should be kept in mind as more salt leads to a burning sensation in the nasal region.
- Breathe through the mouth during the entire process.
Scientific explanation of the Sutraneti
The practicing of sutra neti can cause a mild irritation to the mucosa of the respiratory region. It helps to remove dust, dirt, unwanted substances, retained secretions, or deposits from the inhaled air. Much scientific research has been conducted on it regarding its efficacy.
11 thoughts on “Sutra Neti (Nasal Cleansing Yoga) Steps, Benefits and Precautions”
Sir, I performed sutra neti but I have some pain in left nostril this pain is from past 1yr, and when I perform the yoga my mind and brain will block, I will get irritating and anger… I need suggestion…
I have sinus.bt dats wat it is meant for rt????to tteat sinus
Yes, it is treatable through Jalneti and Sutra neti
Thank you very much sir.
It is very useful information sir
There is mentioned that don’t do when you have sinus.. we do this to overcome sinus ..
can we do if we have sinus ?
It can be practiced in the presence of a Yoga Therapist.
My cheeks area and left and right area near nose is paining I don’t know why
I have undergone cataract surgery 2 months back. Can i do sutra neti now?
yes, you can do but initially under the supervision of yoga teacher
I learned, jal neti and sutra neti from National institute of naturopathy, Pune. And I can do both very well.
One of my nostrils is always blocked, because of which it’s difficult to do Pranayama.
If I do jal+sutra neti for 40 days will it unblock my nostrils permanently ?
It is advisable to do before an expert of Satkarma for positive result.