What is a Headache?
Headache is also known as cephalalgia where the sufferer continuously experiences pain in the head, scalp, or neck region. It is defined as acute pain in the surrounding region of the neck, ears, eyes, and behind the head. Migraine is an acute disorder where recurrent of headache is common.
The condition afflicts almost everyone at some time or the other. Most of them are functional, caused by temporary upsets, and are not related to any organic changes in the brain. The disorder is often a natural warning that something is wrong somewhere in the body. The actual pain however arises from irritation to nerve endings in the shoulder, neck, and scalp muscles and also in the smooth muscles encircling the blood vessels which serve these areas.
Top causes of headache
- The most important causes of it are allergy, especially an allergy to certain foods.
- The most common triggers include chocolate, strong cheese, caffeine, cola, yogurt, processed foods, preserved meats, alcoholic drinks, etc.
- Intense emotion
- Migraine leads to severity
- High Blood Pressure
- Low Blood Sugar
- Nutritional Deficiency
- Stress & Tension
- Presence of toxins in the body
- Cervical Spondylosis
Important migraine triggers
Migraine may be experienced by following triggers.
- Allergic reactions
- Tension headache
- Disturbed sleeping
- Use of Alcohol
- Skipping meals
- Strong odor
- Bright lights
- Stress (Physical, Emotional, Social, etc.)
- Menstrual cycle fluctuations
- Birth control pills
- Hormone fluctuations during the menopause transition
- Red wine
- Smoked fish
- Chicken liver
- Temperature mixed with humidity
- Head bath
Migraine symptoms & signs
- Altered mood
- Depression and Irritability
- Excessive sleepiness
- Stiff muscles
- Craving for certain foods
- Increased urination
- Loss of appetite
Migraine classification & type
- Basilar type: It is an uncommon form with complicated in nature.
- Familial hemiplegic: It is associated with possible genetic causes.
- Abdominal migraine: This type is more common among children with signs associated with nausea, vomiting, and acute abdominal pain.
- Menstrual Migraine: Such type of condition is associated with before or during menstrual periods.
- Status migraines: It is lasted for about 72 hours with the relief of 4 hours in between.
- Cluster Headache: It is the most and chronic form, which are rarely occurred. This cluster form is generally common in the eye region and on one side of the head, maybe experienced three times a day. Men are more affected by this.
- Tension Headache: This is the most common type of the disorder, believed to be caused due to contraction of neck and scalp muscles.
- Sinus Headache: Sinus infection leads to sinus this, which is associated with fever followed by pain.
How to treat migraine pain
The condition is painful and extremely unbearable, which is associated with symptoms like vomiting, fatigue, nausea, and numbness. It not only includes severe pain, yet it comes under complex neurological syndrome. The typical migraine headache lasted from 4 to 72 hours. Its treatment comprises three different steps-preventive treatment, acute treatment, and rescue treatment. However, the most effective treatment is prevention. To deal with this; medicine is used like painkillers, anti-inflammatory painkillers, Saridon, Dispirin, anti-inflammatory painkillers, Triptans, anti-sickness medicine. However, there are many natural as well as traditional ways to kill headache pain and get rid of migraines.
Taking Disprin/Aspirin/Saridon provides you temporary relief and also may lead to nervous debility, heart problems, and other complications. Allopathic drug manufacturers are earning millions of dollars as pain reliever. Allopathic has side effects while herbal and natural treatments have effective curability and remedies.
Best treatment for headache
The best remedy to prevent it is to develop physical resistance through proper nutrition, exercise, and constructive thinking. Diet is the utmost important factor in treating the condition. Taking fresh juice is one of the best remedies to cure it as it helps to load off the digestion. Drinking lemon juice is beneficial. A fine paste of lemon crust when is applied on the forehead, helps in giving relief. Eating an apple with salt in the morning for about a week cures headaches. When the paste of henna and vinegar is applied over the forehead, provides relief from it. Drinking plenty of water is also good in the management and control of the disorder. The application of a cold pack and cold compress is too beneficial in relieving headaches and migraines.
Yoga for migraine cure
Yoga combats headache pain. Certain Yoga like Jalneti, Kunjal, Anulom Vilom, Shitali pranayama, Sheetkari Pranayama, Uttanpadasana, Sarvangasana, Paschimottanasana, Halasana, and Shavasana is helpful in the prevention and management of headaches and migraines. Headaches and migraines are believed to be partly caused by the compression of certain blood vessels in the brain. Sirsasana on normal days helps to relax and strengthens these vessels thereby prevent the occurrence of these ailments.
Breathing exercises for migraine
- Dog breathing – 1 min (3 times)
- Tiger breathing – 6 times
- Hand in and out breathing – 6 times
- Hand stretch breathing – 4 times each in horizontal, oblique, and vertical positions and
- Ankle stretch breathing – 5 times are beneficial in getting rid of headaches.
Yoga exercises for headache
Movements of the neck, shoulder, elbows, wrist, fingers, rotation of the arms, then waist, movement of knees, ankles, and toes – 6 times each are also beneficial in overcoming migraines and headache.
Top migraine causing foods
There are many foods, which trigger migraines. Foods that should be avoided to ease it are spices, tomatoes, sour buttermilk, and oily foodstuffs. Chicken livers, figs, and some beans. Monosodium glutamate (MSG) or nitrates afflicted the conditions. Other foods such as chocolate, nuts, peanut butter, avocado, banana, citrus, onions, dairy products, and fermented or pickled foods also should be avoided during headache.
Unani medicine for migraine
Headache can be cured through Unani medicine.
- Make a fine powder of Stoechas (3gm), Coriander (3gm), and Black pepper (5 in numbers). Take this mixture early morning on empty stomach and followed by rest for half an hour to have its positive benefits.
- Prepared a fine powder of Babool flower (10gm), Coriander (10 gm), and Kernel of Bottle Gourd (10 gm). Take the 3 grams of the mixture with water twice a day for relieving the disorder.
- Take a mixture of Jatamansi (6gm), Cinnamon (6gm), and Dry Ginger (6gm). Boil this mix in 120 ml of water and strain it. A little amount of sugar may be added to sweeten it. The preparation should be taken on an empty stomach in the morning.
- Make a fine powder of Zedoary (500gm) and ammonium chloride (2 gm) separately. Mix them well and keep it in a clean glass. The mix may be used as an inhaler.
Best Homeopathic remedies for migraine
One can try Homeopathic medicine these remedies. The following medications may be taken as homeopathic management to cure it.
- Aconite: Excessive pain in the head with great restlessness associated with fear of death.
- Belladonna: Belladonna is given when the condition is caused due to exposure to cold air, direct sun heat, and symptoms are associated with redness of the face.
- Bryonia: Bursting headache, worse by stooping and motion, and better by hard pressure and absolute rest. In such symptoms and signs, Bryonia is helpful in the prevention and treatment of the disorder.
- Glonoine: Headache from exposure to the heat of Sun, throbbing, and pulsating pain.
Migraine prevention tips
It can be prevented by avoiding triggers, like certain foods, stress, and changes in the daily regimen. Some precautions may be taken to avoid these two conditions.
- Consuming certain substances such as chocolate, red wine, caffeine, and monosodium glutamate
- Lack of adequate sleep
- Skipping meals
- Weather changes
- Stress, strain, and tension should be avoided.
- Strong odors or cigarette smoke triggers headache
- Bright light is one of the triggers too.