Meaning of Chakrasana
Chakrasana has derived from a Sanskrit word Chakr means Wheel and Asana indicates a Yoga pose. Therefore, Chakrasana is also called a Wheel pose. However, it is known by meanings too like circle, whirlpool, and spiral. It is the so-called wheel pose because, in the final stage, it takes the shape of a wheel. It is associated with so many benefits like a flat stomach, belly fat burning, making the spine supple, etc. It has some precautions too.
How to do chakrasana: steps to do wheel pose
- Lie down on your back.
- Bend the legs and place the heels near the buttocks.
- There should be a half-meter gap between the feet.
- Place the hands on the ground near the head.
- Inhale, raise the head and trunk off the ground, and also straight your arms and legs.
- Try to give suitable stretching on the back as per convenience.
- Maintain the pose as long as you can.
- Do normal breathing while maintaining the pose.
- Return to the original position by slowly lowering the body on the ground.
- Intra-abdominal pressure: It gives intense intra-abdominal pressure, decongest the stomach, thus good for the health of entire abdominal organs. It releases trapped gases from the abdominal region and also ensures smooth oxygenated blood flow to various body organs thus increases the efficiency of organs and body systems.
- Lethargy: It is one of the important yoga poses to overcome lethargy and sluggishness. It also provides great vitality, energy, and a feeling of lightness.
- Navel health: It has a direct effect on the solar plexus at the navel, which is a large sympathetic nervous center, thus good for the smooth functioning of various organs.
- Sexual organs: The practicing of wheel pose helps to better functioning of sexual organs.
- Kidney and Bladder health: Since the practicing of this yoga directly stimulates the sympathetic nerves, provides appropriate fluid balance in the body, thus ensuring sound health of the kidney, urinary bladder, and organs related to the urinary system.
- Diabetes: The regular practice of this yoga asana tones up the pancreas and ensures the right secretion of glucagon and insulin thus helps in the management of diabetes.
- Weight Loss: It is one of the effective yoga for weight loss. It makes your body slim and trim. It is also toned up your arms and legs and gives a suitable fitness structure.
- Flat stomach: It is excellent yoga to burn belly fat and helps to make your stomach flat. It also sheds extra fat from the abdominal region.
- Spinal health: It rejuvenates and realigned the entire spinal column. Regular practice of yoga helps to relieve backache. It not only reduces the backache but also strengthens the back.
- Cardiac health: It massages the heart by pushing reasonable pressure in the diaphragm, which is pushed towards the heart by the extra pressure in the abdomen.
- Asthma: It helps to enhance the capacity of the chest thereby increases the lung’s capacity and good for various respiratory disorders including asthma.
- Thyroid and adrenal glands: It massaged and toned the thyroid and the adrenals, thus good for the women who are suffering from thyroid problems.
- Strengthens arms and wrists: It gives suitable stretch to the arms and writs, thus toned and strengthens the arms and wrists. It has also very soothing effects on the head.
Follow up pose
The wheel pose shouldn’t be performed in the following conditions.
- It shouldn’t be performed who has high blood pressure.
- Heart problems
- Stomach ulcers
- Dilated eye pupils
- In case of weak arms
- Abdominal surgery
- Fractured bones
- Spinal injury