The word Sarvangasana had been taken from Sanskrit सर्वाङ्गासन. It consists of three words Sarv, Anga, and Asana. Sarva means Entire; anga is part of the body, and asana means yogic posture. In English, it is known as the Shoulder stand yoga pose. It plays a pivotal role in the overall functioning of the body. It is known as the ‘Mother of All Asanas’, which indicates its benefits and significance. It brings peace and harmony to the body, thus helping manage lifestyle-related disorders such as stress, anxiety, depression, etc. Also read: Manage stress through Yoga.
How to do Sarvangasana
The various simple steps of performing Sarvangasana are given below. By following these techniques, even the learner can easily practice this asana.
- Lie down in the supine position or lying on your stomach.
- Raise your legs slowly upward to a 90° angle.
- Bring the legs towards the head by raising the buttocks.
- Raise the legs, abdomen, and chest to form a straight line.
- Place the palms on your back for support.
- Place the chin against the chest.
- Maintain the position as long as comfortable.
- Try to maintain the pose for up to 30 seconds or more.
- Slowly return to the original position.
- While doing this, first lower the buttocks with hands supporting the back and slowly come to the surface or in the original position.
- Perform it twice or thrice.
After performing Sarvangasanam, one should practice Matsyasana immediately to ease backache.
Sarvangasana related pose
The sequentially related poses of shoulder stand yoga are:
- Ardha Halasana
- Viprit Karni
Wonder benefits of Sarvangasana
Some of the essential benefits of Sarvangasana are given below:
- Thyroid gland: The shoulder stand yoga pose is good for the healthy functioning of the pituitary, pineal, kidney, liver, spleen, and testes. Thus, it regulates the functions of all the glands of the body.
- Invigorates circulatory system: Asana is good in the case of the circulatory system, respiratory system, and digestive system.
- Headache: It enhances blood supply to the head region and is suitable for managing headaches and migraines.
- Hypertension: It has a cooling effect on the nerves, thus beneficial for high blood pressure patients.
- Insomnia: It is good for insomnia patients as it facilitates the blood supply to this region.
- Constipation: It seems to be a panacea for constipation patients. A person suffering from constipation should practice it regularly.
- Intestinal ulcers stimulate the intestinal and stomach glands, thus suitable for ulcers in these regions.
- Hair fall: It enhances blood supply in the head region and prevents hair fall.
- Sexual disorders: The yoga pose is beneficial in case of sexual problems such as frequent abortions, leucorrhoea, syphilis, etc.
- Weight Loss: It helps in the burning of fat.
- Eyesight: It is suitable for eye vision.
- Skincare: It helps to prevent wrinkles and pimples and delay ageing.
The shoulder stands yoga pose has contraindications and side effects. Some of the cautions of Sarvangasana are mentioned below.
- Those with high blood pressure shouldn’t perform the asana.
- Avoid this asana during menstruation.
- Having experienced spinal problems, skip this asana.
- Don’t practice in case of glaucoma, acute thyroid problems, chronic neck conditions, shoulder injuries, and retina problems.
- It should be avoided by those who have heart problems, middle ear problems, capillary, weak age, spondylosis, and Slipped disc.
5 thoughts on “Sarvangasana (Shoulder Stand Yoga Pose) Steps, Benefits and Precautions”
If a person is suffering from high blood pressure & heart ailment why it is advisable to avoid shoulder stand . ,Is matsayasan can be performed after shoulder stand .?
If a person is suffering from high blood pressure it is necessary to perform sarvangasan as it provide a cooling effect to nerves.
These easy yet effective yoga poses I have been looking for so long, for yoga training
The above written write up proves that Yoga comes with a number of advantages. It also suggests that Yoga is the best form of exercise which can keep you healthy and happy inside out.