Homeopathic remedies for colds and coughs
Common cold, cough and flu seem to be simple seasonal health conditions, yet these are not like that, knocked off you down with their severity. The nastiness of of these monsoon ailments can be experienced, especially with those who are really facing these seasonal blues. Coughs, colds and flu are accompanied by running nose, nasal congestion, sneezing, sore throat, headache, fever and uneasiness. The efficacy of homeopathic medicines increased manifolds when they prescribed by correctly knowing the symptoms. Because of its precision remedial role, homeopathic medicines are widely used in treating coughs and colds. Homeopathy medicines are made from natural substances and almost no side effects.
What are the symptoms of colds and coughs?
- Running nose
- Nasal Congestion and stuffiness
- Mild Fever
- Muscular pain
- Sore and scratchy throat
What are the causes of common cold?
- Extremely heated or chilled
- Corona viruses
- Transmission of virus through saliva, air, cough, surfaces, blood, needles etc.
- Para influenza
Coughs and colds complications
- Excessive body pain
- Severe ear infection
- Asthmatic attack
- Respiratory tract infections
15 homeopathy medicines for acute cold and cough
- Aconite: Sudden attacks of cold and cough, after exposure of very cold weather of winter or intense hot weather of summer. The medicine is most suitable to take as soon as the complaints start.
- Ars.alb: The medicine is used with the symptoms like watery discharge, sneezing, burning sensation in nostril, with weakness and restlessness and increase thrust.
- Allium cepa: Allium cepa should be used in symptoms like acrid (irritating) nasal discharge, but bland (non-irritating) tears, sneezing, better in open air.
- Euphrasia: Bland (Non-irritating) nasal discharge but acrid (irritating) tears.
- Justicia a.: Common cold with cough, sneezing, tightness of chest, hoarse voice, constipation, worse in close room and better in open air.
- Sambucus n. : Nose blocked without nasal discharge in children, wake up at night frequently.
- Cassia s.: Thin, watery, nasal discharge with sneezing, better from warmth.
- Nux vom. : Chilliness, nose blocked, cold often alternate sides, better in open air.
- Rhus tox. : Common cold after getting wet, with feverish feeling and body ache.
- Sabadilla: Profuse watery discharge with severe sneezing, suited for children with worm trouble.
- Belladonna: Dry cough with redness of face, eyes, sore throat.
- Hyoscyamus: Dry cough with tickling in throat, worse on lying down, better by sitting up.
- Causticum: Cough with dryness, hoarseness and rawness in throat; relieved by cold drinks involuntary urination while coughing.
- Drosera: Whooping cough, violent, paroxysmal, long bouts of cough ending with whopping sound, worse towards midnight and on lying down. Give a single dose only.
- Cocculus: Cough with thick ropy expectoration, worse in the morning on waking.
10 Natural home remedies for quick cold and cough relief
- The patient should take adequate rest.
- Drinks more and more water including other natural fluids. Liquids help to thinning the mucus in throat and make easier to cough it up.
- In the winter season, it is better to stay at home so avoid cold exposure.
- Inhale steam for at least five minutes, in chronic cases, one may also used Vicks for better and quick result.
- Cover yourself properly from top to bottom.
- Gargle with warm salt water is beneficial.
- Do Jal Neti and Sutra Neti (Nasal cleansing yogic processes). It helps to clear the nasal passage and also removes dirts and germs.
- Give more and more weighatge to vitamin C and citrus fruits.
- Hot chicken soup is also recommended.
- Taking honey on regular basis also helps to prevent coughs, colds and flu.
Cold, cough and flu prevention tips
- Wash your hands properly after nose wiping.
- Also wash your hands before eating foods and after toilet.
- If you come across disinfectant, wash the touched part.
- Mother who feed her kids as breast milk is known to protect against respiratory infections even years after breastfeeding is done.
- Drink plenty of water to balance and smooth functioning of the immune system.
- It is suggested to keep away from the infected person.
- Don’t smoke and also stay away from passive smoking.
- If you have seasonal allergies like hay fever, stay indoors during the days when airborne allergens are high. If possible keep the windows closed and used an air conditioner.
- Avoid fans that draw in air from outdoors.
- Shower and change your clothes after being outside.
- Avoid exposure to dust, air pollution, airborne allergens, pets, and other triggers that you know you are allergic too.
When to consult a doctor
- Symptoms worsen or do not improve after 3 or 4 days.
- Pain and discharge from ear could mean that infection is going worse.
- On experiencing of shortness of breath or difficulty in breathing
- If the cough is accompanied by blood.
- If there is thick, foul smelling, yellowish-green phlegm, which is the indication of bacterial infections.
- If you have a history of heart disease.
- If the cough lasts longer than 10-14 days.
- If the child is younger than 3 months.