Who doesn’t know about Perungayam or Hing’s health benefits and medicinal uses, especially women at home? I still remember the winter season of 1998 when I visited my native village with my family. My daughter who was about 1-year old experiencing stomach pain at night and was crying continuously. It is difficult to get related medicine in remote areas of my native place at night. Then my grandmother suggested my wife use a Hing solution upon her stomach. To my surprise, she stopped crying slept well throughout the night. How can I forget that moment and since then I was very fond of this ayurvedic medicinal herb and use the same even after returning to Delhi. A number of people also use perungayam for many health issues and to solve skin problems like pimples, boils, black spots, etc. It is known by different names such as Devil’s dung and foods of God. In spite of this, in different languages, it is known by different names. Some of it is given below.
10 surprising benefits of perungayam
- Perungayam pimples treatment: It is effective in the treatment of pimples, acne, and scars. Because of this, many cosmetic manufacturers are used perungayam as a component for beauty products. How to use: Make a solution of asafoetida with water. Apply the solution only on the pimples. Continue it twice or thrice a week for one month. You will see positive results in curing of such spots and finally will get a glowing face.
- Perungayam for blemishes: Hing is also good to clear out blemishes and give your face a shining look. How to use: Make a paste of pernungayam and yogurt. Apply it over the age-related spots twice a week and continue the process for one month.
- Perungayam for babies’ gas problems: Kids are crying a lot, especially at night due to forming gases or stomach pain. It is difficult to give them asafoetida orally because of its pungent smell. How to use: Make a thin paste of Hing with water. Now, apply this solution over the stomach. The young ones will feel quick relief.
- Perungayam for digestion: Using fried asafoetida is helpful in curing many stomach related disorders. How to use: Grind hing and take a small pinch of it along with warm water. Continue it for one week. It helps to treat abdominal disorders and also acts like an appetizer.
- Hing for toothache: The problems of toothache and dental caries can be successfully treated with asafoetida. How to use: Make a powder of asafoetida and clove. Apply this mixture to the pain area of the tooth. Leave it for sometimes and you can feel quick relief.
- Asafoetida for fits: It is good in treating fits, convulsion, and hysteria. How to use: Nasal insufflations are effective in curing the above-mentioned health conditions.
- Perungayam relieves menstrual pain: Hing gives great and immediate relief from menstrual problems. How to use: Fried asafoetida and make a powder of it. Now, use it with buttermilk. It shows a positive result in curing the problems.
- Perungayam for recipes: It is an integral part of our recipes. It is especially used in South Indian foods to make a balance among sweet, sour, salty, and spicy components of foods. It is used with various recipes like baked kand, Chola Methi Dhokla, Gujarati Kadhi, curries, upmas, rasams to enhance the flavor and taste of the foodstuffs.
- Give special flavor to foods: When it is heated with oil or ghee and mixed the same in food, provide a unique flavor to the recipes.
- Used with sauces: Because of its pungent smell, it is used in curries, sauces, and pickles.
- Ferula asafoetida : Scientific name
- Devil’s dung in English
- Angustha-Gandha in Persian
- Ferula Asafoetida in French
- Stinkendes stechenkraut in German
- Perungayam in Tamil
- Perumkayam in Sinhalese
- Hing in Hindi
- Ingu in Kannada
- Kayam in Malayalam
- Inguva, Ingumo in Telgu