Cilantro medicinal benefits
Coriander or Dhaniya in Indian subcontinent, is extremely useful for multiple health purposes. Cilantro is an excellent appetizer, helps in proper secretion of enzymes and digestive juices in the stomach, stimulates digestion, peristaltic motion and prevents flatulence. It is a good source of dietary fiber and relieves intestinal gas, beneficial for constipations, piles and stomach pain. It is helpful for cough, removes bad smell from mouth and an excellent antiseptic. It removes phlegm, reduces fever and offers a feeling of coolness.
cc licensed ( BY ND ) flickr photo shared by Joi Ito
Nutritional facts of Coriander
Cilantro is packed with bunch of health and medicinal benefits. Due to its numerous nutritional values, it is also regarded as Wonder herb of the world. It is full of phytonutrients, antioxidants, essential oils, antiseptic, analgesic, aphrodisiac, fungicidal, natural stimulant, etc. It has adequate amount of vitamins A, C and K including with many essential oils and acids. The leaves are full of calcium, potassium, iron, manganese and sodium. 100 grams of Coriandrum sativum contains the following nutrients. Carbohydrate (3.67g), protein (2.13g), fat (0.52g), fiber (2.80g), energy (23 Kcal), folates (62 µg), niacin (1.11 mg), pantothenic acid (055 mg), pyridoxine (0.14mg), riboflavin (0.16 mg), thiamin (0.067mg), vitamin A (6748 IU), vitamin C (27mg), vitamin E (2.50 mg), vitamin K (310 mcg).
Surprising benefits of Cilantro
- Lowers cholesterol: Dhaniya lowers the level of bad cholesterol (LDL) and increases the amount of good cholesterol (HDL) due to presence of essential oils. The oils and different acids reduce the level of cholesterol in blood and prevent you from cardiovascular disease, strokes and heart attacks.
- Bowel movement: Dhaniya promotes smooth movement of the digestive system and regulates the bowel as well as liver movement.
- Good for diabetes: Cilantro stimulates the secretion of insulin from pancreas thus helps to regulates sugar level in blood.
- Alzheimer disease cure: Due to presence of good amount of vitamin K, it is also effective in case of Alzheimer disease.
- Prevents arthritis: The leaves are anti-inflammatory, which is helpful in relieving of arthritis pain. Coriander’s essential oils are good in case of anti rheumatic and anti arthritis properties.
- Healthy kidney: It prevents urinary tract infection and helpful in smooth discharge of urination. It also minimizes the possibility of kidney stone because of its diuretic and detoxifying properties.
- Good for skin: The presence of essential oils and acids are beneficial for skin inflammation like swelling caused by arthritis, anemia and malfunctioning of kidney. The features like disinfectant, detoxifying, antiseptic, antifungal and antioxidants show positive result against eczema, dryness and fungal infections.
- Pimples removal: A teaspoon of coriander juice, mixed with a pinch of turmeric powder, is an effective remedy for pimples, blackheads and dry skin.
- Gastritis treatment: When green leaves of it spread over cooked vegetables, reduce acidic nature of vegetables thereby minimize gas formation.
- Conjunctivitis: Freshly dried coriander is an excellent in treating conjunctivitis.
- Eye disease: The presence of beta-carotene, phyto-chemicals and anti-oxidants is beneficial in curing of eye related problems. Cilantro prevents macular degeneration, cataract and vision disorders. It is loaded with vitamin A, vitamin C, phosphorous and essential oils, all these save the eyes from stress and strain. The adequate amount of antioxidants eases redness, inflammation and itchiness in the eyes.
- Mouth ulcer home remedy: Coriander contains many essential oils including Citronelol, which acts as antiseptic and antimicrobial. These oils along with other bio-chemical compounds enhance the healing process of mouth ulcer. Gargling with boiled coriander water helps to cure and reduce the intensity of mouth ulcers.
- Bone strengthening: Dhaniay has adequate amount of calcium, which is good for overall health of bone. It is great for strengthening, growth and durability of bones. It also prevents osteoporosis.
- Treat digestion problems: There is an abundance of essential oils along with enzymes which ensures smooth digestion and peristaltic movement. The leaves are good for liver function and bowel movement. The filtrate part of coriander seed water (after soaking for a day) is effective in curing of upset stomach and prevents flatulence.
- Menstrual problems: Coriander helps to ease menstrual cramps as it regulates the enzymes and hormones. Boil the mix of cilantro (5 gm), water (1/2 litre) and sugar (1 tsp); now drink the extract thrice a day after straining. It is good in treating of menstrual disorders and heavy menstrual flow.
- Hair loss: Massage your skull with coconut oil and powdered coriander seed to prevent hair fall. It also stimulates the hair follicles.
- Ease constipation: Coriander is rich in dietary fiber. 100 gram of Dhaniya presents about 42 gm of fiber that ensures proper absorption of water and smooth constipation.
- Colon cancer prevention: The presence of flavonoids, antioxidants and fiber facilitates in prevention of colon cancer.
- Culinary uses: Coriander leaves are used as chutney in all the servings. The chutney is full of multiple advantages. The seeds powdered are used in confectionary, stews, sausages, cakes etc.
- Medicinal uses: It is carminative in nature and used for gripe water preparations. It is also good to prevent halitosis (unpleasant breath). It is also anti-septic, analgesic, aphrodisiac, antispasmodic, depurative, deodorant, fungicidal, lipolytic, stimulant and stomachic.
- Essential oils: The essential volatile oils are borneol, linalool, cineole, cymene, terpineol, dipentene, phellandrene and pinene.
- Antibiotic: Coriander contains antibiotic compound called dodecenal that kills the food borne bacteria called salmonella.
- Anti–cancer: The phyto-chemicals such as beta-carotene, vitamin C, and E, ferulic, caffeic acid, kaempferol and quercetin discourage to develop the carcinogenic cells.
- Anti–microbial: The volatile oils have anti-microbial properties and good for bacterial, fungal and yeast infections.
- Heavy metal detox: The mix of cilantro juice and chlorella powder is used as a heavy metal detox to detoxify mercury, aluminium and lead.
- Immunity booster: Many phytochemicals helps to develop the immunity of the body.
- Precautions: A person suffering from skin allergy should avoid taking of coriander. It is also suggested that the pregnant mother should consume it after consulting a physician.