Cilantro medicinal benefits
Coriander or Dhaniya in the Indian subcontinent is extremely useful for multiple health purposes. Cilantro is an excellent appetizer, helps in proper secretion of enzymes and digestive juices in the stomach, stimulates digestion, peristaltic motion, and prevents flatulence. It is a good source of dietary fiber and relieves intestinal gas, beneficial for constipation, piles, and stomach pain. It is helpful for cough, removes bad smell from the mouth, and an excellent antiseptic. It removes phlegm, reduces fever, and offers a feeling of coolness.
Nutritional facts of Coriander
Cilantro is packed with a bunch of health and medicinal benefits. Due to its numerous nutritional values, it is also regarded as the Wonder herb of the world. It is full of phytonutrients, antioxidants, essential oils, an antiseptic, analgesic, aphrodisiac, fungicidal, natural stimulant, etc. It has an adequate amount of vitamins A, C, and K including many essential oils and acids. The leaves are full of calcium, potassium, iron, manganese, and sodium. 100 grams of Coriandrum sativum contains the following nutrients. Carbohydrate (3.67g), protein (2.13g), fat (0.52g), fiber (2.80g), energy (23 Kcal), folates (62 µg), niacin (1.11 mg), pantothenic acid (055 mg), pyridoxine (0.14mg), riboflavin (0.16 mg), thiamin (0.067mg), vitamin A (6748 IU), vitamin C (27mg), vitamin E (2.50 mg), vitamin K (310 mcg).
Surprising Benefits of Cilantro
- Lowers cholesterol: Dhaniya lowers the level of bad cholesterol (LDL) and increases the amount of good cholesterol (HDL) due to the presence of essential oils. The oils and different acids reduce the level of cholesterol in the blood and prevent you from cardiovascular disease, strokes, and heart attacks.
- Bowel movement: Dhaniya promotes the smooth movement of the digestive system and regulates the bowel as well as liver movement.
- Good for diabetes: Cilantro stimulates the secretion of insulin from the pancreas thus helps to regulate sugar level in the blood.
- Alzheimer’s disease cure: Due to the presence of a good amount of vitamin K, it is also effective in the case of Alzheimer’s disease.
- Prevents arthritis: The leaves are anti-inflammatory, which is helpful in relieving arthritis pain. Coriander’s essential oils are good in the case of anti-rheumatic and anti-arthritis properties.
- Healthy kidney: It prevents urinary tract infection and helps in the smooth discharge of urination. It also minimizes the possibility of kidney stones because of its diuretic and detoxifying properties.
- Good for skin: The presence of essential oils and acids are beneficial for skin inflammation like swelling caused by arthritis, anemia, and malfunctioning of the kidney. The features like disinfectant, detoxifying, antiseptic, antifungal and antioxidants show positive results against eczema, dryness, and fungal infections.
- Pimples removal: A teaspoon of coriander juice, mixed with a pinch of turmeric powder, is an effective remedy for pimples, blackheads, and dry skin.
- Gastritis treatment: When green leaves of it spread overcooked vegetables, reduce the acidic nature of vegetables thereby minimize gas formation.
- Conjunctivitis: Freshly dried coriander is excellent in treating conjunctivitis.
- Eye disease: The presence of beta-carotene, phytochemicals, and antioxidants are beneficial in curing eye-related problems. Cilantro prevents macular degeneration, cataract, and vision disorders. It is loaded with vitamin A, vitamin C, phosphorous, and essential oils, all of these save the eyes from stress and strain. An adequate amount of antioxidants eases redness, inflammation, and itchiness in the eyes.
- Mouth ulcer home remedy: Coriander contains many essential oils including Citronelol, which acts as antiseptic and antimicrobial. These oils along with other biochemical compounds enhance the healing process of mouth ulcer. Gargling with boiled coriander water helps to cure and reduce the intensity of mouth ulcers.
- Bone strengthening: Dhaniay has an adequate amount of calcium, which is good for the overall health of bone. It is great for strengthening, growth, and durability of bones. It also prevents osteoporosis.
- Treat digestion problems: There is an abundance of essential oils along with enzymes that ensures smooth digestion and peristaltic movement. The leaves are good for liver function and bowel movement. The filtrate part of coriander seed water (after soaking for a day) is effective in curing of upset stomach and prevents flatulence.
- Menstrual problems: Coriander helps to ease menstrual cramps as it regulates the enzymes and hormones. Boil the mix of cilantro (5 gm), water (1/2 litre), and sugar (1 tsp); now drink the extract thrice a day after straining. It is good for treating menstrual disorders and heavy menstrual flow.
- Hair loss: Massage your skull with coconut oil and powdered coriander seed to prevent hair fall. It also stimulates the hair follicles.
- Ease constipation: Coriander is rich in dietary fiber. 100 grams of Dhaniya presents about 42 gm of fiber that ensures proper absorption of water and smooth constipation.
- Colon cancer prevention: The presence of flavonoids, antioxidants, and fiber facilitates the prevention of colon cancer.
- Culinary Uses: Coriander leaves are used as chutney in all the servings. The chutney is full of multiple advantages. The seeds powdered are used in confectionery, stews, sausages, cakes, etc.
- Medicinal uses: It is carminative in nature and used for gripe water preparations. It is also good to prevent halitosis (unpleasant breath). It is also antiseptic, analgesic, aphrodisiac, antispasmodic, depurative, deodorant, fungicidal, lipolytic, stimulant, and stomachic.
- Essential oils: The essential volatile oils are borneol, linalool, cineole, cymene, terpineol, dipentene, phellandrene, and pinene.
- Antibiotic: Coriander contains an antibiotic compound called duodenal that kills the foodborne bacteria called salmonella.
- Anti-cancer: The phytochemicals such as beta-carotene, vitamin C, and E, ferulic, caffeic acid, kaempferol, and quercetin discourage to develop the carcinogenic cells.
- Anti-microbial: The volatile oils have anti-microbial properties and good for bacterial, fungal, and yeast infections.
- Heavy metal detox: The mix of cilantro juice and chlorella powder is used as a heavy metal detox to detoxify mercury, aluminum, and lead.
- Immunity booster: Many phytochemicals helps to develop the immunity of the body.
- Precautions: A person suffering from skin allergy should avoid taking coriander. It is also suggested that the pregnant mother should consume it after consulting a physician.