Gotu kola overview
This ayurvedic medicinal plant is used as buddhi-vardhak or the enhancer of Intellect and wisdom. It is great for intellect and wisdom because the leaves have a strong resemblance to the human brain. It is known by different names in different languages. In Sanskrit, it is termed as Mandukparni, which refers to the leaves of the herb which resembles the claw of a frog. In the entire South Asia, it is used as a kaya-kalpa, a herb which assures longevity and freedom from geriatric problems. This medicinal plant is widely used in the formulation of drugs both in modern as well as traditional systems of medicine. In Ayurveda, it is as Rasayana, a rejuvenating drug.
Different names of gotu kola
The common names of gotu kala are given below.
- English: Indian pennywort, Gotu Kola, Thick-leaves pennywort, Water avelwort, Marsh Pennywort
- Hindi: Brahma-manuki, Bemgsag, Brahmi, Budhbrahmi, Mandukparni, Khulakhudi
- Sanskrit: Mandukparni
- Punjabi: Brahmi-buti
- Tamil: Vallarai
- Kannada: Ondelaga
Nutritional facts of gotu kola
Gotu kola is full of many important biochemical substances such as heteroside, saponoside, asiaticoside, triterpene acids, a glycoside, indocentellocide, an alkaloid hydrocotylin, resin, pectic acid, vitamin-C, a bitter compound, vellarin and volatile oil. Besides, brahmocide,
brahminocide, brahmic acid, isobrahmic acid, betulic acid, and stilbestrol are
also found in the Hydrocotyle Asiatica.
Medicinal benefits of gotu kola
Gotu kola is known to cure many diseases and disorders. The herb possesses bitter, acrid, sweet, cooling, and astringent properties. It acts as a medhya, rasayana, nervine tonic, stomachic, soporific, cardiac tonic, carminative, sedative, laxative, alterative, alexiteric, tranquilizer, decongestant, immuno-stimulant, and blood purifier. Brahmi is an anti-leprotic, anti-spasmodic, and anti-tumor herb. Besides, it promotes longevity, good memory, sleep, good voice, complexion, and rejuvenation. All these bio-chemicals are used in the preparation of many medicines and drugs. Simultaneously, it is also helpful in treating various diseases.
Top 10 benefits of gotu kola
- Gotu kola for skin: Five to twenty grains of Brahmi powder mixed with Vaseline, if used three times a day, both internally as well as externally, is helpful in the treatment of eczema, erysipelas, leprotic ulcers, syphilitic ulcer of second stage and in other skin problems. In Homoeopathic System of Medicine, it is widely used in skin disorders like,
Psoriasis, eczema, etc. It has been scientifically confirmed that the use of this herb in the cases of leprosy helps to induce the fast growth of skin, hair, and nails.
- Healthy hair: It is helpful in the prevention of greying of hair and also prevents hair fall. For healthy hair, it takes an equal proportion of Brahmi juice and coconut oil. Boil it; make it cool and use it in the scalp of the head region. This is Brahmi oil and can be used as a massage on the head in headache, mental weakness, dryness of scalp and to induce concentration of mind. It has been clinically proved that the use of this herb in the cases of leprosy and to induce the fast growth of skin, hair, and nails.
- Increase RBC hemoglobin: The herb has an anabolic effect helps to increase the
level of RB.C hemoglobin percentage, blood sugar, serum cholesterol, vital
capacity and total protein.
- Nerve tonic: It is considered as a nervine tonic. The dry Brahmi churan benefits in mental debility, stress, strain, tension, and depressive conditions. The fresh juice of Brahmi leaves processed with the cow’s ghee in hysteria and insanity, which ensures seizure
- Female sterility: In female sterility, Centella is effective when combined with chotakulpha (trichodesma indicum). Both should be dried under shade. The equal quantity of both herbs powdered with sugar candy in the ratio 2:1. Three grams of this
powder should be taken twice a day with cow’s milk for 3 consecutive days
- Asthma: In the Unani System of Medicine, gotu kola, is used in the treatment of
hiccup, asthma, bronchitis, burning sensation in the urine, and headache due
to stress and strain. It is also used to increase the appetite.
- Leprosy: The extract of the Centella Asiatica is said to improve the general health of leprosy patients and has also been found to break up leprosy nodules.
- Cancer: The herb has immunostimulant activity, used as a chemoprotective drug in chronic ailments along with modern chemotherapy. The scientific community has recommended this herb as a substitute for the modern drug (INTRON-A) which is generally given to cancer patients to increase the immunity.
- Epilepsy: The mix of dried Brahmi powder (125 mg), Shankhpushpi powder ( 125 mg), Mukta Pishti (65 mg), Suva ran Bhasam(65 mg), and Honey 1 teaspoonful. It is suggested to mix all together and take an empty stomach early in the morning. It is beneficial for epilepsy and nervous weakness.
- Calcium supplement: The mix of Brahmi Churan(65-125 mg) and Ghee(5 rnl). Mix it well, boil, and processed well. It can be given in cases of rickets or bone brittleness among children.
Top 10 uses of gotu kola
- Brain: Gotu kola is an important medicinal herb for the proper development and growth of the brain. It is considered the best revitalizing herb for the brain cells and the nerves. The leaves have a marked energizing effect on the cells of the brain and are said to brighten the brain indefinitely. It is not a stimulant but is considered as a brain food.
- Tiredness: If you have problems with fatigue and tiredness, it is better to take Gotu kola. It is a reputed tonic for tiredness and fatigue which is felt after mental work.
- Memory loss: The plant is used to improve memory. The herb is used to
improve the general mental ability of mentally retarded children. Powdered leaves in small doses in cow’s milk are given for mental weakness and to improve memory.
- Stammering: If somebody has the conditions of stammering, it is better to use of gota kola. One or two leaves are given early in the morning to cure hesitating.
- Convulsion: The aqueous extract of Gotu kola helps to decrease the motor activity thus delays convulsion.
- Nervous system: The regular use of the medicinal herb is beneficial for the smooth functioning of nerves.
- Mental disorders: It helps to ease out the symptoms of mental disorders.
- Headache: It is good to reduce the frequency of headaches.
- Gout: Brahmi increases the blood circulation in the body and thus, is used in
gout and uricourea
- Sleeplessness: In sleeplessness, Brahmi churan is administered in the dose of 3 gram
with cow’s milk. Sometimes, 20-25 leaves are immersed in cow’s milk and is
taken internally for seven days.
Precautions of gotu kola
The excessive use of this herb should be avoided. Excess or frequent use of this medicinal herb may cause body aches and giddiness. Therefore, instead of using raw herb leaves as medicine, one cab roast or boil the leaves also.
1 thought on “Wonder Benefits Of Gotu Kola (Centella asiatica) For Skin, Hair and Health”
Gotukola is good for complexion too.