What is camel pose?
Camel pose yoga is also known as Ustrasana (उष्ट्रासन). In the camel pose, the thighs, trunk, and head resemble the neck of a camel. Therefore, the name has been suggested as a camel pose. It is associated with so many health benefits as the asana gives a wonderful stretch to the thighs, abdomen, thoracic region, ribcage, and throat, thereby beneficial in the smooth functioning of lungs, hearts, and other essential body parts.
Health Benefits of Camel Pose
However, there are so many essential benefits of the camel pose. But here, five critical benefits are being enumerated, experienced by the writer who has been practising yoga for the last ten years. I have also given therapy to many yoga practitioners and found the efficacy of this yoga.
- Camel pose for a flat stomach: There is a large scale of queries on the internet regarding how to get a flat stomach fast. No doubt, some of these exercises and diet plans are good for reducing belly fat. However, one of the best ways to get a flat stomach is by practising the camel pose step by step. If one practices this yoga technically and regularly, considering awareness, breathing, and maintaining the same for a certain period, belly fat burning can be observed even within a week. Thus, periodically practising this asana for a certain period also ensures weight loss. This not only reduces abdominal fats but plays a vital role in the proper functioning of abdominal organs.
- Lung disease prevention: A large number of people are suffering from respiratory-related disorders and diseases, especially in towns and cities, due to high levels of pollution. These diseases sometimes happen due to improper expansion and contraction of the lungs. Practising the camel pose helps to expand your chest and thoracic region and ward off nasal congestion, sneezing, blocking of respiratory passage, bronchitis, and managing other ailments related to the lungs. Ushtrasana also expands the ribcage and makes the associated muscles more supple and flexible, thus facilitating deeper breathing.
- Thyroid prevention and management: These days, thyroid problems like hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism have become a common phenomenon. Practising this pose under the supervision of a yoga therapist, not a yoga instructor, will help manage the thyroid. The asana facilitated smooth massage to the thyroid gland, thereby helping to ensure the proper release of thyroxin hormone, which is suitable for thyroid problems. However, to get maximum advantage of this asana for the thyroid, one has to perform it peacefully and concentrate the mind on the appropriate stretching of the thyroid region.
- Healthy spine: This is one of the best yoga poses for spine stretching and health. The practising camel or half camel pose gives suitable extension to the spine and ensures vertebral loosening. While performing this asana, the shoulders are pulled backwards, and the chest is pushed forward, which helps to correct rounded shoulders and stooping back. Those who are suffering from backache and neck ache should perform this asana. However, in the case of backache and neck ache, one should practice it before a yoga therapist so that suitable measures may be taken care of.
- Diabetes management: Due to the beautiful stretch to the whole chest and abdomen, at the same time imparting a thorough massage to the internal organs. As a result, it helps alleviate various abdominal ailments associated with the kidneys, pancreas, intestines, liver, etc. Appropriate massage to the pancreas helps to provide insulin hormone, thus good in managing diabetes since it allows for suitable stretching to the organs related to the digestive system, therefore good for digestion also.