Camel yoga pose
Ustrasana is named a camel pose because of its resemblance. It consists of two words: Ustra means camel and asana indicates a yoga pose. Camel pose gives adequate stretch to the thighs, abdomen, ribcage, and throat. This asana helps to open the heart chakra (anahata).
How to do camel pose
The different steps of ustrasana are being given below:
- First of all, kneel down on the floor.
- Keep your thighs and feet together.
- Toes should be pointing back and resting on the floor.
- Bring the knees and the feet about one foot apart and stand on the knees.
- Inhale, bend backward slowly.
- Exhale; place the right palm on the right heel and left palm on the left heel.
- The thighs should be vertical to the floor and the head tilted backward.
- The weight of the body should be evenly supported by the arms and legs.
- Maintain the pose as long as you can.
- Exhale; come to the original position slowly.
Camel pose benefits
- Reduces belly fat: The regular practice of camel pose helps to reduce belly fat.
- Chest: This asana provides optimum stretch to the chest and abdomen thus good for ailments associated with the chest and abdomen.
- Good for liver: It imparts thorough massage to the internal organs like the liver, kidney, pancreas, and intestine of the body.
- Expansion of lungs: This helps to expand the ribcage and the associated muscles. Thus facilities expansion of lungs.
- Spine stretching: The asana helps to suitable stretching to the spine, thus helpful in vertebral loosening.
- Correct stooping back: While performing this asana, the shoulders are pulled backward and the chest is pushed forwards, which helps to correct rounded shoulders and stooping back.
- Thyroid: The asana massages the thyroid gland, thus good for thyroid person.’
- Stiff back: Those who are suffering from backache and neck ache should perform this asana.
- Improve digestion: It gives appropriate stretching to the organs related with the digestive system thus good for digestion.
- Menstrual discomfort: A person experiencing menstrual difficulties should practice this yogasana.
Courtesy: Morarji Desai National Institute of Yoga
Precautions of camel pose
- Persons with severe back problems such as lumbago should strictly avoid it.
- Avoid, if having enlarged thyroid.
- Those suffering from heart disease and hernia should avoid it.
- It should be skipped both in case of high or low blood pressure.
- Avoid in back injury
- One shouldn’t perform in neck injury.