Tvak (Cinnamon) overview
The word Tvak indicates skin in Sanskrit. Tvak or cinnamon is full of health and medicinal benefits and has been used since the ancient times. It is one of the commonest household spices, used since centuries. Its home remedy is of greater significance and used in remedy of multiple health conditions such as loss of appetite, indigestion, dental pain and also used as a deodorant. So, if you are kitchen person and fond of cooking, you should ensure of having dalchini in the kitchen shelve.
Photo source: Pixabay.com
Cinnamon has a long history. Initially, its record can be traced in the Torah, the Jewish religious text. The Chinese and the Roman were also well versed about the medicinal value of its bark. An elaborative description has been given about Dalchini’s medicinal uses and health benefits in Ayurvedic texts.
Different names of tvak
- English: Cinnamon
- Hindi: Dalchini
- Latin: Cinnamomum zeylanicum
- Marathi: Dalchini
- Sanskrit: Tvak
Cinnamon plant description
Tvak is a middle sized evergreen plant with 9-12 meters height. The leaves are opposite, coriaceous, glabrous and signing above. The flowers are small and on long terminal. After getting bruised, every parts of the plant emanates aroma. While drying, the bark shrinks, and curls into a cylinder or quill.
Parts used of cinnamon
- Dried inner bark of shoots
- Dried branches
Cinnamon Ayurvedic properties
- Taste: Pungent, biter and sweet
- Post digestive effect: Pungent
- Potency: Hot
- Attributes: Light, dry and sharp
- Dosha: Alleviates Kapha and Vata, aggravates Pitta
10 Best benefits of cinnamon (Tvak)
- Hair health: It is one of the important ingredients in cosmetic products, especially for fragrant hair washes and bath powders.
- Skin beauty: The application of the thin paste on face helps to ameliorate the dispigmentation. However, it should be washed within 2 minutes as it irritates the skin
- Sexual disorders: The gentle massage with cinnamon oil on penile skin is beneficial and recommended in dysfunction of penile erection.
- Teeth pain: Cinnamon oil is effective to teeth pain. For this, soak the cotton swab in cinnamon oil and place it in the dental cavities. It not only reduces the but also minimizes infection. Chewing of Dalchini is also good to strengthen the teeth, refreshens the mouth and overcome with bad breathe.
- Menstrual bleeding: The use of cinnamon with Ashokarishta ensures to curb heavy menstrual bleeding.
- Joint pain: The regular massage of cinnamon oil relieves the pain and swelling in joints.
- Voice clarity: The decoction of cinnamon, coriander seeds and dried ginger when taken 2tbsp, 3 times daily is helpful to treat hoarseness of voice. It is also effective in case of cough, asthma and pleurisy.
- Promotes appetite: The combination of three aromatics, viz. Tvak, Ela (cardamom) and Tamalpatra, which is known as Trijata, a unique product, used in the preparation of medicated wines, which helps to promote appetite and ensures good digestion.
- Cough remedy: The decoction of cinnamon and Pippali (Piper longum) if taken 3 tbsp, 3 times daily is helpful in reliving cough especially due to Kapha.
- Dysentery: Take the mix of cinnamon powder, Shala (Shorearobusta) and the pulp of raw Bilva (Aegle marmelos) fruits in 1: 1:12 proportions. Take this mixture 1tbsp, 3 times daily along with curd and little jiggery. It helps to abate dysentery.
10 Medicinal uses of cinnamon (Tvak)
- It is loaded with anti-oxidants.
- Reduces the risk of heart attack
- Insulin resistance
- Good in case of neuro-degenerative diseases
- Anti-bacterial and anti-fungal.
- Fights HIV
- Fights Alzheimer’s
Nutritional facts of cinnamon
It is loaded with so many minerals. The 100 gram of cinnamon is consisted of energy (247 KJ), Carbohydrate (80.6g), Sugars (2.2g), Dietary fiber (53.1g), Fat (1.2g), Protein (4g), Vitamins (A, B complex, C, E & K) and minerals like Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorous, Potassium, Sodium and Zinc.
Species of cinnamon
- Cinnamomum cassia: it is the most common form of cinnamon
Culinary uses of cinnamon (Tvak)
- It is most importantly use as spice.
- It is an important condiment for flavouring material.
- Use in preparation of Mexican chocolate.
- To make the toast flavorful.
- It is used in pickling.
- Use in the preparation of Persian cuisine.