Castor oil is known for its multi-purpose benefits since the ancient times. Castor oil has numerous health benefits and used in the fields viz. medicine, industry and pharmacy. It is one of the important ingredients in skin beauty products, medications, foods, biodiesel fuel, lubricant, etc. Besides this, it has many medicinal uses in case of eye irritation, stimulating labor pain, constipation, skin allergies, etc.
Top 10 surprising benefits of castor oil
Image source: Pixabay.com
- Excellent laxative: Castor oil is one of the wonderful natural laxatives due to the presence of ricinoleic acid, plays an important role to empty the bowels. Thus provides great relief from constipation.
- Hair conditioner: Castor oil is an important hair moisturizer. It strengthens the hair shaft thus decreases the chances of hair brokerage. It is also good in the treatment of dandruff seborrhoeic dermatitis, skin inflammation, etc.
- Acne prevention: The oil has antimicrobial properties, thus fights against the growth of bacteria. Being a natural moisturizer, it soothes the irritated skin, which causes acne.
- Wonderful moisturizer: Castor oil is rich in ricinoleic acid, which helps in moisturizing and hydration of the skin. Due to which, it used in many cosmetic products like lotions, makeup and cleansers.
- Wound healing: It acts like as a moisturizer thus promotes healing and prevents pain in the injured area. The use of this oil stimulates tissue growth and prevents dryness thus good for wound healing.
- Anti-inflammatory: Due to the presence of ricinoleic acid, it has huge anti-inflammatory effects. The application of the oil ensures reducing in inflammation and pain.
- Treating arthritis: Castor oil is an excellent lubricant to reduce inflammation and also used as analgesic.
- Treating infertility: In some research, it has been shown that the use of castor oil helps to unblock the fallopian tube. But more studies have to be carried out in this direction.
- Delay the signs of aging: It has anti-inflammatory effects, fights the free radicals that accelerate the aging. It can be used under eyes, around the mouth, forehead, chin and neck.
- Treating hemorrhoids: Because of its inflammatory effects, it’s application has good impact upon treating of hemorrhoids.
Medicinal uses of castor oil
Some of the medicinal uses of castor oils are being given below:
- It is one of the best laxatives.
- Inducing labor pain
- Used to treat gallstones
- It is used to treat plantar heel
- In controlling of fibroids
- Use in endometriosis treatment
- Psoriasis and eczema
- Genital warts
- Chapped lips
- It is also used with modern drugs like
- Miconazole (Antifungal agent)
- Paciltaxel used in chemotherapy
- Sandimmune used in organ transplant
- Nelfinavir mesylate used in HIV
- Tacrolimus-immunosuppresive drug
- Xenaderm ointment fir skin ulcer
- Aci-Jel to maintain acidity of vagina
- Optive-Plus for artificial tears
Side effects of castor oil
Though, castor oil is known for unknown potential benefits, yet, some precautions should be taken while eating of it.
- It is safe in small doses.
- Excess consuming of it leads to abdominal cramps.
- It should be avoided if somebody has perennial constipation.
- It facilitates to birth pain. Therefore, it shouldn’t be consumed during pregnancy.
- Dehydration and electrolytic imbalances.
- Skin allergy
- The plant contain harmful allergens that can cause permanent nerve damage.
Nutritional facts of castor oil
Castor oil is triglyceride, which constitute of ricinoleic acid (90%). It also contains other fatty acids like oleate, linoleates, alpha linoleic acid, stearic acid, palmiltic acid, dihydroxystraric acid, etc.
Castor oil products
It is important oil that is used in the manufacturing of different types of products.
- Skin care products
- Hydraulic acid
- Brake fluids
- Cold resistant plastics