Castor oil is known for its multi-purpose benefits since ancient times. Castor oil has numerous health benefits and used in the fields viz. medicine, industry, and pharmacy. It is one of the important ingredients in skin beauty products, medications, foods, bio-diesel fuel, lubricants, etc. Besides this, it has many medicinal uses in case of eye irritation, stimulating labor pain, constipation, skin allergies, etc.
Top 10 surprising benefits of castor oil
- Excellent laxative: Castor oil is one of the wonderful natural laxatives due to the presence of ricinoleic acid, plays an important role to empty the bowels. Thus, provides great relief from constipation.
- Hair conditioner: Castor oil is an important hair moisturizer. It strengthens the hair shaft thus decreases the chances of hair brokerage. It is also good in the treatment of dandruff seborrhoeic dermatitis, skin inflammation, etc.
- Acne prevention: The oil has antimicrobial properties, thus fights against the growth of bacteria. Being a natural moisturizer, it soothes the irritated skin, which causes acne.
- Wonderful moisturizer: Castor oil is rich in ricinoleic acid, which helps in moisturizing and hydrating the skin. Due to which, it used in many cosmetic products like lotions, makeup, and cleansers.
- Wound healing: It acts as a moisturizer thus promotes healing and prevents pain in the injured area. The use of this oil stimulates tissue growth and prevents dryness thus good for wound healing.
- Anti-inflammatory: Due to the presence of ricinoleic acid, it has huge anti-inflammatory effects. The application of the oil ensures a reduction in inflammation and pain.
- Treating arthritis: Castor oil is an excellent lubricant to reduce inflammation and also used as an analgesic.
- Treating infertility: In some research, it has been shown that the use of castor oil helps to unblock the fallopian tube. But more studies have to be carried out in this direction.
- Delay the signs of aging: It has anti-inflammatory effects, fights the free radicals that accelerate aging. It can be used under the eyes, around the mouth, forehead, chin, and neck.
- Treating hemorrhoids: Because of its inflammatory effects, its application has a good impact on treating hemorrhoids.
Medicinal uses of castor oil
Some of the medicinal uses of castor oils are being given below:
- It is one of the best laxatives.
- Inducing labor pain
- Used to treat gallstones
- It is used to treat plantar heel
- In controlling fibroids
- Use in endometriosis treatment
- Psoriasis and eczema
- Genital warts
- Chapped lips
- It is also used with modern drugs like
- Miconazole (Antifungal agent)
- Paciltaxel used in chemotherapy
- Sandimmune used in organ transplant
- Nelfinavir mesylate used in HIV
- Tacrolimus-immunosuppressive drug
- Xenaderm ointment fir skin ulcer
- Aci-Jel to maintain the acidity of the vagina
- Optive-Plus for artificial tears
Side effects of castor oil
Though, castor oil is known for unknown potential benefits, yet, some precautions should be taken while eating it.
- It is safe in small doses.
- Excess consumption of it leads to abdominal cramps.
- It should be avoided if somebody has perennial constipation.
- It facilitates birth pain. Therefore, it shouldn’t be consumed during pregnancy.
- Dehydration and electrolytic imbalances.
- Skin allergy
- The plant contains harmful allergens that can cause permanent nerve damage.
Nutritional facts of castor oil
Castor oil is triglyceride, which constitutes ricinoleic acid (90%). It also contains other fatty acids like oleate, linoleates, alpha linoleic acid, stearic acid, palmiltic acid, dihydroxystraric acid, etc.
Castor oil products
It is important to oil that is used in the manufacturing of different types of products.
- Skincare products
- Hydraulic acid
- Brake fluids
- Cold-resistant plastics