Amla is the greatest boon to humanity and one of the effective traditional herbal medicines, which had been used to treat and manage diseases since ancient times. Hardly any people are unaware of its importance and significance as it is associated with multiple health and medicinal benefits. Indian Gooseberry is the reservoir of minerals, vitamins, and other biochemical substances. To some extent, it is bitter in taste but the ayurvedic marvel can be used in many forms such as eaten raw, juice, chutneys, pickles, Murabba, and used with other recipes using its powder.
Top facts about Amla
- It is an excellent source of vitamin C.
- Amla juice is the best tonic to make you younger longer
- It is the integral component of Triphala, an ayurvedic formulation, which is used to cure many diseases.
- Amla balances the three Doshas-Vata, Pitta, and Kapha.
- In India, it is considered a sacred tree.
- It prevents cancer due to the presence of some important polyphenols.
- It is packed with all nutrients, accessible to all because of its lower price Rs. 15/kilo.
Top benefits of Amla
- Alma for hair: Amla is good to prevent hair loss, hair fall and plays a vital role in the overall health of hair.
- Drinking Amla juice is good to prevent hair fall, hair loss, dandruff and split ends because of abundance in protein.
- The mix of juices of amla and lemon when applying over the scalp and left it for 20 minutes followed by washing helps to strengthen the hair follicles and hair shaft. It also enhances hair luster, color, and pigmentation.
- Regular intake of Amla juice makes your hair darker and thicker and also prevent greying.
- Applying the paste of amla helps to make your hair grow and dark color.
- Amla prevents baldness due to the presence of carotene and iron.
- Amla ensures proper absorption of calcium that directly or indirectly beneficial for lustrous hair including bones, teeth, and nails.
2. Amla for glowing skin: It is good for skin beauty.
- The application of Amla juice over the face helps to fight wrinkles, pimples, acne etc.
- Drinking the juice is equally beneficial to make your skin glow. It makes your skin fresh by removing the dead cells when applied externally.
3. Amla to burn fat: Amla is good for weight loss, fat burning, and those who are obese.
- It has a higher level of amino acid that helps to shed unnecessary fats from the body.
- Amla is diuretic in nature, which means it increases the frequency and amount of urine thereby releasing toxins, waste products from the body. Since urine is also composed of fat. Releasing more urine means shedding more fats from the body.
4. Amla for eyes: Amla prevents many eye-related problems such as cataract, nearsightedness, intra-ocular, vision improvement, etc. The presence of vitamin A and carotene overcomes many problems related to the eyes.
5. Prevents cough and cold: The mix of fresh Amla juice (2tbsp) and honey (2tbsp), if taken daily, helps to eradicate the problems of cough and cold.
6. Cure mouth ulcer: It helps to cure mouth ulcers if it gargles along with water. The mixture should be Amla juice (2tbsp) and half a glass of water.
7. Control diabetes: The regular consumption of its juice (2-3 tbsp) daily helps to lower the level of sugar in the blood thus controls diabetes. Amla stimulates the pancreas Islet of Langerhans which further regulates the suitable secretion of insulin hormone.
8. Amla for healthy heart: Regular intake of amla means you are making your heart healthy and fit.
- It lowers the level of cholesterol and strengthens the cardiac muscles thus smooth the pumping of blood and oxygen to the entire body.
- The presence of chromium prevents plaque formation in the blood vessels thus save you from strokes and cardiac problems.
- Iron content ensures more oxy-haemo circulation.
- The various biochemical substances present in it ensure the better functioning of the heart by maintaining blood pressure and preventing strokes.
9. Amla for digestion: It is good for digestion and assimilation of foods.
- It ensures to flush out toxins from the body, being alkaline in nature, balances, and strengthening the digestion process.
- It has an adequate amount of fiber and roughage that make you relieve from constipation and indigestion.
10. Amla to relives asthma: Take amla juice (2tbsp) and honey (2tbsp) and drink the same on regular basis, is helpful to control asthma, bronchitis, allergic asthma, respiratory congestion, chronic cough, and cold.
Amla is known by different names in different regions of the world.
- Botanical name: Phyllanthus Emblica
- English name: Indian Gooseberry
- Hindi: Amla
- Indonesia: Balakka
- Bengali: Amloki
- Chinese: Anmole
- Kannda: Bettada neilkkayi
- Malaysia: Melaka
- Malyalam: neilli
- Marathi: avala
- Punjabi: Aula
- Urdy: awla
- Telgu: Usiri kaay
- Maithili: Dhatric
Amla juice precautions
- One should take fresh amla juice prepared at home.
- Avoid market prepared juice as it is added with flavored and preservatives.
- When you bring amla, wash it properly before eating.