Bala meaning and introduction
The bala ayurvedic herb has been used for beautifying purposes since the ancient times. In ayurveda, bala is one of the important herbs, which is used for various purposes like weight loss, skin glowing, boosting physical stamina, body building, aphrodisiac, etc. The herb enhances the beauty along with Ashoka and Shatavari. The plant originated in India and Sri Lanka. Stem and roots are the part of the plant which is used as medicine.
Health benefits of sida cordifolia
- Weigh loss: The ayurvedic herb contains stimulant alkaloids, which plays an important role in shedding of extra fats thus good for weight loss.
- Hair: A plaster made up of Bala, Jatamansi, Amalaki and Kushtha is applied to hair to promote the growth of hair.
- Skin glowing: It is said that since the ancient times, sida cordifolia has been used to increase the beauty of kings and queen. The herb enhances the beauty along with Ashoka and Shatavari.
- Asthma: It is good to relive chest congestion and helpful in case of bronchitis and asthma.
- Vata disorders: It is considered as the best nervine tonic and rejuvenative for all kinds of Vata disorders.
- Tuberculosis: The decoction of its root is highly beneficial for tuberculosis, especially when taken with ghee and honey.
- Pain: The regular use of this herb is beneficial in overcoming of arthritis and joint pains. It also helps to reduce the stiffness of joints.
- Sperm count: The use of this medicinal herb is helpful to increase both quality and quantity of sperm, thus beneficial in case of male and female infertility. It also controls pre ejaculation of sperms.
- Piles: It is quite effective for piles. The cooked leaves are generally used to treat bleeding piles.
- Swelling: The massage with its oil is good in swelling. The crushed leaves are also used for wound dressing.
10 Medicinal uses of sida cordifolia
- It is used as analgesic, anti-inflammatory and hypoglycemic agent.
- Since it is anti-inflammatory, it is used to treat inflammation of wounds.
- Bala is diuretic and stimulates central nervous system.
- It s used as rejuvenative, nutritive and stimulant of the heart.
- It is used as milk decoction with sugar to improve the general health and curb the sexual debility.
- The use of country mallow is taken as immunity boosting food.
- Since, it is anabolic to muscle tissue, which leads it to one of the best supplements for athletes.
- In case of facial palsy, paralysis and spondylosis, its medicated oil is used as massage. The massage of it also helps to increase muscle tone.
- It helps to remove excess mucous from the body.
- It is used as diuretic i.e. helps to increase the amount of urine excretion.
Nutritional facts of bala
Sida cordifolia is having some important bio-chemical substances such as fatty oils, phytosterol, resin, resin acids, mucin, potassium nitrate, ephedra, pseudoephedra, sterculic acid, malvalic acid, saponine, hypaphroine, palmatic acid, stearic acid, etc.
Side effects of sida cordifolia
There are some precautions of bala. All these have to be taken care of.
- It contains ephedra, which may cause serious consequences, even death.
- Memory loss
- High blood pressure
- It can increase Kapha.
- Disturbed sleep
Different names of bala
- Hindi: Barial
- Latin: Sida cordifolia
- English: Country mallow
- Bengali: Berela
- Sanskrit: Bala
- Kannada: Chitturharalu
- Malyalam: Katturam
- Telgu: Cherubenda
- Marathi: Bala
- Gujarati: Jangli methi
Ayurvedic properties of bala
- Rasa (taste): Sweet
- Guna (physical properties): Light and sticky
- Vriya (potency): Cold
- Vipaka (metabolic activities): Sweet
- Attributes: Heavy, unctuous and slimy
- Dosha: Alleviates Vata and Pitta
- Action: Tonic, rejuvenative, aphrodisiac, augments ojas
There are four varieties of Bala mentioned in ayurvedic texts.
- Batyalaka (Sida cordifolia)
- Mahabala (Sida rhomboidea)
- Atibala (Sida rhombifolia)
- Nagabala (Sida alba)
Bala powder uses and benefits
Bala powder has healing properties, helps to balance tridoshas (Vata, Pitta and Kapha) thus protects the body from various diseases and disorders. The powder is used as appetizer and enriched with anti-oxidants. Being a CNS-depressant, it is beneficial for anxiety and sleep disorder patients. The powder is also used to remove general weakness and building up of stamina.