Food plays a vital role in the overall smooth functioning of the body. The different food nutrients, viz. carbohydrate, protein, fat, vitamins, minerals and roughage, are essential for the growth and development of the body. Out of these, there are many nutrients in foods viz. lemon, garlic, ginger, turmeric, etc. are effective, especially in making the immune system strong thereby preventing you from viral infections including COVID-19. Let’s have a glimpse of immune-boosting foods that will help you to prevent from falling sick.
10 foods to boost your immunity
- Citrus fruits: Citrus fruits i.e. lemon, orange, grapefruit, limes, and amla are full of vitamin C and are known to produce white blood cells (WBC) and enhance the body’s immunity. These are also useful to combat infections. However, one thing should be noted since vitamin C is produced or stored by our body, so its intake should be regular.
- Garlic: Garlic contains a sulfur-containing biochemical substance called allicin. This compound is known to strengthen the immune system and also helpful to lower blood pressure and prevent hardening of arteries.
- Ginger: Besides boosting the immune system, ginger is suitable for cough and cold, sore throat, asthma, and pain. It contains dermcidin, an anti-bacterial agent that protects the body from bacteria, viruses, and other infections. Regular eating of this food helps to develop resistance against microbes.
- Broccoli: Broccoli is considered a superfood because of the presence of numerous vitamins and minerals. It also contains vitamins A, C, and E, including fibre and antioxidants. Having it on your dishes is helpful to protect you from many diseases and infections and nourishes your weakened immune system.
- Spinach: Spinach is abundant with biochemical substances and antioxidants. It contains beneficial antioxidants, viz. flavonoids, carotenoids, vitamin C, vitamin E, beta-carotene, manganese, zinc, and selenium. All of these make it for infection-fighting and enhancing the immune system. It is beneficial for the heart, blood pressure, and healthy development of bone. Due to its numerous benefits, spinach is considered the healthiest food in the world.
- Yogurt: Yogurt is full of vital nutrients. Yoghurt is the best source of protein, calcium, and potassium. It also contains calcium, vitamin B2, B5, vitamin D, magnesium, potassium, phosphorous, iodine, amino acid, and vitamin B12. Yogurt has a great power to enhance the immunity of the body. It protects from microorganisms by building the immunity of the body.
- Turmeric: Turmeric is known for its multi-purpose medicinal uses and health benefits. The use of it helps to clear phlegm, mucous and other watery substances from the nasal passage thus helping to energise the respiratory system. It is good for cell regeneration and also helps to improve the immunity of the body.
- Green Tea: Green tea contains many essential compounds such as flavonoids, Epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG), and L-theanine. All these photo-chemicals and antioxidants are good for boosting the immune system naturally.
- Papaya: Papaya has enzymes like papain and chymopapain, which reduce inflammation. Papaya has lots of nutrients, viz. Vitamin A, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B3, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B9, Vitamin C, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorous, Potassium, and sodium. All these macro and micronutrients are suitable for the overall development of the body.
- Blueberries: Blueberries can fight against bacterial and viral attacks. These have many important photo-nutrients like vitamin C, vitamin E, B-complex, anthocyanin, selenium, manganese, zinc, copper, and iron, which enhance the resistance power of the body. Significantly, the high levels of vitamin C help to boost the immune system, thus preventing diseases like colds, flu, and other infectious diseases.
Foods and diet that weaken the immune system
- Fast food
- Fruits and vegetables that are ripe with pesticide
- Soda-related diet
- sugary products
- Food products that contain gluten
- Refined oils
Foods to Boost kid’s immune System
- Sweet potatoes