Rasayana, or essence of rasa, is known for rejuvenation, preservation and anti-ageing.
Uses of Rasayana chiktisa
- Known for preservation and replenishment of energy
- It means youthfulness
- Rejuvenation therapy
- Relaxation therapy
- Nourishes the body and prevents chronic disorders
- Increases intellect
- Enhanced physical strength
- Boosts immunity
- Repairs wear and tear on the body
- Restores and revitalises body functions
- Improves mental competence
- For skin glowing and beauty
Benefits of Rasayana
‘Rasayana’ is divided into two parts: Rasa means nutrient fluid, whereas ‘ayana’ indicates a way. Thus, Rasayana is a way by which one gets the best quality of nutrients and vital fluid.
- It strengthens Dhatus Srotasas and maintains the equilibrium of Tridosha.
- Rasayana herb is to improve microcirculation and tissue perfusion.
- Promote memory
- Promote intelligence
- Immunity against diseases
- Preservation of youth, lustre, complexion and voice
- Maintenance of optimum strength of body and senses
- Rasayana acts both on the body as well as on the mind. Since psychosomatic diseases afflict both the body and mind, such rasayanas of specific action have precise roles in managing such conditions.
- It adds life into years but not years into life.
- Increases vigour and vitality
- Give the feeling of general well-being and provide complexion.
- Improves metabolism
- Rejuvenative and anabolic
- Increases resistance and immunity
- Sharpens memory, mental acuity and intelligence
Type of Rasayana
Rasayanas are divided into three categories according to their utility.
- Target-oriented rasayanas: These are taken and used with a specific purpose, e.g., to improve Medhashakti or memory. One can take Brahmi (Centella Asiatica), Brahm Rasayana, Shankhapushpi, Saraswtarishatam, Ashwagandha Gritam, Naladadi Gritam, etc.
- Restorative rasayanas: These are used after recovery from illness to restore strength, vigour and vitality, e.g., Chyavanprasham, Amritaprasham, Ashwagandha Gritam and Trifla Gritam, etc.
- Nitya rasayanas: These are good to maintain general health e.g., Ksheera
Ashwagandha Gritam, Jeevantyadi Gritam, Trifla Gritam, etc.
Rasayanas for brain development
These herbs which increase memory are called Medhya Rasayana or brain tonics. Students should take it to sharpen their memory. It is also suitable for older adults to prevent memory loss. Some of the brain tonics formulations are given below.
- Taking the extract of Brahmi leaves (10ml) daily in the morning is good for the brain.
- Using Mulaithi Churna (3gm) with cow’s milk dairy in the morning is beneficial.
- Giloy juice (10ml) with sugar candy and water daily in the morning.
- Shankhapushpi’s soaked roots and flowers overnight, followed by filtering and drinking the same in the morning.
- Take an equal proportion of Brahmi, Shankhapushpi, Amla, Giloy and Jatamansi powder. Mix it well. Now, use 3 gm of water daily in the morning and evening.
Rasayanas for women’s health
- Rasayanas are suitable for women’s beauty, vigour, and vitality and to combat post-menopausal symptoms.
- Take Harad Churan (1gm) and Amla Churan (2-3gm) may be taken with milk daily in the morning.
- Taking one marmalade of Amla daily in the morning with milk is beneficial.
- Using Chyavanprash or Sukumar Gritam 10 gm daily with milk is beneficial.
- Juice of Brahmi or Mulaithi Churan or Giloy or Shankhapushpi may be taken along with milk.
- However, these formulations should be avoided by pregnant women.
- In Leucorrhoea, 3 mg powder each of Ashwagandha and Vidara can be taken daily with milk.
Rasayana Chikitsa (Rejuvenation Therapy)
Rasayana Chikitsa is a massage with medicated oils or a steam bath for one to 2 hours. Rasayana chiktisa, or rejuvenation therapy, helps regulate your metabolism and removes toxins and harmful substances from the body. It promotes longevity by minimising the wearing and tearing of tissue in the body. It helps to improve immunity, complexion, sensory perceptibility, and memory and restores youthfulness. This chiktisa nourishes blood and lymph, thus preventing arthritis. It helps to improve your sexual stamina.