What is panch phoron
Panch phoron consists of two words: Panch means five, and Phoron means flavour. It is an amalgam of five spices with individual distinct flavours and tastes. Thus, it gives a unique flavour and delicious flavour to the recipes. Panch phoron is the blend of five essential spices, i.e. fenugreek seed, nigella seed (kalonji), cumin seed, black mustard seed, and fennel seed in equal proportion. However, to have more/less taste of a particular ingredient, the quantity of the said spice can be increased/decreased. It is commonly used to make different recipes in India and Bangladesh. In India it is popular in the northern and Eastern parts of India but is well admired in Bengal, where they can’t imagine Bengali food without panchpuran.
Different names of panch phoron
- Paanch phorana (Maithila)
- Padkaune Masala (Nepal)
- Pas phoron (Assam)
- Pãch phoṛon (Bengal)
- Panchu phutana (Oriya)
- Padkaune masala
- Panch Puran
- Panch phoron
- Panch phutana
- Bengali five spice
- Panch phora
- Panch Puran
- Panch poran
- Panch Puran
Top benefits of Panch phoron
There are many health benefits of Paanch phorana. Some of the essential benefits are being mentioned below:
- cumin in the five-recipe helps to secrete pancreatic juice, thus suitable for smooth digestion. It also acts as an appetiser.
- Cumin seeds are good for healthy and glowing skin.
- Fenugreek seeds are beneficial for breast milk.
- Fenugreek seeds are helpful for diabetic patients.
- Fenugreek seeds are also used to enhance the fair complexion.
- Nigella seeds are helpful for more or less all types of diseases and disorders. These are regarded as seeds of a miracle cure.
- Fennel seeds are good at lowering blood pressure.
- These seeds are also suitable for cardiac problems and developing body immunity.
Best uses of Panch phoron
- The best use of panch phoron is to prepare yummy recipes to satisfy your taste buds because of its flavouring solid aroma.
- Grind panch phoron is hardly used for different recipes. However, ground panch poran is used with eggs, cheese, salads, sausages, soup, paneer, lamb, and pork, especially in towns and cities.
- It is used to enrich the flavour of different vegetables.
- To increase taste, it prepares chicken, lentils, and fish.
How to use Panch phoron
The Bengal five spices are fried in oil or ghee on the frying pan. When they start popping, known as tempering, it indicates mixing the other ingredients with it. This tempering process is known as Baghaar in Oriya, phoron in Bengal, and Chaunk in Hindi. It is the time when aroma starts coming out from the ingredients. Put the vegetables or other recipes on the frying pan you want to cook. The different simple processes of using these five Bengali- spices are used during the preparation of vegetables. It should be sprinkled from above, mixing it well in the frying pan. It also gives a pungent smell to the recipe.
Panch puran recipe
The various ingredients used in the making of panchpuran recipe are as follows: Kalonji seeds (1tbsp), fenugreek seeds (1tbsp), mustard seeds (1tbsp), fennel seeds (1tbsp), and cumin seeds (1tbsp). The mixture is prepared and kept in a jar to use occasionally. Some of the essential recipes are:
- Potato curry with panch puran and tamarind
- Bengali fish curry with punchpuran
- Spinach with punch program
- The recipe of lentil and punch phoron
- Red masoor dal with punchporan
- Pumpkin and shrimp sabzi-punch puran for tempering
- Aamer ambal aur chaatni-ground punchpuran is used.
- Tomato khejur cranberry chutney
Selection of panch phoron
Preparing pãch phoṛon at home is better than buying it from the shop. One shouldn’t use ground panchphoron as its aromatic flavour is transient. Try to purchase those spices which are field-grown or cultivated organically. While buying it from the shop, please make clear that there is no moisture in the composition. One should also be clear about the expiry date.
How to store
After preparing the Bengali five-spice, it is suggested to be kept in a tight glass container. It should be kept in a dry, dark, and cool place.
Hindi name of Panch Phoron
The Hindi name of Panch Phoron is पन्चफोरन
English name of Panch phoron
The English name of Panch phoron is ‘ Five Spices.’