What is panch phoron
Panch phoron consists of two words: Panch means five and Phoron means flavor. It is an amalgam of five spices with individual distinct flavor and taste. Thus, it gives a unique flavor and delicious taste to the recipes. Panch phoron is the blend of five important spices i.e. fenugreek seed, nigella seed (kalonji), cumin seed, black mustard seed, and fennel seed in equal proportion. However, to have more/less taste of a particular ingredient, the quantity of the said spice can be increased/decreased. It is commonly used to make different recipes in India and Bangladesh. In India, it is popular in the northern as well as Eastern parts of India but it is well admired in Bengal where they can’t imagine Bengali food without panchpuran.
Different names of panch phoron
- Paanch phorana (Maithila)
- Padkaune Masala (Nepal)
- Pas phoron (Assam)
- Pãch phoṛon (Bengal)
- Panchu phutana (Oriya)
- Padkaune masala
- Panch puran
- Panch phoron
- Panch phutana
- Bengali five spice
- Panch phora
- Panch puran
- Panch poran
- Panch puran
Top benefits of Panch phoron
There are many health benefits of Paanch phorana. Some of the important benefits are being mentioned below:
- The presence of cumin in the five-recipe helps to secrete pancreatic juice thus good for smooth digestion. It also acts as an appetizer.
- Cumin seeds are good for healthy and glowing skin.
- Fenugreek seeds are beneficial for breast milk.
- Fenugreek seeds are useful for diabetic patients.
- Fenugreek seeds are also used to enhance the fair complexion.
- Nigella seeds are useful for more or less all types of diseases and disorders. These are regarded as seeds of a miracle cure.
- Fennel seeds are good at lowering blood pressure.
- These seeds are also good for cardiac problems and developing immunity of the body.
Best uses of Panch phoron
- The best use of panch phoron is to prepare yummy recipes to satisfy your taste buds because of its strong flavoring aroma.
- Grind panch phoron is hardly used for different recipes. However, ground panch poran is used with eggs, cheese, salads, sausages, soup, paneer, lamb, and pork, especially in the towns and cities.
- It is used to enrich the flavor of different vegetables.
- It is used in the preparation of chicken, lentils, and fish to increase its taste.
How to uses Panch phoron
The Bengal five spices are fried either in oil or ghee on the frying pan. When they start popping, which is known as tempering, indicates to make mix the other ingredients with it. This tempering process is known as Baghaar in Oriya, phoron in Bengal, and Chaunk in Hindi. It is the time when aroma starts coming out from the ingredients. Now, put the vegetables or other recipes on the frying pan, which you want to cook. The other simple process of using these Bengali five- spice is to use during the preparation of vegetables. It should be sprinkled from above followed by mixing it well in the frying pan. It also gives a pungent smell to the recipe.
Panch puran recipe
The various ingredients are used in the making of panchpuran recipe are as follows Kalonji seeds (1tbsp), fenugreek seeds (1tbsp), mustard seeds (1tbsp), fennel seeds (1tbsp), and cumin seeds (1tbsp). The mixture is prepared and kept in a jar to use from time to time. Some of the important recipes are:
- Potato curry with panch puran and tamarind
- Bengali fish curry with punchpuran
- Spinach with punch poram
- The recipe of lentil and punch phoron
- Red msoor dal with punchporan
- Pumpkin and shrimp sabzi-punch puran for tempering
- Aamer ambal aur chaatni-ground punchpuran is used.
- Tomato khejur cranberry chutney
Selection of panch phoron
It is better to prepare pãch phoṛon at home instead of buying it from the shop. One shouldn’t use ground panchphoron as its aromatic flavor is transient in nature. Try to purchase those spices which are field-grown or cultivate organically. While buying it from the shop, please make clear that there is no moisture in the composition. One should also clear about the expiry date.
How to store
After preparing the Bengali five-spice, it is suggested to keep in a tight glass container. It should be kept in a dry, dark, and cool place.
Hindi name of Panch phoron
The Hindi name of Panch Phoron is पन्चफोरन
English name of Panch phoron
The English name of Panch phoron is ‘ Five Spices’
3 thoughts on “Panch Phoron Recipes, Uses and Benefits”
Where’s it sold in east London thx
You can get it mail order from SousChef which is online. I have no connection to them other than as a happy customer