Diabetes is not a disease, in fact, it is a condition, which is characterized by excess flow of urine associated with sugar elimination. Diabetes gradually engulfs the patient slowly and secretly without showing its symptoms for a longer period of time. Diabetes is more common in men than women. Due to our faulty lifestyle, it is not only attacking the age group of 40-50 but also the youth. There are many natural food items, which are helpful in the prevention, control, management, and treatment of diabetes.
- Sugar in blood and urine is a sure sign of diabetes.
- Excessive thirst
- Frequent passing of urine
- Frequent appearance of boils
- Wounds not healing
- Pain in the feet
- Poor eyesight
- Weakness due to increase in sugar levels
- Higher blood pressure
- Dry skin
Best natural treatment for diabetes
If you want to get rid of diabetes, besides, exercises and yoga, you can take the below-given foods, which are not only beneficial in the treatment but also helpful in the prevention and control of diabetes.
- Lemon: Taking lemon water is quite beneficial in diabetes. It improves blood sugar control thereby protect blood vessels by preventing cholesterol deposition.
- Orange: An orange a day is okay for a diabetic patient. Oranges help to manage the sugar level. Orange peel should be dried in the shade and ground into powder form. Boil 4 tsp. of it in a glass of water, strain, and drink it daily.
- Mango: Though eating of mangoes in diabetes is prohibited. But the mixed juice of mango and rose apple in equal quantity taken regularly for a few days will help to cure diabetes.
- Amla: Fresh Amla juice mixed with honey is good in the prevention of diabetes.
- Rose apple: A diabetic patient should take rose apples daily. In homeopathy, the juice of rose apple known as Cegium Jambolinum is used for the cure of diabetes. 1 tsp. of the churan of rose apple kernel taken daily in the evening with water cures the problem of sugar in the urine. Grind dried rose apple kernel and bitter gourd in equal quantity. Take a tsp. of it with water twice a day.
- Tomato: Tomatoes are very beneficial for patients with diabetes. It gradually reduces the sugar in the urine. They are also useful in other urinary diseases.
- Carrots: Take mixed juice of carrots (310 gms.) and spinach (185 gms.).
- Radish: It is beneficial for diabetics. Its juice is also useful.
- Bitter gourd: Take 15 ml. of the juice of bitter gourd mixed with 100 litre of water thrice daily for three months. Also eat bitter gourd as a cooked vegetable. Taking 6 gms. powder of bitter gourd dried in the shade once every day will provide relief from sugar in the urine. Boil 250 gms. of bitter gourd in 1 litre of water. When it is reduced to half the quantity, strain, and drink it.
- Ladyfinger: Cut the stems of ladies fingers and dry it in the shade. Grind it into a fine powder and sieve it. Mix sugar candy in equal quantity and take 1 tsp. of it with cool water
daily in the morning on empty stomach. It will cure diabetes. This has been corroborated by the experience of patients who have benefited from it.
- Turnip: Diabetics should regularly eat the vegetable of turnip.
- Wheat: The juice of wheatgrass is beneficial in diabetes.
- Fenugreek: The use of fenugreek seeds cures diabetes. Its seeds reduce the amount of sugar in the blood. They also reduce the sugar in the urine by 65 percent. Its effect can be
noticed within ten days. Taking fenugreek seeds with water 15 minutes before the meals is quite beneficial. Its dose varies from 25 to 100 gms. It can be taken in any form–cooked as a vegetable with water, in powdered form mixed with wheat flour and baked as chapatis, with rice, pulses, chutney, or its powder mixed in milk or water. Continue its use as long urine contains sugar. It not only reduces the sugar but also lowers the cholesterol. When you are using fenugreek seeds, gradually reduce the intake of medicines for diabetes and finally stop them altogether. Soak 60 gms. of finely ground fenugreek seeds in a glass of water. Strain and drink it after twelve hours. Take it twice daily in the morning and evening for 6 weeks to cure diabetes.
Also, eat fenugreek leaves cooked as a vegetable along with it.
- Gram: Soak overnight 28 gms. of black gram in milk and eat it the following morning. Also, mix black gram and barley in equal quantity and grind it. Use this flour to prepare chapatis and eat them in the morning and evening. Eating chapatis made of besan for ten days stops the passage of sugar with urine.
- Turmeric: If there is frequent and excessive flow of urine and you feel thirsty, take 8 gms. of turmeric powder twice daily with water. It will prove beneficial.
- Honey: When you have an urge to eat something sweet, take a little honey instead of sugar. It will check diabetes and save you from chronic diseases of the kidney. Take honey only to satisfy your urge to eat something sweet. Otherwise, it should not be taken.
- Dates: In diabetes and other diseases where eating sugar is harmful but you have a strong urge to eat it, you may eat dates in a small quantity.
- The patient should consume more of green vegetables, Daal and curd. Bitter gourd (raw or cooked as a vegetable) and rose apple are beneficial.
- Taking Triphala Churan is beneficial.
- Diabetes causes weakness in the body. Eat raw or tender coconut to gain energy. Also, take cashews, groundnuts, and walnuts soaked in water. Taking curd, buttermilk and soybean is also beneficial.
- Diabetics should not eat sweet food items such as sugar, jaggery, sugar candy, sweet fruits, rice, and products made of fine flour (maida).
- If diabetes is not under control, do not eat wheat flour chappati alone, mix it with barley and gram (3 kg. barley, 1 kg. wheat, and 1 kg. gram and grind it).
- Diabetic patients should observe fast on every seventh day. On the day of the fast, they should take only fruits, vegetables, and lemon water without sugar. They should not eat anything else.
- Processed foods should be avoided.
- White bread and French fries should strictly be skipped.