What is Chikungunya?
Chikungunya is a viral disease caused by infected female mosquitoes- Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus have No cure. The biting of these mosquitoes is more common in the early morning and early evening. The word chikungunya is derived from the Kimakonde language, whose meaning is ‘to become contorted’. The most significant factor for the disease is the breeding of mosquitoes near human settlements. The disease has been reported in different parts of the world, such as Africa, Asia, Europe, and America. The No cure disease can be managed and treated through Alternative Medicine such as Homeopathy, Ayurveda, Yoga, Siddha, Home remedies, Naturopathy, and Unani.
Symptoms of Chikungunya
The disease has many signs and symptoms, but fever and severe joint pain are the most important and debilitating symptoms. The disease symptoms start after 4 to 8 days of biting the infected Aedes mosquitoes. Some signs remained for a long time, especially joint pain. A few of the important symptoms of the dreaded disease are:
- Acute joint pain
- Muscular pain
Diagnosis of chikungunya
- Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assays (ELISA) test where IgM antibody is continuously highest.
- Reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR).
- The symptoms are very similar to dengue and Zika
Best treatments for chikungunya
No such medicines are available to treat chikungunya, but Alternative Medicine and home remedies can be treated, prevented, and controlled to a greater extent. Here, I will explain how Ayurveda, Yoga, Homeopathy, Naturopathy, Siddha, Home Remedies, and Unani are helpful in the prevention and treatment of chikungunya.
Wonder home remedies for Chikungunya
- Try these effective natural home remedies to reduce the ferocity of fever and joint pain to a certain extent.
- The combination of honey and lime juice is helpful in this case.
- The application of garlic paste in the joint regions is helpful to ease joint pain.
- The mix of honey (1tsp), warm water (200gram) and celery seeds (3gram) is useful.
- Eating and crunching carrots is helpful to ease joint pain.
- Grapes and Cow milk are beneficial in chikungunya.
- The juice of papaya is good during the disease.
- The light massage at the joint region is helpful.
- Stew peppers are rich in anti-inflammatory properties and may be taken to subsidise pain.
- Vitamin C and leafy green vegetables should be preferred.
- Easily digestible food should consume
- Use ginger and turmeric frequently in your diet.
- Give much more thrust to a liquid diet
- Coconut water is quite beneficial in such cases.
- The drinking of wheatgrass juice is helpful to ease the various symptoms.
- Drink fresh fruit juice
Ayurveda for Chikungunya treatment
- Boiled water (1 litre), Tulsi leaves (10), and coriander powder (10 grams) for 10 minutes, followed by cooling it. Consume it after three hours for the whole day to ease the symptoms of chikungunya.
- Its fever can be managed by taking Tribhuvan Kriti (125-250mg) twice daily for five days.
- Vettumarana Vati (125-250 mg) may be taken twice a day for seven days and is also helpful in controlling its symptoms.
- Take Ashvagandha powder (5gm) with milk to overcome fever.
Yoga for Chikungunya Prevention
- For chikungunya patients: Practising Pranayama and doing light loosening yogic exercises is helpful.
- Practice Sitali and Sheetkari Pranayama to minimise the severity of fever.
- To ease joint pain, one should practice loosening yogic exercises like to and fro of toes and up and down wrists by straightening your legs and hands.
- The practice of Chandrabehdi Pranayama is good for reducing fever.
- Nadishodhan Pranayama is also helpful.
- In Naturopathy, hot fermentation of the affected joints is beneficial.
- Application of ice-cold pack over the forehead.
- Rub your body lightly with a soaked water cloth to reduce fever.
- Consult your nearby Naturopathy physicians for better management of the disease.
Unani for chikungunya treatment
- Unani medicine is good in the prevention and management of chikungunya fever.
- Habb-e-leer Bukhar (2 pills) with lukewarm twice a day is good for reducing fever.
- Unani medicine like Habb-e-Asgand (2 pills), twice a day, helps reduce the fever of chikungunya.
- In such a case, a person’s immunity level gets reduced, for one should take Khamira Marwareed (4 grams) twice daily.
- Unani repellents like Raughan-i-neem and Raughan-i-Kameela can be used on the skin.
Homoeopathy remedy for Chikungunya fever
Homoeopathy medicine is beneficial in curing chikungunya fever. After consulting with the physicians, one can take Homeopathy medicines according to the symptoms.
- Eupatorium perfolatum: This homeopathic medicine is effective for all the symptoms of chikungunya fever.
- Rhus Toxicodendron: Fever, joint pain, and restlessness
- China Officinalis: Fever and headache
- Pyroginum: Fever with sweating
- Arnica Montana: severity of pain
- Arsenic album: Septic fever
- Gelsemium, Sulphur, Bryonia, and Aconite nepllus are good for fever
Siddha treatment for chikungunya
Siddha medicines are helpful in the treatment and management of chikungunya fever. The following Siddha medicine can be taken after the consultation with a Siddha doctor. Arumuga chendooram, Nilvembu kudineer, Amukkara Chooranam, Vishnu chakkara mathirai, Trikadugu choornam, Linga chendooram, Bramanandha bairavam, etc.
We all know the proverb ‘prevention is better than cure’ is appropriately suited for this disease. Here, some of the preventive measures are given to control chikungunya.
- It is suggested to take maximum rest.
- Take more and more fluids to prevent dehydration.
- Insecticides should spread regularly.
- Fogging of the area should be frequent.
- Advised to wear clothes like full sleeves and long pants or trousers to protect your body from mosquito exposure.
- Repellent can be used.
- It is pretty effective if repellents contain DEET (N, N-diethyl-3-methylbenzamide), IR3535 (3-[N-acetyl-N-butyl]-amino propionic acid ethyl ester) or icaridin (1-piperidine carboxylic acid, 2-(2-hydroxyethyl)-1-methylpropylester).
- Using nets should be encouraged.
- One can take medicine like paracetamol to reduce fever after consultation with your physician.
- Don’t take aspirin.
- Avoid cold food items.