What is a Datura plant?
Datura is an herbaceous perennial plant, which is grown in the temperate and tropical regions of the globe. All the species of Datura are poisonous in nature. Some are aphrodisiac too. The seeds and flowers are more poisonous in nature. Sometimes, datura is termed as witches weeds and shows properties like deadly nightshade and henbane. Datura use is known for feverish state and even death. However, in Ayurveda, it is used as medicine and ritual as well as prayers has also placed. Even being a poisonous plant, datura has been using since ancient times by Ayurveda physicians, spiritual purposes, holy men, and its use in modern medicine drugs.
Datura seeds parts used are seeds, flowers, and leaves. All the parts of datura contain dangerous levels of poison like tropane alkaloids atropine, hyoscyamine, scopolamine, which are considered deliriants or anticholinergics.
Datura should be taken only after consultation from a good practitioner as the difference between a medical dose and a toxic dose is very very small.
Initially, datura was found in the United States of America but now it is spread all over the world. In the United States, datura is generally found in Southern America and Mexico. Datura is found in the deserts of America such as southern California, east Texas, and northern regions of Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, and Nevada. It grows wild in the tropical as well as the temperate climate where it is found in the roadside area as well as the medicinal plant nursery. In Europe, it grows like a weed on the wasteland and garbage. In India, it is distributed in the Himalayan region.
Common names of Datura
It has been known by many names such as jimson weed, stinkweed, mad apple, thorn apple stramonium, datura tatula, and datura seeds. Datura is also known by other common names such as Devil’s snare, hell’s bell, devil’s trumpet, devil’s weed, tolguacha, locoweed, pricklyburr, and devil’s cucumber.
- English Name- Thorn apple, Devil’s trumpet, Metal
- Hindi Name- Sada Dhatura
- Tamil Name- Ummattangani/ Vella- Ummathai
- Telugu Name- Ummetta
- Bengal Name- Dhattura
- Gujarati name – Dhattura
- Marathi Name-Dhattura
- Kannada name- Unmatta, Dhattura
- Malayalam Name- Unmatta, Dhattura
- Arabic name – Datur
- Persian name – Tatur
Datura uses for hair fall
Utmost precautions should be taken while ingesting datura as it may seriously harm you or kill you.
- Datura is used as a poison because of the presence of alkaloids such as scopolamine, hyoscyamine, and atropine.
- The growing datura plant acts like insect repellent thereby protects other plants from insects.
- The juice of the datura plant is applied over the scalp to treat hair fall, hair loss, and dandruff.
- Botanical name: Datura stramonium
- Kingdom: Plantae
- Division: Magnoliophyta
- Class: Magnoliopsida
- Order: Solanales
- Family: Solanaceae (deadly Nightshade family)
- Genus: Datura
- Species: Datura stramonium
List of Datura species
- Datura wrightii also called Southwestern Thorn Apple
- Datura stramonium also called Jimson weed
- Datura metaloides also called sacred datura
- Datura inoxia named as Toloache
- Datura discolor is also known as Moonflower.
- Datura ceratocaula
- Datura ferox: long-spined thorn-apple
- Datura leichhardti: Leichhardt’s datura
- Datura quercifolia: Oak-leaf thorn-apple
Datura drugs and medicinal benefits
Recently, the FDA has recognized the medicinal uses of Datura because of the presence of chemical compounds such as scopolamine and atropine.
- Flying Ointment: Flying ointment is used by medieval witches of Europe so that they can fly. The flying ointment is a complex drug that is made from plants such as henbane, hemlock, wolfsbane, and some plants from the nightshade family. The ointment is used to apply on the soles of the feet, vagina, and armpits.
- Ayahuasca brews: Ayahuasca brew is used by shamans to make the brew. Only 2-3 leaves are used for 30-40 people.
- Smoking blends of datura and cannabis are used as smoke because it is not ruthless and burns easier.
- It has been used by British soldiers to treat respiratory problems. Both scopolamine and atropine are used as sedatives and sometimes help in curing motion sickness, nausea, and dizziness.
- Datura has been used in Ayurveda for asthma symptoms where jimson weed’s leaves are smoked in cigarettes or pipes.
- The Zuni once used it as an analgesic for bone setting while the Chinese were used as anesthesia during surgery.
Datura seeds benefits
- Datura leaves are used to treat pain. The paste of roasted leaves is applied over the area to relieve pain.
- It is used as herbal medicine, especially in the case of Ayurveda for asthma and bonesetting.
- Jimson weed is used to treat spasms of bronchitis in asthma.
- Datura seeds and leaves are used as antiasthmatic, antispasmodic, hypnotic, and narcotic.
- Externally, the jimson seeds are used in treating fistulas and abscesses
- Datura leaves are enriched with hyoscyamine and atropine, can be used as mind-altering drugs.
- The oil extract from the datura seed is used to treat baldness and stimulate the growth of hair.
Datura leaves benefits
- The leaves of the datura are good to relieve headaches.
- The vapor of datura leaves infusion is used to relieve arthritis such as rheumatism and gout.
- The burning leaf smoke of datura is good to treat asthma and bronchitis.
- The ethanol extract from datura leaves is used as acaricidal, repellent, and oviposition deterrent properties against mites.
- The ethanol extract of datura is used as a repellent against larva and mosquito.
- The leaves of datura are used to treat heart problems like palpitations and hypertension.
- Datura leaves juice is used to treat earache.
- Boils can also be overcome by applying datura leaves as a poultice.
Datura side effects
- Datura is a poisonous plant, so it should be taken only after consultation with experienced physicians.
- Datura chemicals such as scopolamine and atropine are used as poison and used in murders and suicides.
- Datura increases the heartbeat and may lead to cardiac arrest.
- Ingesting datura may cause violent behavior because of the presence of chemical substances called anticholinergic.
- Taking datura results in dilated pupils.
- One can also experience amnesia due to this.
- Blurred vision, nausea, giddiness, confusion, rapid pulse, hyperthermia are some of the side effects of datura.
- Datura can affect the nervous system adversely.
- The juice of datura leaves is also very harmful to the eyes.
13 thoughts on “Datura stramonium (Common Name: Jimson Weed) Medicinal Uses, Side Effects, and Benefits”
wow datura is aprecious plant though it appears to be a useless plant infact it is very useful in the medical purpose
Would you prepare the ointment with the seeds for balding & a benefit for boils & lacerations? I have two of these plants which actually grew into small trees. In the morning they made beautiful purplish,blue blooms and closed toward afternoon. I just learned what they were after pruning back my garden. What are your thoughts.
Can we eat dathura fruit????? How it use or smoke
I was told the flower makes me people Trip out. Is this true. As a friend of mine wants to try the trumpet flower for medicinal use. I am concerned greatly. But would really appreciate some feed back on this matter urgently. Please email me
For the patient of asthma, take 1 leaf and boil it and inhale the vapor from the steam for asthma and breathing problems. Or smash the leaf and use it on the skin for pain.
I heard from somebody that datura seeds powder is used for permanent facial hair remover.. Is it true?
what and how is the use of stramonium in case of malikholia, depression, schizophrenia.plz reply must
how you can control datura stramonium in the rangelands
“Initially, datura was found in United States of America but now it is spread all over the world.”
That’s actually not true, maybe for some species of datura, but, the europeans and asians knew about it, the chinese keep a couple of nightshade family plants as part of their(chinese) pharmacopeia, one or two of them are species of datura, and we know Herodotus documented that, using the roots of this plant as a tea/concoction, is highly advised against, due to the terrible effects it may yield on the person consuming it.
Can we prevent our headache from dhatura
Datura stramonium is poisonous yet it has some medicinal values like setting of bones,treatment of boils,headache,pains relief. The safety is assured if it’s only for medicament; rubbing or applying externally on the affected regions.
I like to eat datura!